IGNORED

Club Damage w/ Pictures

JoeMal
Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use a gum like eraser that is available from Golfsmith or GolfWorks that will take off the dirt, which a nylon or other brush will not do, and clean up the stainless so it is new-like.

Ok I was going to get a wire brush and use that...but wasn't sure if it would hurt the stainless.  I will look for one of those when I'm out this weekend.  Looking for my first putter.

I'm also researching how to repaint the white groove at the bottom of the club.  Found a guy that swears by acrylic paint so I may have a little project this weekend to freshen up these G10s :banana:

:adams:  XTD Ti Driver 12* Stiff flex

:adams:  XTD Ti 4H 23* Stiff flex

:ping:  G10 4-W +1" Stiff flex

:odyssey:  White Hot Pro Havok 35"

Here's one he didn't disclose either. 4 iron. Nice gouge in the middle of the club face. Should have known better buying from a new user on eBay. He did include pictures but did a slick job hiding the defects. Think this will hit negatively? [IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/jomal206/20150813_220937_zps1czshcib.jpg[/IMG]

That one id be a little more upset by. Definitely put it in his reviews that he wasn't entirely honest and lead you to believe the condition would have been better. Overall I don't think it will make too much of a difference when it comes to playability, but it sucks you have to look a gouge when you address the ball, especially one that you didn't put in the club yourself. I'm with you on this one.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok I was going to get a wire brush and use that...but wasn't sure if it would hurt the stainless.  I will look for one of those when I'm out this weekend.  Looking for my first putter.

I'm also researching how to repaint the white groove at the bottom of the club.  Found a guy that swears by acrylic paint so I may have a little project this weekend to freshen up these G10s

I do not think a wire brush will hurt stainless Pings since no chrome is used. Still, I have not used a wire brush in over 20 years. A wire brush won't do what you want -- clean the stainless thoroughly. The dark, grey, eraser like soft abrasive eraser will do wonders for cleaning the steel. Have used it on Pings and all my previous clubs.

Use a nylon brush and warm water for the dirt in the grooves. A toothpick or thumbnail also works in a pinch for remaining dirt.

Paint - golfworks sells pens that do the job.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Soak them in water for about a half hour. That will loosen the dirt. Spray some all purpose cleaner on them and I use a wire brush on mine and it gets the gunk out of the grooves. Get some liquid Bar Keeper's Friend and clean up the clubs with that. They'll be looking almost like new. Pings are not shiny chrome.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Soak them in water for about a half hour. That will loosen the dirt. Spray some all purpose cleaner on them and I use a wire brush on mine and it gets the gunk out of the grooves. Get some liquid Bar Keeper's Friend and clean up the clubs with that. They'll be looking almost like new. Pings are not shiny chrome.

Thanks for the recommendation. As a beginner I'm working on learning about the tools and products to have around and in my bag. Are groove sharpeners necessary or a gimmick?

Wire brushes have not yet harmed my Ping s55 irons, which have a softer laminate covering the entire clubhead (though sand and dirt and many, many shots are starting to delaminate the face on a couple irons...). I would second the recommendation of just letting them soak in a bucket of water for a little while. Maybe put in a little bit of dish soap with the water, toss the clubs in, then come back 30 minutes later to scrub and rinse the clubs.

As for regular maintenance, I do like the convenience of my Frogger brush with the retractable line. It clips onto my bag and I use it to clean my clubs before and after each shot on the course, or after I'm finished on the driving range. On the course I would recommend you carry a towel and wet down half of it. Wipe the club with the wet half, scrub with a brush (if necessary), and then dry before you put the club back and it'll keep them nice and shiny, or at least as shiny as Ping's get!

And clean your clubs after every round. A clean club is a happy club. And you'll enjoy taking out a clean club, too.

Another thing, if you buy a driver with a nice shiny finish like the one in my avatar.... you can keep them that way by putting a coat of car wax on them. Pssst: you're not supposed to put it on the club face though. It'll keep the finish nice and some marks that would normally scratch will just mark the wax and you can buff it out. Don't wax a matte finish club however.

Julia

Spoiler

Thanks for the tips. Hit my irons with some soapy water and a 000 steel wool pad and they look better. I don't feel like I can apply enough pressure with nylon. They look a lot better and I'll put a stiff wire brush on my shopping list

Available a beauty supply stores everywhere. Look in the nail section.

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!