IGNORED

My swing (porc)

porc
Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

I am slicing the golf ball (ball often starts off to the right and goes right even further due to slice). Any idea why when looking at this video (swing starts at 9 seconds)?

Edited by porc

• Administrator

You swing low and left. Your path is left-ward.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, iacas said:

You swing low and left. Your path is left-ward.

When you say that my path is left ward, are you referencing the path of the clubhead at point of impact (i.e. downswing)? Is this the typical over the top move people reference?

What can I do to change this downswing path? Thanks in advance. 

First thing I would do is fix the grip. Looks very weak and making you setup with the right arm too straight and shoulders aimed too far left. Both of those things would encourage more of a left-ward path, meaning the club is swinging too much across the ball.

The weaker grip (right hand on top) and super straight right arm would also encourage the club to work more inside the hands on the takeaway, another piece that can produce a left-ward path. Club works inward, you sense the weight of the head, know you have to get it back to the ball so there is a little steepening move to compensate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

(edited)
14 hours ago, mvmac said:

First thing I would do is fix the grip. Looks very weak and making you setup with the right arm too straight and shoulders aimed too far left. Both of those things would encourage more of a left-ward path, meaning the club is swinging too much across the ball.

The weaker grip (right hand on top) and super straight right arm would also encourage the club to work more inside the hands on the takeaway, another piece that can produce a left-ward path. Club works inward, you sense the weight of the head, know you have to get it back to the ball so there is a little steepening move to compensate.

Thanks for the tip mvmac. I changed my grip like suggested in your other thread. As you said, especially my right hand was far too weak, now I am placing my trigger finger pressure point on the side of the grip instead of more on top of it. I also am changing my takeaway and working with the video below. I like these guys because they measure PGA pros versus other youtubers who are sometimes less scientific: 

I think one of the reasons I had a hard time keeping my head still in the backswing (lateral movment to the right) is that I ran out of shoulder turn and then started shifting laterally. This might have been due to the fact that I rotated too much to get to the club parallel to the ground position and thus "ran out of rotation" later. The inside takeaway makes it hard to keep the head still. 

So basically I am changing the grip, getting to the takeaway position recommended in the above video and then rotating (feeling some extension of the right side) to the top. 

The result on the driving range were great: I had basically no slices, some hooks and a good number of straight shots with good contact. Lets hope this continues. 

One question though: What should the arm plane be versus shoulder plane at the top of the backswing for taller guys like me? What would be ideal and not shallow?

Edited by porc

The question I am trying to ask: What are some good benchmarks in the backswing besides path parallel to the ground position for guys who swing to shallow during backswing? 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, porc said:

The question I am trying to ask: What are some good benchmarks in the backswing besides path parallel to the ground position for guys who swing to shallow during backswing? 

What makes you think you're "too shallow during [the] backswing"?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
10 minutes ago, iacas said:

What makes you think you're "too shallow during [the] backswing"?

I am not sure about the entire backswing, but I have an inside takeaway right? 

What do you think? Why do I have a leftward swing path through impact?

Face  on view from a few days ago: 

Edited by porc

• Administrator
1 hour ago, porc said:

I am not sure about the entire backswing, but I have an inside takeaway right? 

What do you think? Why do I have a leftward swing path through impact?

You must if the ball pulls and slices.

1 hour ago, porc said:

I am not quite sure what you mean when you say that I swing "low" @iacas. 

Your hands go low and left instead of high and right (down-the-line camera view).

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

You must if the ball pulls and slices.

Ok. So what would you say I have to work on as a priority piece? 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, porc said:

Ok. So what would you say I have to work on as a priority piece? 

Look at where the ball starts in post #19.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Look at where the ball starts in post #19.

I guess to the left. Usually the ball starts straight or right of target and then slices further to the right ;). 

But what are you getting at? 

Edited by porc

• Administrator

Do what's in post #22 for now, then post more video from good angles.

10 hours ago, porc said:

One question though: What should the arm plane be versus shoulder plane at the top of the backswing for taller guys like me? What would be ideal and not shallow?

General checkpoints I think are good. At A3, right hand in front or slightly behind the right shoulder. A4, arms a little more vertical than the shoulder pitch, some space between the right elbow and the rib cage.

Remember what the Athletic Motion guys said, positions aren't where you manually "put" the body segments/club, they are a result of flow/motion.

mg.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thx. Can anyone explain why I am flipping through impact? Is it a symptom of another swing fault that I am trying to compensate via flipping? 

Any suggestions? 

@mvmac @iacas

Another question: Do you guys agree with the Athletic Motion Golf Guys that you have to actively rotate the forearms through impact to square up the clubface? Sounds like an unreliable way to do things. 

• Administrator

It’ll be this evening before I can watch the video but without having done so… no.

Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!