IGNORED

Backyard Practice Net

Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

That’s gonna get heavy fast.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/27/2018 at 2:52 PM, Hacker James said:

Really Nice Set up!  That's one thing I lack is putting greens. Not so sure that S.W.M.B.O.  would tolerate that. I only have about 50 X 15 feet to work with. I put in artificial turf a year or so ago.

Yeah, my boss only let me get away with it because it's our 'showroom display'...funny, now I sometimes catch her out there putting while I'm working during the week. 🙂

Edited by Joey G

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

I dont plan on moving it a bunch, especially if the platform and net both fit on my gravel patio area. 

Any suggestions on how to make it lighter? I suppose keeping the real feel mat and the platform separate would save weight because the platform wouldnt have to be as wide then, but I feel like the mat would slide around too much if they were separate.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

27 minutes ago, klineka said:

I dont plan on moving it a bunch, especially if the platform and net both fit on my gravel patio area. 

Any suggestions on how to make it lighter? I suppose keeping the real feel mat and the platform separate would save weight because the platform wouldnt have to be as wide then, but I feel like the mat would slide around too much if they were separate.

Put some rope loops on either side of the platform for dragging. Probably get by using heavy duty staples/staple gun. If going separate, the real feel won't move that much (only a few inches) unless you really chunk it.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

This is the look I'm going for/intend to copy. The guy that built this put 2x4s underneath the plywood, I dont quite understand why. My platform will either lay on my gravel patio area or on the grass in my backyard when I am using it. Will the 2x4s help it from slipping?

image.png

image.png

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 3:33 PM, iacas said:

Yeah, that's a lot work too when there are commercial options that aren't $$$$$

We have 4'x5' & 5'x5' hitting mats that are made with our Ultimate Tee turf with a 5/8" pad backing for +/- $500 (depending on size). They are great fairway mats with any iron and will actually hold even a 3.5" tee to allow you to hit any club in your bag. Easy to move around and you can rotate it as it wears to extend the life...why do all that work?

Same material used on the new tee line here at Bay Hill Club & Lodge.

Range (4).jpg

Edited by Joey G

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

8 minutes ago, Joey G said:

...why do all that work?

Because I already have plywood sitting in my garage so all I would have to buy is a $20 roll of indoor/outdoor turf carpet from Lowe's and some carpet adhesive for $10.

Much more affordable than $500

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

5 minutes ago, klineka said:

Because I already have plywood sitting in my garage so all I would have to buy is a $20 roll of indoor/outdoor turf carpet from Lowe's and some carpet adhesive for $10.

Much more affordable than $500

Fair enough...that's why I'm using a remnant in my den. 😉

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Just a heads up- First off, the cheap nets are a waste of time. I paid like 39 bucks and it broke after 5 mid iron shots. The 2nd thing I didn't consider is it is a pain to take down and reassemble. I had the tent style and it was hard. The other issue was rain and trying to mow when I cut the lawn. I never considered any of these things. Thought it would be good but in the end, I likely would not have used it if it didn't break.

• 1 year later...

All the driving ranges around me are closed. One small public course allows play with social distancing.

I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive to put in the back yard that would help me shake off the rust.

Let's say, around $500. I'm a slicer, so if this toy would help with that, it would be awesome.

Thanks.

• iacas changed the title to Something for the Backyard?
  • Administrator

Bunch of topics here on nets and things for your home, garage, yard, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!