IGNORED

IPS 4.1 Offers A Bunch of New Features to TST!

iacas
Note: This thread is 3065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

https://community.invisionpower.com/release-notes/

As of about an hour ago, I've updated this site to run IPS version 4.1.2.

This change (from 4.0.13.1) to 4.1.2 brings with it a lot of impressive updates, and changes the way we do a few things.

Very quickly…

• The menu structure is now customizable.
  • The content discovery system has been greatly enhanced with "streams."
  • Selective quoting of text.
  • Editor updates that make it easier to @mention, embed content, and edit quoted text.
  • Pages application enhancements.
  • Improved typography, buttons, tab bar, FontAwesome 4.4, and more.
  • Browser notifications and Instant notifications.
  • Search changes.
  • Retina emoticons.

The full details are here but I wanted to highlight a few of the changes we've made, and how you can use them to your benefit.

Content Streams!

Whether you realize this or not, you were all using a sort of content stream before: the "New Content" section of the site. This "new content" existed at http://thesandtrap.com/new-content/ but if you go there now, you'll be redirected to a URL with "discover" in it: http://thesandtrap.com/discover/unread/.

This is a content stream, and there are a few awesome ways you can customize them to do what you want to do on the site. I want to leave this thread for exploration and discussion, so I'll just point out a few quick things:

1. If you click "Activity" at the top in the menu, you'll see "New Content" which is the stream I've set up that most closely mirrors the old "New Content" stream. It'll show you all of your unread content. If your list is long, you can scroll toward the bottom and load more unread content.
  2. IPS gives you some pre-built streams like "Content I Started" (so you can keep tabs on all of your content) and "Search" and "All Activity." I've also set up some default streams in the "My Activity Streams" menu. Currently there's "New Content" (again), "Content I Started," "Content I Follow," "Members I Follow," and "Content I Posted In."
  3. Below the Default Streams you'll see a listing for "Custom Streams" and beneath that, a "Create New Stream" button. Click it and start creating your own custom streams that show what you want, the way you want it!
  4. Two other quick things:
    1. To make a stream your default stream, click the little checkmark. This will add a link with a newspaper icon near the top right corner of every page you visit on the site for quick access back to your customized activity stream.
    2. This graphic Screen%20Shot%202015-11-01%20at%202.06.0 is in the top right corner of each activity stream. It changes the way the stream looks by toggling the Expanded or Condensed views. The site will remember your view setting, so pick the one you like and enjoy! I prefer the Condensed view.
  5. Streams are share-able! http://thesandtrap.com/discover/6/ Here's the one I have set as my default: it is the same as "New Content" but it shows things in reverse order, as I like to work from back to front.

Editor Updates Galore!

The IPS team made a huge upgrade to the editor in 4.1 with a focus on speed an usability.

• Much faster and more reliable. Clicking into the editor is now pretty much instant.
  • Auto-linking (YouTube, threads in the forum, etc.) and member mentions far more reliable.
  • Quotes, code boxes, and spoilers can be dragged and moved and there is no more "red line."
  • When cmd/ctrl right-clicking: options to remove or break-out of quotes, edit links and edit image properties.
  • Pasting asks if you want to convert to plain text.
  • Editor is responsive, and ability to have small editor show in areas with less space.
  • Member @mentions in posts can now be selected by tab key.

The editor is much faster loading, particularly on mobile devices. It makes the mobile experience much more pleasant.

Note: you may have to empty your browser caches if you're having trouble with the editor.

Browser Notifications and Instant Notifications

IPS has introduced two new notification features: Instant Notifications and HTML5 Browser Notifications. Both work together to provide a great way for you to stay in touch with what's going on here at TST by letting you know - with a little note in your browser or on your desktop - when you've got a reply, a PM, etc.

Browser Notifications

IPS has built in support for HTML5 browser notifications where they are supported (right now, this includes desktop versions of Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera, but not IE, and mobile browser support is spotty). This allows IPS 4.1 to let you know when important things have happened even if you aren’t active in that window at the time.

They have enabled browser notifications in three areas, two of which we care about here:

• When there are new replies to a topic you have currently viewing
  • Instant notifications (more about that below).

browser-notification.thumb.jpg.cd7769428

Instant Notifications

Instant notifications has been a long-requested feature, and IPS is pleased to bring them to IPS 4.1.

If you are active in the window, Instant Notifications will show as a standard flash message at the bottom of your screen; if you are not active, and your browser supports them, you will get a desktop notification instead, and a chime will sound to alert you. Clicking the notification box will take you to the new item (or open the notification menu if alert is telling you about multiple items).

normal-notification.thumb.png.22a4fcabf7

Customizable Menu Structure

You can see that at the top of the site. We've added easier ways to get to some of the content you want to get to quickly, and we're going to continue to improve on the menu structure over time. If you have any votes or opinions on what you'd like to see in the menu bar for quick and easy access, please let us know.

