IGNORED

Shaft Help Please.........

Note: This thread is 3194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just purchased a new to me Titleist 913D2 Driver that came with a stiff flex 60 gram RIP Phenom Aldila. I just got the head adjusted the way i like it, which is A2, a little open face. I tried several spots, but this setup gave the straightest and farthest ball flight. A slight draw usually.

Then as I was playing a round today with my buddies, we started discussing shaft flex and they said I should be using an extra stiff shaft. I have never had my swing speed really measured that I can remember. Just had irons fitted, and they gave me stiff flex steel shafts. So I figured that's what I needed in everything. Well, after doing some research, looks like I might just need extra stiff in my Driver. I hit my 8 iron about 155 yards on average, to give you an idea of my swing speed. My guess is it's around 120.

Anyhow, one of my friends said he had two extra stiff shafts for me to try that he used with his old 909 and 910 drivers. So he gave them both to me, since he no longer has a Titleist driver.  The two shafts he gave me are:

UST Proforce V2, at 76 grams, and a Mitsubishi Diamana "ahina at 72 grams. They both have the sure fit on them already.

So I was just curious if anyone knows anything about either shaft? And also if you thought it would really make a difference in driving distance or not. Funny thing is, I have always used stiff shafts in all my drivers. Guess I should get fitted, but not likely to happen any time soon. I am going to take them out and try them in a few days, but wanted opinions on them.

Also, with these extra stiff shafts, am I going to have to go through the process of getting a different setting for the head. Didn't know if these shafts might need a little more loft or less loft etc. Thanks in advance

How does your driver check out on the launch monitor? Do you get optimum launch angle and distance with current settings and current shaft?

Also, your transition at the top helps determine the best shaft for you. A person with a quick transition will need a stiffer shaft than one with a smooth transition. (This is one of the measures captured by the Mizuno shaft optimizer .)

And, if your friend and you play for money, is he really trying to help you? :hmm:

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Then as I was playing a round today with my buddies, we started discussing shaft flex and they said I should be using an extra stiff shaft.

There is no universal measurement for golf shaft flex. A stiff flex 60 gram RIP Phenom Aldila shaft might be an x-stiff compared to other models.

UST Proforce V2, at 76 grams, and a Mitsubishi Diamana "ahina at 72 grams. They both have the sure fit on them already.

So I was just curious if anyone knows anything about either shaft? And also if you thought it would really make a difference in driving distance or not. Funny thing is, I have always used stiff shafts in all my drivers. Guess I should get fitted, but not likely to happen any time soon. I am going to take them out and try them in a few days, but wanted opinions on them.

Also, with these extra stiff shafts, am I going to have to go through the process of getting a different setting for the head. Didn't know if these shafts might need a little more loft or less loft etc. Thanks in advance

I'd say it depends on your swing.

I've played both the Ahina and the V2, they are both really good options.

By measurements the V2 should have a slightly softer butt end of the club versus the Ahina, but both have similar bend profiles from the mid section to the tip. My experience is the V2 is slightly harsher in feeling, but produced very similar launch numbers.

I never hit the rogue, but by the bend profile it looks to be just a less stiff shaft overall.

I'd say if your swing speed is high enough then the V2 and Ahina might help with dispersion and spin, but only slightly.

The Diamana D+ is just an new generation of the Ahina. They basically spin and launch the same. You can see the Rogue Silver is just slightly higher launching and higher spinning than the D+.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Well I was just looking at some charts on the internet and guessing about the swing speed. Maybe it's closer to 100-105. I hit a good drive about 285 and my TM 3w about 240-250.

The Diamana Ahina is low launch, low spin

At 72g and X Stiff, 2.7 torque, it may fit if you have an aggressive transition and later release.

Just gotta' hit it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Just to follow up on this. I took the shafts out and did some testing. I used the same balls, tees, hole, etc. to try to keep as little variance as possible. Once again, I don't know what my swing speed with the driver really is. Most are saying I am in the 100-105 range, because of how far I hit my 8 iron. Most say with that swing speed I should stay with the stiff flex shaft. Because of those statements, I almost didn't even try the other shafts out. MAN, WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN!

The first thing I noticed, was that the two x stiff shaft did feel a little heavier obviously. The next thing I noticed after hitting them, was that the shot dispersion was much tighter. Not only on solid strikes, but also shots off the toe. The dispersion was even tighter with the 'ahina than the Pro Force. Both were much better than my stiff flex. Miss hits with my stiff flex usually ended up being a rope hook into trouble. Not the case with the x stiff. I noticed a little lower launch with the Pro Force than the 'ahina.

Now for the distance. To my surprise, I was about 10-12 yard further with the x stiff. I couldn't believe it. Better shot dispersion and more distance!

The 'ahina is the one I am keeping. Glad I tried them out. Guess it does pay off to get fitted.

The distances you quoted are almost spot-on to mine.  My swing speed averaged 104 (ball speed was in the 120-125 range).  I just got the 915 and was fitted by a Titleist rep with a launch monitor and he put me in the 60gm Adilia.  Love it.  Hope this works for you.

Titleist 915 D, 3W, 3H

TaylorMade RocketBladez 4I-AW

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 56 degree SW and 60 degree LW

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance

Bridgestone B330

Note: This thread is 3194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!