IGNORED

My Swing (oudrees)

oudrees
Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I definitely know I have a ceiling without my driver. Today was more of an experiment than anything. My group I am relied on for team games and there is money involved. Going for a score is what I need to do for them. I'll work on my driver on the range and on more casual rounds. I'm not finished improving, I know it may of come off that way. With this group, I play on white tees because of my hdcp, making the courses around 5500 yards. I don't gain any strokes moving back because I'm maxed out. Once I get my hdcp down and they move me, I'll worry about distance more with them.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I was just pretty excited today. These are my last 9 rounds with this group with money on the line so you can see why I was pretty pumped about this improvement. It also wasn't the driver alone that improved as my ball striking with my irons was much improved. That has been my focus on the range lately. 108, 110, 100, 105, 104, 119, 103, 104, 92

- David -

And I was just pretty excited today. These are my last 9 rounds with this group with money on the line so you can see why I was pretty pumped about this improvement. It also wasn't the driver alone that improved as my ball striking with my irons was much improved. That has been my focus on the range lately. 108, 110, 100, 105, 104, 119, 103, 104, 92

I'm really sorry if it sounded like I wasn't giving you credit for your great round. That's why I said "great job, awesome" or whatever I said. The driver thing was just a side note bc I've been there before and nothing, NOTHING, is more frustrating than hitting 3 off the tee or chipping out from the woods all day long. I did it the wrong way and I just wanted to let you know my experience just in case there was a chance you might be going down that road. It's hard to shoot sucky scores and I can't tell you how many people (and myself in the past) I see out on the course where they "left the driver in the garage." As long as you are practicing improving your driver I would say you are doing it the right way. Congrats again on a great round!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I played pretty well on 9 holes Tuesday, used my driver when I could but some holes it just didn't make sense.  I did still one OB and push one OB with the driver, those were the only 2 bad shots I hit with it but that really adds up a score.

On one hole, I dropped my 5 iron on the green from 198.....it was amazing coming from me.  I also birdied a par 3 from 158 that I dropped within 10 feet so things are definitely coming around with the irons.  My putting was much better also.  I took some hints from the putting topic with playing the ball more forward in my stance and not accelerating.

With the driver thing, I was looking ahead to the course I am playing Saturday and the yardages.  Once again I am on the white tees due to handicap.  I see no reason to even risk my driver.  It is playing for money, so that is why I am going for low scores.  If I can hit my irons 210-220 off the tee, the furthest I would be out on approach is 140.  Looks like I'll concentrate on driver at the range and try to score with irons on the course.  I feel bad playing these yardages, but if they allow me...I will take the advantage.

Hole Yardage Par
1 446 5
2 122 3
3 251 4
4 441 5
5 274 4
6 350 4
7 136 3
8 339 4
9 291 4
10 413 5
11 339 4
12 110 3
13 291 4
14 319 4
15 318 4
16 287 4
17 129 3
18 401 5

- David -

Having a steady head is the worst advice you could ever try to imitate in your swing.The reason being is a golf swing isn't just a swing it's a serious bod motion of rotation and re rotation with your hips and legs. A good coiled back swing will give the appearance of a steady head but in reality it's just good balance and rotation it's actually ok if the head moves a little in the back swing. The rest is just timing and motion go after it and finish towards you're target and the head will follow.

see here as the prime example.

Having a steady head is the worst advice you could ever try to imitate in your swing.The reason being is a golf swing isn't just a swing it's a serious bod motion of rotation and re rotation with your hips and legs. A good coiled back swing will give the appearance of a steady head but in reality it's just good balance and rotation it's actually ok if the head moves a little in the back swing. The rest is just timing and motion go after it and finish towards you're target and the head will follow.

see here as the prime example.

When we talk about steady head around here, we're talking about this:

Key #1 is called Steady Head, but it's not meant to be immovable. Rotation and slight lateral head movement, as you mentioned are both acceptable. Rory also fits the definition of having a steady head.

What is not desirable and causes a lot of problems is when the head (or hips, torso, etc.) makes a large lateral shift away from its original position in relation to the ball. This creates a causes a golfer to have to make compensations to get the club back to the ball, which leads to inconsistency.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
Having a steady head is the worst advice you could ever try to imitate in your swing.

You're giving a lot of advice, @Mike Boatright , but a lot of it is advice with which I disagree. Strongly, in many cases. For example, here.

First, you don't seem to understand what we mean by a "steady" head. It doesn't mean unmoving, and frankly, it doesn't even have to do with the head at all - that just serves as a reference point. We also have data to back up each of the 5SK® - they are all achievable, verifiable, and measurable . The last one is important here: the average PGA Tour pro moves his head about 0.9 inches to and fro on the backswing with an iron.

Also…

Rory's head doesn't move to and fro very much. Drops a bit, but that has the most "freedom" in Key #1.

A good coiled back swing will give the appearance of a steady head but in reality it's just good balance and rotation it's actually ok if the head moves a little in the back swing.

So you agree with us, and if you'd read anything about "Key #1" you'd see we have already said a bit of head movement is okay. Particularly with the driver.

To be clear, Key #1 is called "Steady Head" but it's really about making a good pivot. The head is just an easy reference point.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!