IGNORED

Practicing on a mat?

Note: This thread is 5997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I detest hitting off of mats. It might be a psychological thing, because I hate hitting off of those rubber tees with my driver as well.

When you're on the course, you never hit off any condition that resembles a mat. I think it reinforces poor swing mechanics. Someone else posted something to the effect of, bring what you learn on the course to the driving range, not the other way around. Sage advice in my opinion.

When you're on the course, you never hit off any condition that resembles a mat. I think it reinforces poor swing mechanics.

I don't really buy that. All you need to know is how to distinguish what a solid shot feels like compared to a fat shot, thin shot, etc. That isn't very tough to do.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

people hit off astro turf because they are too lazy to seek out real grass.

or maybe they want to hit at home but not tear up their yard.. my nearest range is a 30 minute drive away so hitting at home makes sense for me.. i still go to the range but i can't make it as much as i would like..

i am currently looking into mats from these companies.. http://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/ http://www.fiberbuilt.com/golf/ any other comments on these?

in the Ogio Grom stand bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9°
Wood: Taylormade V Steel 15°
Hybrid: Callaway x series 24°
Irons: Taylormade r7 4-SWWedge: Mizuno MP T 58° Putter: Taylormade Rossa Modena 8Ball: TopFlite D2 Feel & recycled Titleist Pro V1x's

Anyone tee up your irons shots, with a short tee (2 inch)? I would think that gives more room to hit down on the ball, but I bet that produces much lower ball flight? I saw one of the pro at the range only teaches with tees.

• 2 weeks later...

My winter practice consists of hitting off mats in a dome. The mats are very firm and unforgiving. As posted earlier you can tell by the sound if you hit a good shot or not. I was looking into an alternative to use and came across the Flextee Launch Pad. It is portable, so I could take it with me for those sessions. I was just wondering if anyone has used this item. Iam a little concerned about the "teflonish" surface scratching clubs. Since I use an old set for the dome I guess it doesn't really matter though.

http://www.insideapproach.com/produc...mber=FT0001-01

IowaChop WITB
Driver:
Hyper X 9*
Fairway Metals:
Big Bertha (2004) 15*, 19*Hybrid:Big Bertha Heavenwood 23*Irons: 4-6 710 CB, 7-PW 710 MBWedges:655TM Fluid Forged Wedge (55/11*) CG 12 DSG 60/3*Putter: Tour Platinum 7801Ball: TP Black LDP
"Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll...

yeah, id say its totally cool to hit off mats. i mean, grass would always be better because there is no golf course made of entirely mats, but when there is no grass, mat is a perfect alternative.

I won't hit anything but my driver off a mat. That club doesn't matter since it's teed up anyway. Hitting off of fake grass does nothing but give misleading feedback... usually makes you think you are swinging better than you are.

Most of my practice year round is short game anyway, and the chipping area at my course is open anytime the course is open.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is hitting off of a mat damaging to your golf clubs? I read on a retail golf store's website that they recommend not hitting graphite shafted drivers off of mats because it can damage them. This is the only time I've read of this and I'm curious if anyone has a definitive answer. With winter approaching I'm going to have to use a mat but I won't if it causes damage to my nice new golf clubs.
Raor~

Driver: Integra SoooLong Quadratic 10.5* with Innovate 603 graphite shaft
3 Wood: Classic Tour HiGHLY 15* with Integra I-Drive graphite shaft (HiBore Clone)
Irons: Tour + C-Quence 3-SW Irons (Nike Pro Combo OS clones)Wedge: T7 TM Series 60* Lob Wedge (TaylorMade R7 Clone)Putter: STX Snyc 9750...

• 2 weeks later...
As long as your aren't hitting everything really fat then it won't be a problem and won't affect your club. After a little while you can learn what a solid shots sounds/feels like.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Is hitting off of a mat damaging to your golf clubs? I read on a retail golf store's website that they recommend not hitting graphite shafted drivers off of mats because it can damage them. This is the only time I've read of this and I'm curious if anyone has a definitive answer. With winter approaching I'm going to have to use a mat but I won't if it causes damage to my nice new golf clubs.

When hitting a driver, you aren't supposed to be hitting the mat anyway, so it shouldn't have any effect on the club or shaft. I've never damaged any club by hitting from mats, and all of my clubs are graphite shafted except my SW and putter.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hitting off a mat is horrible, especially if you don't sweep the ball. Whether you realize it right away or not you are doing damage to your body when hitting down on a mat. They are perfect for hitting a driver or fairway woods because it helps you from digging with those clubs but with long irons you don't get good feed back, sometimes even getting you into bad habits or getting you to change your swing to work on a mat but not as good on grass. Thats why I hate Washington, the growing cycle for grass slows down so damn early that the only range that has real grass around here changes to mats in September.

Note: This thread is 5997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!