IGNORED

Tired of People Hating on the 3-iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you carry a 3-iron? What's your handicap index?

• Yes; Single Digits
    • No; Single Digits
    • Yes; 10-18
    • No; 10-18
    • Yes; 19+
    • No; 19+

[rant]You know, I'm getting tired of people hating on the 3-iron. I've got a hybrid in the bag - it fills my 2-iron/5-wood distance gap - so I'm not some neanderthal who is opposed to hybrids because I think they're emasculating or something. But dammit, I'm keeping my 3-iron for awhile, and my 4-iron is staying in the bag, too!

Hell, I still carry a 1-iron!

Driver: SUMO 5000 8.5* w/ Aldila Proto-65 X 45.5"
3-wood: SQ w/ Diamana 83 X +1"
Hybrid: SuMo 2h w/ Project X +1"
Irons: MP-33 1-PW w/ TT X100 Sensicore +1"
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm putting my money where my mouth is: I picked up a 3-Iron today. It's a former demo club from Cobra. It's less of a game improvement club than the rest of my irons. I'm going to hit it a few times at the range and maybe putting it in the bag.

Results? I don't know. But I'm going to give it a try.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use my 3 iron when there is a par 3 where I'll need it. Or a course that has really low rough.

For the most part I have ended up with a 200 yard shot on a par five out of the rough. When I try to hit a 3 iron out of the rough from that distance I either end up short in the water/bunker or if I catch a flyer I air mail it over the green. I prefer the iron but the 22 degree hybrid is great out of the rough.

I'll never replace my 4 iron. Well maybe in another 30 years.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

There aren't many times I will use my 3i unless it is off the tee. I bet I average less then one 3i shot per round, it might be closer to one 3i shot every couple rounds. If I am using a club that requires that kind of distance it raises a flag for me, you know the risk/reward flag. Am I going to layup on a par3, no but if I have to hit an approach with it then I really have to think about it.

The 3i for me is about 225 or and truthfully it's not the most reliable club in my bag, so with that said if I am even thinking about using my 3i my margin of error better be huge near my landing zone. If I am hitting into a green with my 3i and I had 10 chances to do it I would probably only hit the green no more then 3-4 times. Thats just on the green, I might get 1 that is near where I wanted it to end up. So 60-70% of the time it is going to take me 2 shots to get on the green from that distance so again the area around the green better have a lot of safe or I am hitting to one of my automatic wedge distances instead of the possibility of having a really hard next shot onto the green.

For me the 3i is all about confidence but just don't use it enough during the round to get enough confidence with it.

I definitely don't hate the 3 iron, I just know I'm going to get better results overall with my hybrid. I carry a 21 degree Callaway X hybrid in place of my 3 iron, and it's been a big part of my game improving over the last year. Last month I hit a par 5 green in two shots for the first time in my life using it. :)

I'm not taking out the 4 iron though. *crosses arms* If I can't hit it, it just means I need to work harder, not buy another club.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

3i is my go-to club when nothing else is working.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand what the problem is...if you can hit it well, then by all means hit it. I don't think Tiger uses any hybrids.

I use a 3h and don't even have a 2.. But then again I have been playing for 4 months

In My Bag:

Driver: Fusion FT-i, Neutral, 10° Stiff
3-wood: 1200 LT, 15° Metal
5-wood: 1200 LT, 17° MetalUtility: Ignite 3HIrons: Ignite 3-PWWedges: Black Pearl SW 56°Putter: :Slazenger circa 90'Ball: Pro V1x

[QUOTE=iacas;84103][rant]You know, I'm getting tired of people hating on the 3-iron. " what sort of english is that ? one does not hate on something you either hate it or you do not.

[QUOTE=mstuk;91548]

[rant]You know, I'm getting tired of people hating on the 3-iron. " what sort of english is that ? one does not hate on something you either hate it or you do not.

Too right mate, Grammer and Punctuation are key.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

• 1 month later...
I still carry a 3-iron... I even carry a 2-iron... the hell with the hybrids they aren't needed... which leads me to a very good point and I may post this as a thread... Irons are losing loft fast... The DI7 irons have a 43 degree PW which is nuts... The golf companies are trying to promote distance way too much... if they want to promote distance there is another way to do it... make the clubheads lighter and bring the 48-51 degree PW back into form... it was once quoted that Jack Nicklaus reached the par 5 15th at Augusta National in the 1963 Masters with a Drive and an 8-iron... when an 8-iron was an 8-iron... In 1997 Tiger Woods reached the same hole with Driver and Pitching wedge twice... and his pitching wedge was a Mizuno Mp-14 that was 2 degrees weaker than Standard which meant it had 52 degrees of loft... (Tiger played Mizuno irons before he switched to the Titleist 681 prototypes, and subseqently the Nike blades)... I can hit a 170-yard Pitching wedge too... I can hit one 190 if I had a 43 or 44 degree... The one I have now is 47... but anyway... the 3-iron is a good club for me because I have a lot of short par fours on my home course... and so is the 2-iron...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't mind my 3 iron, but I don't carry it simply because of my distances and club specs. My 3 iron is only 2 degrees different than my 4, and I carry 4 wedges, so it works out really well! Like the post though. Let people do what they want!

Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

[rant]You know, I'm getting tired of people hating on the 3-iron. I've got a hybrid in the bag - it fills my 2-iron/5-wood distance gap - so I'm not some neanderthal who is opposed to hybrids because I think they're emasculating or something. But dammit, I'm keeping my 3-iron for awhile, and my 4-iron is staying in the bag, too!

Oh my, I don't think I have ever heard a more self-glorifying thread in all my life.

I bet you have got a personalised car registration to haven't you? "I'm in the top 5% of golfers in the world" Who the hell speaks like that man???

In My Bag:

Driver SuperQuad 10.5 deg - Reg
Fairway wood Burner 15 deg - Reg
Hybrid Rescue Dual 19 deg - StiffIrons 775 CB's (3-PW) - RegWedge Vokey 56 deg - StiffPutter Anser 2Bag Extreme light Carry Ball Pro V1

[QUOTE=mstuk;91548]

[rant]You know, I'm getting tired of people hating on the 3-iron. " what sort of english is that ? one does not hate on something you either hate it or you do not.

Sounds like some people could use a lesson in U.S. slang.

"Stop hating on me.." "Hater in the house.." "Why you gotta be hatin' on everything?" And so on

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Oh my, I don't think I have ever heard a more self-glorifying thread in all my life.

Grin.

You may be chastised for that one. Loved it myself.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

The 3i is much better off the tee, and you can vary the trajectory much more (at least thats how it works for me)

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I carry two hybrids, I often wonder if it would be better to only have one and add an extra wedge. When I switched to the 3 hybrid a few years ago, it was because I hit my 3i only about 5-10 yards further than my 4i, and not as consistent. Now, I would probably hit it just as consistent. If I had a 3i, I would use it on windy days and use the hybrid on non-windy days. Also, my 2 hybrid is my money club for a tight fairway, so if I took out a hybrid and added a wedge, then I would still want at least one hybrid in the bag for just this. Also, I will never give up my 4 iron... I hit it great and it's my low hook / slice around trees club. A hybrid will not hit the trouble shots the way an iron will.

Also... someone mentioned lofts of irons getting stronger. I completely agree, this is rediculous, the USGA should make a ruling that PW are 47-49 degrees, 9 irons 44-46 etc.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

The 3i is much better off the tee, and you can vary the trajectory much more (at least thats how it works for me)

I like to hit the 3 off the tee, too. Just curious. When you say better, are you comparing the 3 iron to a 'hybrid'?

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!