IGNORED

Getting ball out of the hole

Lucazammuto
Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've seen this done and done it myself many times without causing damage to the hole. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to remember the last time I ever saw a hole that was significantly damaged in any way and you know the sort of courses I typically play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went with this little beauty. http://www.hornegolf.com/Golf-Ball-Pick-Up-Halo-Halo.htm

Goes in and out relatively easy, You can order a clip to hang the putter on the outside of the bag as well. It holds on while using the pushcart or riding a golfcart. Although, I don't really NEED the clip since my putter slot is big enough to put it in with the Halo in place, it's just easier having it hanging outside.

Don't really go all out with all the fiddly thing you can do with it. Just get the ball out of the hole or waters edge(if it isn't too deep), and maybe get started picking up the flag or clubs lying on the green.

That's what I have.  The other options mentioned can't be used with a Super Stroke grip.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Seriously? That's not very inspiring or manly. You have people playing when they can no longer walk (no legs) or who only have 1 arm or no arms. There is a local young kid who plays despite being blind. Earlier this week I played with a guy who can barely see and he had a mini seizure on the 10th hole. He manned up and kept playing. You are going to let a little thing like 'bad' knees or back stop you from doing something you love? Sheeesh. If you don't love the game that much then why not give it up now?

I would think for most the use of these devices is not because they can't get the ball out of the hole with their fingers. They use it because it relieves the stress of using their fingers to get the ball out of the hole.

Man up! Overcome, adapt.

P.S. Ketchup makes hot dogs taste better.

So your idea of "manning up" is to use a device to get the ball out of the bottom of the cup. So you don't have bend over ? My point was, no matter how bad my knee's or back hurts. I will always bend down and get he ball out of the hole with my hands, even if it hurts. Don't question my love for the game Grumps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpter

Seriously? That's not very inspiring or manly. You have people playing when they can no longer walk (no legs) or who only have 1 arm or no arms. There is a local young kid who plays despite being blind. Earlier this week I played with a guy who can barely see and he had a mini seizure on the 10th hole. He manned up and kept playing. You are going to let a little thing like 'bad' knees or back stop you from doing something you love? Sheeesh. If you don't love the game that much then why not give it up now?

I would think for most the use of these devices is not because they can't get the ball out of the hole with their fingers. They use it because it relieves the stress of using their fingers to get the ball out of the hole.

Man up! Overcome, adapt.

P.S. Ketchup makes hot dogs taste better.

So your idea of "manning up" is to use a device to get the ball out of the bottom of the cup. So you don't have bend over ? My point was, no matter how bad my knee's or back hurts. I will always bend down and get he ball out of the hole with my hands, even if it hurts. Don't question my love for the game Grumps.

Tell you what, let us know how that's working for you when you're in your 70's and 80's.  I can put a tee in the ground, or mark and lift my ball from the green, but the extra 5 inches to reach the bottom of the hole puts a noticeable and significant strain on my lower back.  There are days when my back is acting up that I can't physically make that reach without getting down on my knees.

You need to lighten up and realize that different people have different needs.   Golf is a game for life, but life treats some folks a bit more harshly that it does others, so they find ways to adapt and still be able to play.  You should just stand back and thank Providence that you aren't yet finding that necessary.

• Upvote 1

Rick

Tell you what, let us know how that's working for you when you're in your 70's and 80's.  I can put a tee in the ground, or mark and lift my ball from the green, but the extra 5 inches to reach the bottom of the hole puts a noticeable and significant strain on my lower back.  There are days when my back is acting up that I can't physically make that reach without getting down on my knees.

You need to lighten up and realize that different people have different needs.   Golf is a game for life, but life treats some folks a bit more harshly that it does others, so they find ways to adapt and still be able to play.  You should just stand back and thank Providence that you aren't yet finding that necessary.

Good to know that you know all about my health history. You should lighten up yourself, and realize that some people want to play the game the way they see fit. If that means that they choose to not play the game anymore because they can't bend over to get the ball out of the hole. Then that's their choice. I'm pretty sure I won't be playing golf when I'm 80 as I hope to just be breathing at 70. So I guess I have 20 good more years.

That's what I have.  The other options mentioned can't be used with a Super Stroke grip.

Well, yeah, there's that as well. I actually play with a Super Stroke 3.0 and my halo. And I use it because of some odd balance issues if I bend over a bit quick and some issues with a previously broken back in my youth. Now- as for using one because you either: A- have trouble with your back, or B: having other issues with balance, etc... What about putting a tee in the ground? I personally take my time and try to avoid sudden movements and try and squat instead of leaning all the way over. but anyway.... And yes, it does seem a bit oxymoronic in these cases. If you can put a tee in the ground, you should be able to get your ball out of the hole. But think about something relating to green conditions. When you lean over, ALL of your weight goes onto that front foot right next to the hole compressing the ground a little bit. Over a day, that contributes to that "fuzzy donut" condition around the hole. With the halo, I can stand a bit further away and not contribute to that condition. At least that's what I tell myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Well, yeah, there's that as well. I actually play with a Super Stroke 3.0 and my halo. And I use it because of some odd balance issues if I bend over a bit quick and some issues with a previously broken back in my youth.

Now- as for using one because you either: A- have trouble with your back, or B: having other issues with balance, etc... What about putting a tee in the ground?

I personally take my time and try to avoid sudden movements and try and squat instead of leaning all the way over. but anyway....

And yes, it does seem a bit oxymoronic in these cases. If you can put a tee in the ground, you should be able to get your ball out of the hole. But think about something relating to green conditions. When you lean over, ALL of your weight goes onto that front foot right next to the hole compressing the ground a little bit. Over a day, that contributes to that "fuzzy donut" condition around the hole.

With the halo, I can stand a bit further away and not contribute to that condition. At least that's what I tell myself.

One of the 80-somethings that I play with in our senior league uses his driver as a prop when he tees his ball because of balance issues.  Sometimes he reverses it so the grip is on the ground to keep it from slipping.

Rick

Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!