Selective Quoting of Text and Quote Editing Improvements

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-01%20at%201.44.4

Simply select the text you want to quote and click the "Quote this" text. This makes quoting selective text much easier.

Oh, and you'll also notice that it's now much easier to edit quotes in your reply box as well, including copying and pasting, deleting quotes, etc. They appear just about as they will when you click "Submit," complete with username attribution

So, then, this and an almost countless number of other features have been introduced to TST. Though some background tasks are still ongoing (and will be for a few hours or even days), the site is faster, more responsive, and offers some awesome and incredible new features.

Let's use this thread to talk about, troubleshoot, share, and discuss!

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Is the quote this feature only available on PC?  Because I don't get that option on my phone.

image.thumb.png.58f7a0a826958e2d73684830

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Really like the new quoting feature. It also works if you're writing up your response and want to go back and add text to quote.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Really like the new quoting feature. It also works if you're writing up your response and want to go back and add text to quote.

That's a good way to use it. Cool.

Not thrilled!

No page resizes to fit screen on Firefox 41.0.2.

"New Content" is buggy, does not show various blogs, forums, etc. in a way that is logical to me.

Terminology is strange to me, options obtuse.

Liked the old TST much better, I knew how to get to the info I wanted to see without a lot of fooling around.

I suppose I will learn the new system eventually, but seems an unnecessary downgrade rather than an upgrade... rather like most Microsoft products! Change for the sake of change without consideration for the user experience of current users.

BTW - 4.0 was fine!

When I want to see "New Content" (it would seem to me that should be everything that has been posted since my last refresh) I get a list of old crap already displayed.

To circumvent I click "All Activity" and get a reasonably time lineish list that is redundant in that it is not sorted by thread.

None of this was an issue before IPS or in 4.0.

IPS FAIL!

Can't get where I want to go (new posts sorted by thread) without wasting an inordinate amount of time fiddling with an interface that has other intentions!

Edited by CR McDivot

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

• Administrator
1 hour ago, CR McDivot said:

No page resizes to fit screen on Firefox 41.0.2.

Can you be more specific? The site looks fine on Firefox 41.0.2 here. Did you clear your cache?

"New Content" is buggy, does not show various blogs, forums, etc. in a way that is logical to me.

I don't know what that means. Please provide more detail. It's not "buggy." It is still rebuilding the content, but new posts made after 4.1 was installed work properly.

The default "New Content" stream does the same things the "New Content" link did in the previous version. And you can create your own streams, or use one of the supplied ones.

Terminology is strange to me, options obtuse.

Without examples I can't do much to help you.

I suppose I will learn the new system eventually, but seems an unnecessary downgrade rather than an upgrade... rather like most Microsoft products! Change for the sake of change without consideration for the user experience of current users.

This was NOT a downgrade. Not even close. I feel you're being unnecessarily negative. This only really adds a tremendous number of features.

15 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

When I want to see "New Content" (it would seem to me that should be everything that has been posted since my last refresh) I get a list of old crap already displayed.

The "New Content" stream is set to show anything you haven't read. That's for all time. If you want it since your last visit, edit the stream to choose "since last visit."

15 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

Can't get where I want to go (new posts sorted by thread) without wasting an inordinate amount of time fiddling with an interface that has other intentions!

I can't help you with vague comments. Please share something specific, screenshots, etc. PM me if you want.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Can you be more specific? The site looks fine on Firefox 41.0.2 here. Did you clear your cache?

Cleared all history in Firefox including Cache, Preferences, Logins, Cookies, Offline Data.

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

The default "New Content" stream does the same things the "New Content" link did in the previous version. And you can create your own streams, or use one of the supplied ones.

Maybe "New Content" should display all new content since my last refresh sorted by type and thread. Don't happen even in the default which I have not changed.

"All Content" does not sort either.

Have you hit the bugs reported on the IPS user site?

Screenshot "New Content"

5636dfdb67537_NewContent.thumb.png.a8075

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

23 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

Cleared all history in Firefox including Cache, Preferences, Logins, Cookies, Offline Data.

Maybe "New Content" should display all new content since my last refresh sorted by type and thread. Don't happen even in the default which I have not changed.

Screenshot "New Content"

5636dfdb67537_NewContent.thumb.png.a8075

I know what you mean. The look of regular forum section browsing makes more sense to me.

Firefox_Screenshot_2015-11-02T04-10-49.2

Though if you click "All activity" after clicking new content the chronology of the posts are at least back in the proper order.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

Okay. I'm not seeing a bug. You appear to have a very narrow screen width, though.

I won't embed it, but here's what my Firefox looks like…

I'm sure it's partly my fault, but I still don't know what you're saying.

If you want to show every post as a separate thing, choose "Content items, comments, and reviews." If you just want the main topic (thread), choose "Content items only."

For the time frame, choose the appropriate one:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-01%20at%2011.14.

