IGNORED

Hello from Minneapolis

IlliniBoy
Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just took up golf about two months ago.  Unfortunately, I find that I'm drowning in information.  It seems like I do absolutely everything wrong, and "fixing" one thing only creates three or four more problems.  If I go to the driving range and hit 50 balls, I'll make solid contact with maybe 10 of them.  I'm reasonably young (29) and have played sports all my life but I can't only hit my 3 wood past 160 yards or so.  My five iron goes only a little less.  All this is very discouraging.

I've started taking lessons but, again, the info I get there seems to contradict what I see elsewhere.  For example, my coach is trying to get me to "flip my hands" more, but everything I read and see says *not* to flip your hands.  My head is all turned around at this point.

Sorry to vent.  I'll try to post a swing when I have a chance.  I don't really have good equipment to do so but I'll find a way.

Welcome to the site!  If you're looking to sort through all the bulls**t out there, you've definitely come to the right place.  Until you can get a "My Swing" thread started, here's a good place to begin to poke around:

It can be a bit overwhelming, but there are a ton of great folks on here who'd be happy to help you out.  And, if you ever get discouraged, just remember: GOLF IS HARD.  ;-)

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the site @IlliniBoy

It can be overwhelming. It is important to try and focus on improving the biggest issues one at a time. And improvement can take a while. This is a great site for that. As @Hardspoon mentioned, we have a Member Swings section that can be really helpful. We have two of the best instructors in the country who own this site and are glad to help. There are also many forum members who have had the same issues and worked through them that will help also.

I think it is important to read about the golf swing and understand what writers are referring to. But you then need to filter that to work on the important stuff. We can help you identify the important stuff.

Lastly, when you play, try to remember that your primary goal is to have fun. Bad shots happen. Henrik Stenson shanked an approach shot on the 18th at the FedEx final and he is one of the best in the world! It happens to everyone and all of us were just starting out once.

Best of luck.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Welcome to TST!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Welcome Illiniboy,

I just started myself, don't focus on all the negatives, it will come with time.  I am a terrible hacker and just had my first lesson, but in a few months of practicing on my own (reading places like this, watching youtube videos of golf instruction on line, etc) I am hitting my clubs farther and straighter.  My focus now is on learning the fundamentals properly, which means getting some instruction, so that I don't ingrain any bad habits.

Even bad golf is more fun than no golf, I love it, and one of the things I love the most about it:  Almost everything is still ahead of me, I have nowhere to go but up (well down hopefully, as in number of strokes) and so do you.  It is so exciting to make a good shot, make a good putt, and to string a few good shots together and make a bogey or par.  Take it for what it is and enjoy all of those small successes along the way.  It is a recreational game, something to enjoy and there are so many things about it and where you play it to enjoy. Perspective is everything.

Good luck on your journey

Snuck in six holes this morning. Things aren't all bad. Started off with an honest double bogey, double bogey, bogey, triple bogey, which for me is great.  Usually ball striking is my main problem, but for the first few holes it was short game and putting, which is fine.  I actually overhit three greens in the first five holes, which never happens for me and says I'm getting more distance on my irons in real game conditions.

Was going to play nine but things started to fall apart on me and I decided to quit while I still felt good about things.  This is the first time I've gone out and felt like I have something to build on.

Welcome to TST!  Lots of great info and help available to you here.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!