IGNORED

Practicing on a mat?

Note:Β This thread is 5997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Just curious if that helps during down time. I have thought about getting a mat and net to put in my garage to hit when I can't make it to the range or if weather is bad. Just concerned with killing my clubs and whether the mat feel messes you up on turf. Thoughts?
What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

swinging a golf club is better than not swinging a golf club. i watched the episode of davis love iii up in his colorado retreat and he said he stays in tune by just swinging in front of a mirror for 50 or so swings.

some people might chime in and say mats hurt there clubs and wrists. i have hit on mats since i started playing. here in st. louis, winter is about 2.5 months long where all you can do is hit balls from a heated range on a mat.

id say go for it

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Well- it's better than nothing

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

We only have swining mats on our driving range because we have quite a lack of space for it.

I don't like swinging on a mat, because it feels different and the ball flight is different as well.

BUT I do think that it is better to swing on a mat instead of doing nothing.

Have a look at "The Golf Mat"! There was an advertisement on the golf channel, where they try to sell a golf mat that would feel and work like hitting from the fairway.

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10,5Β°, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85 Regular
#3 Wood: Taylormade R7 Steel 15Β°, RE*AX 70 Stiff

#4 Rescue: Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 09 22Β°, RE*AX 65 Stiff
3-PW Irons: MP-32 ProjectX 6.0
Wedges: MP-T Black Nickel 51.6 and 56.14 Spinner Rifle Shafts
Putter: Studio Style Newport 2.5 35''

Golfclub Schloss Myllendonk (Par 72, CR 72,9, Slope 134)

I live in MI so you know we're hitting off mats during the 6 months of winter. I like using them if I'm practicing a drill. If not I try to use grass.

Instead of spending money on a mat. I bought a piece of carpet from Meijer's (like Wal-Mart). It's like 4'x6' and fairly think. I put it on my third floar in use it to practice indoors on. You can get the plastic or foam balls and swing away. Just don't get to close to the wall. I have a gash in mine.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

As stated above, look into "The Golf Mat". It is the only thing on an infomercial ive considered buying. Appareently it has more feeling like grass becaus of the springs under the mat....

Driver: FT-3 NVS Stiff
Woods: X- 3 and 5 wood fujikura stiff
irons: X-Forged 4-PW - Flighted Project X 6.0
wedges: X-Tour (52/56/60)
putter: White Hot XG #1 ball: Pro V1/ Callaway HX Tour 56

I would much rather practice off of a mat than some of the range grass tees that are around here. Most are pretty uneven and the grass is scarce. I guess that's why I always feel I hit the ball better on the course than I do on the range.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

range mats a very forgiving and will produce a dececent ball flight if you scoop it or hit way behind the ball. That's why a lot of people think they hit it better on the range(plus they usually don't aim at a target).
Although I guess it is better than nothing. Hit off of grass whenever you've got the oppurtunity

I've hit off a mat a few times this summer (more or less my first time), and I hit it way better than I usually do and changed my swing mechanics to something totally wrong. I had only been playing for a few months before then, though, and hadn't hit a ball in a month before I hit of the mats. I suppose if you are experienced and aren't using it to learn and make adjustments, but to just further ingrain things you already know, then it could be okay, otherwise, to be honest, I'd steer clear of the traditional mat.

This mat seems promising. Anyone care to comment?

I have one and I'd buy it again given the option. I'd say it works as they advertise it. There's plenty of give on each shot and I can't see any wear at all after 3 months of use. I've actually thought about lugging mine (3x5) to the range with me a few times after hitting off some crappy range mats.

You can put a tee in it but the tee moves enough after a hit that it's a little annoying. I picked up a set of these rubber tee holders: http://www.hobokengolf.com/zc/index....roducts_id=639 which are great to use at home or at the range.

Big clubs: :titleist:Β 915D3 @ 9.5Β°, :callaway:Β X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

I don't think hitting of a mat is a big problem. You are supposed to hit the small ball first anyways, right? I doubt any serious golfer has a real problem recognizing when they've struck the golf ball cleanly based on the sound and feel alone.

If it was just down to choosing between one or the other then I am sure I would rather hit off grass. For me it is a choice between driving 10 minutes to the closest range with mats or 35 minutes to the closest grass range, no contest.

The ranges I frequent all have pretty new mats which are quite gentle on the arms in my opinion. Personally I haven't felt that practicing off a mat has caused any problems with my swing.

It's all personal preference. I've seen very few ranges that the grass is even remotely comparable to that you would find on a golf course. I don't really like practicing on loose turf/sand to work on keeping my swing mechanics in place. I generally choose hitting off a mat at the local driving range for practice. I know what it feels like to hit solid shots, fat shots, thin shots, toe shots, heel shots, so I am not concerned with a mat messing with my game. When I am warming up for a round at a course then I will hit from the grass tees.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Note:Β This thread is 5997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!