IGNORED

iron dilemna

Note: This thread is 6037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so i have been playing the mp 30's for about a year now and i love them. i never knew what feedback was until i hit them. at the time i started playing with them i was playing golf 4 to 5 times a week, 2 or three days at the range and the other two on the course. sometimes 3 days on the course

unfortunately and fortunately at the same time my business has started to really grow and i am not able to play as much. i still put 2 to 3 days a week. hoping for more in the near future. now to my point.

i am looking for a little more forgiving set of irons. i love forged irons but they are not a MUST. i know i need a cavity back but i want to be able to work the ball a bit. my handicap right now is about 13 but is was around 11 about 4 months ago and im looking to getting back to that.

ive hit the taylormade r7 tp's in a local store and loved them but are they any more forgiving than my mp 30's?

anyone hit the r7 cgb's? the titleist 755's?

thanks.

toby
in my bag:
driver: titleist D1 9.5 stiff3 & 5 wood: taylormade burner stiffhybrid: taylormade rescue mid 21 stiffirons: mizuno mp-60 4 thru pwwedges: cleveland cg 10's (52,56,60)putter: scotty cameron Newport 2 (35 inch)balls: titleist pro v1 (how do you...

have you hit the mp 57s yet? i have hit the mx 25's and they are great clubs just a little too bulky for my eye.

anyone have any opinions on the taylormade r7 tp's?

toby
in my bag:
driver: titleist D1 9.5 stiff3 & 5 wood: taylormade burner stiffhybrid: taylormade rescue mid 21 stiffirons: mizuno mp-60 4 thru pwwedges: cleveland cg 10's (52,56,60)putter: scotty cameron Newport 2 (35 inch)balls: titleist pro v1 (how do you...

no I haven't hit the mp-057's only the mx-25's. but they are mizuno's first full cavity players iron and are suppose to play similar blades, only more forgiving. maybe someday when I get my handicap lower I wil get a chance to own some mp57's.

i demo the MP-57 good clubs i like the MP-60 a lot better if i had to chose between the 755 and TP ill go with the 755 but u can not go wrong with both. very similar clubs the TP has a wider sole and feel havier gets the ball up faster in the other hand the 755 more control sliker look also has a square approch and has a flatter trac. best thing demo both the only thing i do not like of the TP is the web thing they have on the sole of the club it looks wired

Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ Avix Tour Red 69(X)
Titleist 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 80(S)
Titleist 585H 17 deg w/ S300
Titleist 690.mb w/ S300
Vokey SM 56 degVokey SM 60 degSCOTTY CAMERON STUDIO STAINLESS NEWPORT 2

This is a great thread. I'm in the same boat as you in that when I bought my Titleist 690.mb blades 4 years ago, I had the swing for them.

Unfortunately, I've experienced some of life's ups and downs, and was only able to muster about 7 to 10 rounds per year for the next couple of years. As far as practice time, well, let's just say that's what I use my front nine for. I've been able to get out again about 3X per month now for the past year or so, and my game is coming back, albeit slowly.

Recently, I got a chance to play 9-holes with my buddy's Titleist 735.cm irons. All I can say is; wow. Playing with those clubs felt like I was cheating. To me, I think the long irons in this set are as easy to hit as any fairway metal I've owned.

As far as feel, well, face it. The only type of club that will duplicate the feel of a well struck shot with blades is another blade, period. However, the feel of these clubs is very good. And, this was the stainless steel set. From what I've read, the carbon ones should provide a slightly softer feel.

I tried the 755's at an outdoor driving range once, but I'm not sure I like them. As far as performance, they were right there. Both the 735's and the 755's seem to hit the ball on the same trajectory (just a little higher than my blades), but they felt a little harsher and vague at the same time. Not really sure if I'm describing that correctly, but that's the feeling I got. Maybe the difference is that on the 735's, the shafts are DGS300 (same as my blades) and the 755's have TT Tri-Spec shafts. Dunno.

Another one that you may want to consider is the Cobra Carbon CB. I hit about 25 balls into one of those similators and it felt really good. Again, they come with the DGS300 shafts, so maybe that has a lot to do with it. The plus side is that you'll feel like Tiger Woods (or John Daly, depending on your daily beer consumption) because their lofts are a little stronger, so you will be anywhere from a half to full-club longer compared to your normal set.

Lastly, since your current shafts should be the DGS300 shafts (those were the default shafts when the MP-30 came out), if you decide that you want the 755's, you can order them with the same shaft at no additional cost.

Good luck in your search,
DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

is there really much of a difference between the mp-30, the r7 tp, and the titleist 755 in terms of difficulty to hit?

toby
in my bag:

Check out the Callaway X Forged. Very forgiving.

I used to play MP30s and the Callaways are a softer forging, sweet at impact and pretty forgiving- PLUS Project X at no charge!

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

ill have to swing the x forged a few times next time i am at the local golf shop.

from what im gathering so far, not too many people have played or have much love for the r7 tp and there is a lot of love for the mp 57's. i was originally thinking of the mp-57's but i wasntsure if they were going to be any easier to hit than the mp30's. from the previous posts i am gathering that they are.

thanks. ill go hit them again.

toby
in my bag:

so i went to a local golf shop today and hit a few of the clubs mentioned above. i loved the mp 57's, i loved the callaway x forged, and i loved the tylormade r7 tp. the r7 tp seemed to be a little more forgiving than the others. it couldve just been my swing that day. i am going to go the a course today that will let me demo them on the range.

the shop that i went to is offering the r7 tp (4-pw) for $620, and the r7 tp (3-pw) for $720. do you all think those are good prices?

toby
in my bag:

so i went to a local golf shop today and hit a few of the clubs mentioned above. i loved the mp 57's, i loved the callaway x forged, and i loved the tylormade r7 tp. the r7 tp seemed to be a little more forgiving than the others. it couldve just been my swing that day. i am going to go the a course today that will let me demo them on the range.

From reading your past posts on this thread it seems like that your mind is set for the r7 TPs. I happened to try them at the range just yesterday because my friend just bought a set. He tried my MP60. Though r7 TP is an excellent club, I could really tell the hardness/clickiness compared to my MP60. However if you like that kind of a feel and matches your taste then it would be an awesome club.

However, after my friend tried my MP60 he decided to return the whole set and wait for MP57 to be release here. He too wanted a cavity back but wanted something more forgiving than MP60 and the feel of Mizuno irons. The price for r7 TP 3-PW my friend bought for was $695 w/ NS Pro Shafts. Price would be the same for TT Dynamic Gold as well.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

i will go back and hit a bucket with those two clubs. i do love the feeling of forged clubs. in your opinion, how would you rate these clubs in regards of forgiveness? mp 30, mp 57, r7 tp, mp 60, x-forged.

toby
in my bag:

wow !!!! i went and hit the mp57's and the r7 tp at the range for a couple of hours. i am so glad that i did because i ended up totally not liking the r7 tp's. they felt good in the store but on the range is a whole different story. i loved the mp 57s, espeicially with the project x shafts. i plan on going and getting fitted next week and ordering a set.

toby
in my bag:

Note: This thread is 6037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!