IGNORED

60 Degree How Far?

edk
Note: This thread is 6029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, is a lob wedge a must? Have I been a fool for using my SW for all shots within 75 yards?

I bought the Tom Watson 3 wedge set and it came with one; personally I would not miss it because I grab the SW anyways.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I'll use my 60/8 from 80 yards in. I also have a 52 and 56 in the bag so it really depends on what kind of lie and approach I'm looking at. Do I want more or less run, etc when the ball hits down is a big factor.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

The best answer so far has been emphasis on control.

This post made me chuckle.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

ok , there's a smart man.

It's what I've grown up learning to do. From 100, it's a nice, repeatable, easy swing. Some people use a rake to clear the yard, others, a leafblower.

I agree with the reasoning though. if a 7 iron were my 100 yard club, it'd be my 100 yard club.
This post made me chuckle.

Because everyone on the internet can hit the ball 400 yards, or otherwise? ;)

Because everyone on the internet can hit the ball 400 yards, or otherwise? ;)

Dude I hit it a ton, but not even I can hit it that far. 135 with a draw, wow. I bet that one guy who said he would be scratch within a year probably pulls his sixty from about 205.

Dude I hit it a ton, but not even I can hit it that far. 135 with a draw, wow. I bet that one guy who said he would be scratch within a year probably pulls his sixty from about 205.

lol. I've read back through enough posts to know who you're talking about. Did he ever win those majors? I'm aware of how keyboard warrior-ish it sounds, and as such, it took me a while to figure out if responding was worth it, knowing the flaming that'd ensue. In the end, I figured I'd offer up my take regardless of the e-beating I'd recieve.

60 degree, controlled swing, 80 yards. balls out 90 yards. if i blade it(skull it), 120 yards hahaha

i usually dont take too many full swings with that club. i love when i get the chance to open it up and play a nice flop shot.

toby
in my bag:
driver: titleist D1 9.5 stiff3 & 5 wood: taylormade burner stiffhybrid: taylormade rescue mid 21 stiffirons: mizuno mp-60 4 thru pwwedges: cleveland cg 10's (52,56,60)putter: scotty cameron Newport 2 (35 inch)balls: titleist pro v1 (how do you...

Wow, you guys are brutes ... I use my SW from 70 - 80, LW from 55 - 70 or over bunkers to the green. I never hit the SW/LW with more than a 3/4 swing. But, if there's enough wind to make me doubt club selection I take the yardage, multiply by 2, subtract ten yards and do a half swing with the appropriate club... seems to work pretty well

In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

lol. I've read back through enough posts to know who you're talking about.

"the e-beating"...LOL!!!

I didn't think it was physically possible to hit a 60* lob wedge 135 yards with a 5-10 yard draw...man, that's a lotta distance to cover. You gotta 42 inch shaft on that 60?

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

"the e-beating"...LOL!!!

lol. No, standard length, green dot Ping Tour wedge.

I've never been able to use a neutral grip (wrists dissagree with it rather heavily...), a somewhat stronger grip has always been my play. Combine that, a lot of lag, and my tendency to deloft most of my clubs, and there you go. (Or so, it'd seem to me.) I'm sure there has to be someone else doing the same/similar. It's just not the average statistic anyone seems to bother tracking openly(for the obvious reason that it's a scoring club, and not a fairway wood). Proving a bit difficult. Hence the reply to this thread.

Haha, I'm still laughing at this one. 135 yd, 60* wedge with a 5-10 yard draw. Haha, man that's good stuff.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Im also hitting my 60 degree about 60 yards.. Usually dont pull it out from that range though.. 40 and in.. Buried bunker lies.. etc..

In my Syncro Bag;
Driver SQ Sumo 9.5
3 Wood Sumo 2 13
Hybrids SQ Sumo2 20
Irons CCI 4-SWWedge SV Black Chrome Milled 60Putter White Hot XG #9 34"Ball Pro V1

about 50 yards
sometimes i lose distance when i do full swing, because i release too early and the club head ends up passing under the ball.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I generally try to hit my lob wedge about 80 yards as this is a length where i dont have to swing hard to acheive a distance, it helps my distance and direction control to take a 3/4 swing and take a little bit off the shot.

However there was one hole on my course a while ago that was so in to wind we were hitting hard 7 irons from 100 yards short of the green, so when we got to the green i got my lob wedge out turned round and hit it as hard as i could down the fairway, it reached the 150 yard marker lol

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

To me this is a silly question. Trying to max out your 60* for distance seems completely foolish to me. It's what God made 56* wedges for. Ninety percent of handicap golfers would be much better off without the 60* entirely, and a 20 'capper telling you he hits it 100-110 is telling you stories... unless he bladed it.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

Consequences of the above: As of the moment, a "normal", solid swing results in a 130-135 yard 5-10 yard draw with the 60. (no back/wrist/shoulder pain, and I can make the swing with my feet closed - I'm not coming out of my shoes. It just feels right.)

Man, how do you get the sole of your iron to contact the equator of the ball so consistently like that?

The only thing that would have made this post funnier is if you had been like a 26 handicap.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

Note: This thread is 6029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!