IGNORED

Gimmie... What would you do?

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't read all the threads but first you don't play by the rules of golf..second You don't play for money.. your scores are close to meaningless unless you create some hard rules about your play....one rule is everyone must putt out and all putts count in your score period... Many start playing as you do and break up because they don't have hard rules to settle little issues before they become bigger...

I thought I mentioned that we do play by the rules... Yes, we don't play for money and I will never play for money because I don't gamble.. That shouldn't matter IMO. Are there holes that I don't finish per the rules of golf? Sure, but that's only if I hit 2 OB on a par 3 and there is no reason to keep hitting with people coming up or waiting on me... Anyway, the whole disagreement was because we have hard rules, the rules of golf and he took a gimmie..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

No it's not.. But, I'm not saying that I'm going to be losing a friend here.. And we don't gamble at all ever, so does that mean that our games don't mean anything?

Let us assume that were gambling for something, there is something to be won and lost here even if it is not material.. I'm assuming even when you guys gamble most of you aren't gambling for 000's of $$ right?

What would you guys do?

I would just say OK this one time but from now on only you can concede a putt for him and likewise and if a stranger happens to do it just kindly replace the ball and hit the putt I guarantee they will not do it again, sometimes there has to be some clarification, when me and one of my friends used to play we allowed 1 mulligan but it was only the first shot on the first hole and that was it everything counted from then on.

But they already did that.  Remember this part of the OP?

And no, just because you aren't gambling doesn't make it any less of a competition nor does it make it OK for people to break rules because you having a competition that doesn't involve money.

Now one of our rules is that gimmies are only allowed when conceded by the other person, and we actually don't give them to either other.. So, right away I ask him what he is doing, and he doesn't answer, but gives himself a bogie on the hole and I object telling him I never gave him that gimmie and that he should assess him self a 2 stroke penalty for picking up the ball, and since he missed that bogie one footer he should score himself a triple..

They had a very explicit rule and procedure.  The friend ignored it and then refused to answer when questioned, and then ignored the AGREED UPON rule.

IMO what happened is that the friend behaved like a petulant child.  If he does not have the self-awareness to recognize that and understand that the entire problem was of his making and was his responsibility - then he does not sound like such a good friend.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Hey Abu, I want you to think about this.Your buddy taking a gimme like that isnt nothing compared to what I witnessed few weeks ago.I was on a hole and as a group was coming down fairway from hole beside us I saw one of their guys ball near a pond on our hole.As he was coming by he had a glance while riding in cart and sneakedly dropped a ball along side his cart while other guys were on opposite side so they couldnt see.Of course I said hey bud I think this is your ball down here.Now he could have just dropped it to take a drop but from way he done it it looked very sneaky.

Hey Abu, I want you to think about this.Your buddy taking a gimme like that isnt nothing compared to what I witnessed few weeks ago.I was on a hole and as a group was coming down fairway from hole beside us I saw one of their guys ball near a pond on our hole.As he was coming by he had a glance while riding in cart and sneakedly dropped a ball along side his cart while other guys were on opposite side so they couldnt see.Of course I said hey bud I think this is your ball down here.Now he could have just dropped it to take a drop but from way he done it it looked very sneaky.

LOL..

Yeah, I see what you are seeing.. don't get me wrong, most of the guys we get paired with fluff their lies, move their balls.. putt the ball around and I still hear them giving each other pars and bogies when they are more like 3's, 4's and 5's.. and my friend and I make fun of them, but we don't care about it.. because we aren't playing with them for anything.. Although, if they are submitting those cards for handicaps they are only hurting themselves..  so we don't care.

That was sneaky by that guy though, did he say anything back to you?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

LOL.. Yeah, I see what you are seeing.. don't get me wrong, most of the guys we get paired with fluff their lies, move their balls.. putt the ball around and I still hear them giving each other pars and bogies when they are more like 3's, 4's and 5's.. and my friend and I make fun of them, but we don't care about it.. because we aren't playing with them for anything.. Although, if they are submitting those cards for handicaps they are only hurting themselves..  so we don't care. That was sneaky by that guy though, did he say anything back to you?

I dont remember him saying anything like thanks because honestly I think he was aggravated I pointed out his ball for him in a bad spot compared to the nice lil lie he was gonna have with his pocket throw.I really just told him about ball because of the way he was trying to cheat.

I dont remember him saying anything like thanks because honestly I think he was aggravated I pointed out his ball for him in a bad spot compared to the nice lil lie he was gonna have with his pocket throw.I really just told him about ball because of the way he was trying to cheat.

I had something similar the other day. I was trying to rip my driver and as is the way, top hooked it all of 20 yards onto the adjoining fairway! Was only having a mess around round by myself so reloaded and hit a more sensible drive. I then went to retrieve my first ball only to see some old guy playing a ball suspiciously close to where my ball must have ended up. Seeing as mine had suddenly disappeared, I questioned him as to whether he was sure he had played his ball as mine was previously in the vicinity and had now gone. He simply shrugged. I asked him what ball he played with, as mine is a noodle which is nt that common over here in the uk. Another shrug! So I wandered up to the bunker he'd hit "his" ball into and sure enough, in it is sitting my noodle! Now this was a pay and play course and he was a hacker, but still I do to see the point in just playing the first ball you find as if it's your ball? He then spent the time it took me to retrace my steps back past him glaring at me because (I guess) I had the cheek to take my ball back? To the OP, I wouldn't let something like this ruin what sounds like a good friendship.

Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!