It does. It sorts by time. There is also no such thing as "All Content." It's "All Activity."

No. We have experienced none of the bugs I've read about there.

Screenshot "New Content"

What does the screenshot demonstrate? Because I'm still not at all sure what you're trying to do, what terms you don't understand, etc.

1 minute ago, SavvySwede said:

I know what you mean. The look of regular forum section browsing makes more sense to me....

...Though if you click "All activity" after clicking new content the chronology of the posts are at least back in the proper order.

In order, but not sorted by thread.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

In order, but not sorted by thread.

Of course not. They're sorted by the time and order in which they were posted. If you want to see a thread's posts in order… view the thread. If you want to see the thread only, choose "Content items only."

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

What does the screenshot demonstrate? Because I'm still not at all sure what you're trying to do, what terms you don't understand, etc.

Observing your screenshot, you obviously have the page displayed on a 16:9 (widescreen) monitor.

How is this displaying on a 4:3 screen? You don't know till one of us tells you. How about a phone or tablet screen? Landscape or portrait?

W3 has requirements for this... screen space is determined by percentage NOT pixel.

Apparently IPS disregards this interoperability standard.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

2 hours ago, CR McDivot said:

Yeah please give us more details on what you mean, we'd like to help but you have to be more specific. The old site or 4.0 never "sorted new posts by thread", they were sorted by the time and order in which they were posted.

My New Content icon shows me content (everything) I haven't read yet, same as 4.0. Maybe your New Content stream is set to content items, comments and reviews and that's what's confusing you?

5636e99065888_ScreenShot2015-11-01at8.41

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

Observing your screenshot, you obviously have the page displayed on a 16:9 (widescreen) monitor.

How is this displaying on a 4:3 screen? You don't know till one of us tells you. How about a phone or tablet screen? Landscape or portrait?

@CR McDivot, c'mon man… Let's try to assume that both I (a web developer) and IPS (also web developers…) know a bit about what I am/they are doing.

Here's the site on a fairly narrow screen (1195). The site works pretty darn great on my iPads, iPhones, etc. too.

10 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

W3 has requirements for this... screen space is determined by percentage NOT pixel. Apparently IPS disregards this interoperability standard.

I assure you, they know what they're doing. The site's one of the better responsive designs out there from what I've seen. You just appear to be using a width that's in the middle of the range.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

@CR McDivot, c'mon man… Let's try to assume that both I (a web developer) and IPS (also web developers…) know a bit about what I am/they are doing.

Here's the site on a fairly narrow screen (1195). The site works pretty darn great on my iPads, iPhones, etc. too.

I assure you, they know what they're doing. The site's one of the better responsive designs out there from what I've seen. You just appear to be using a width that's in the middle of the range.

1024x768 is standard 4:3. Your example is a widescreen.

Should make no difference whatsoever if the code was W3 compliant. I.E. screen real estate is allocated on percentage not pixel.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

1024x768 is standard 4:3. Your example is a widescreen.

Should make no difference whatsoever if the code was W3 compliant. I.E. screen real estate is allocated on percentage not pixel.

You may take this the wrong way, and if so, I apologize.

1. 1024 x 768 is really, really ancient. Fewer than 5% of browsers use that resolution. Time to move up to 2015. Or make your browser window a bit narrower so the site resizes for a tablet-like width.
  2. It still makes a difference. As I said, make your browser window smaller or larger. You're in a weird middle area. Those are virtually impossible to avoid.

And as I said, whether it's 16:9 or 4:3 is irrelevant. A 16:9 display at 1024 width (1024 x 576) would appear the same exact way because of the width… not the ratio.

The site on some smaller screens:

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

You may take this the wrong way, and if so, I apologize.

1. 1024 x 768 is really, really ancient. Fewer than 5% of browsers use that resolution. Time to move up to 2015. Or make your browser window a bit narrower so the site resizes for a tablet-like width.
  2. It still makes a difference. As I said, make your browser window smaller or larger. You're in a weird middle area. Those are virtually impossible to avoid.

And as I said, whether it's 16:9 or 4:3 is irrelevant. A 16:9 display at 1024 width (1024 x 576) would appear the same exact way because of the width… not the ratio.

The site on some smaller screens:

Your examples all require horizontal scrolling, reinforcing my point that your code relies on a certain minimum of horizontal pixels.

Perhaps the concept of code that displays properly on any device has evolved to reflect the Microsoft model which purposely introduces proprietary code to force users to upgrade hardware and software to take advantage of proclaimed "New and Improved" features.

I remember each new and improved version of Windows being full of problems and the acolytes proclaiming "It's not a bug - it's a feature!".

I'll hang around here for a while and see if it is worth my frustration.

Still wish we could have the old site back, there was nothing really wrong with her.

I guess old curmudgeons like me just don't want to deal with "new and improved" ideas that always seem to lead to obsolescence of tried and true values.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Note: This thread is 3065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!