IGNORED

Golf Club Maintenance

RussianCarl
Note: This thread is 6009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the proper way to maintain your golf clubs? I want to make sure my set lasts a good amount of time so I've been washing my irons with a toothbrush and warm water after each use. Is this necessary?

Also, do all irons scratch really easily? I bought a cheap set of clones for $60ish that have a mirror finish and are supposed to be made of 431 stainless steel. I've noticed that the bottoms of all of them have become scratched just from normal use - not like I am hitting rocks or anything just the dirt. I was under the impression that 431 was a pretty hard metal so I am curious how I can stop my clubs from scratching so much or if it is just a function of the mirror finish.

The clone clubs have performed well for me so far... they were pretty inexpensive so I thought I would give them a try. I am using the cheaper commercial grade True Temper shafts with Golf Pride grips so I think they are good for a beginner. Just now, however, I notice that there is a chip on the bottom toe of the 3 iron already perhaps from a mishit. How can it chip so easily after only one use? Is this the norm with irons or just mine?
Raor~

Driver: Integra SoooLong Quadratic 10.5* with Innovate 603 graphite shaft
3 Wood: Classic Tour HiGHLY 15* with Integra I-Drive graphite shaft (HiBore Clone)
Irons: Tour + C-Quence 3-SW Irons (Nike Pro Combo OS clones)Wedge: T7 TM Series 60* Lob Wedge (TaylorMade R7 Clone)Putter: STX Snyc 9750...

Soap and water after every round works for me. I also clean the grooves and remove any dirt from the bottom of the club. If dirty balls don't travel well and don't putt well, what's to say dirty clubs perform well?

I also do this for another reason. To see where I'm hitting the ball on the club. This is an old baseball trick. In addition to having clubs that give me feedback, being able to see where I hit it, helps, too.

Am I anal or does anyone else consider golf club maintenance to include charting distance of the club?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I keep a brush with my clubs and I clean before and after each round, plus any chance I get during the round, especially after hitting a shot that makes me need to clean it.

Am I anal or does anyone else consider golf club maintenance to include charting distance of the club?

I'm not sure if I consider that to be part of club maintenance, but it's certainly crucial!

My own problem: I need to get better about cleaning my grips. They're also almost a year and a half old; perhaps I should replace them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually give the club a quick wipe after a shot on the course....not so at the range unless it's just clogged with mud.

Post Range/Round

1. warm water & dish soap + nylon brush
2. wipe dry with cotton towel
3. spray grooves with a bit of wd-40 & wipe down
4. put headcovers on and stow away

I sleep well knowing the clubs have been taken care of.

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

My club had club storage for $110 per year. The backshop is air conditioned in summer and heated in winter, which I find helps from having the grips dry out. They clean them after every round and do the grips a couple times a year. It is also very convenient; head to the club and I don't have to worry about having them in the car etc...

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

• 2 weeks later...
If I had a new set of irons I would buy light weight club covers to protect the irons from banging and scratching each other while I carry my bag. My clubs are broken in and I don't worry about them.

When I clean the grooves I use water and a tooth pick.

I heard Phil Mickelson used a groove tool to sharpen his wedges to help the ball bite out of the rough during a skins game at Big Horn the announcer overheard Phil talk about that to the other players. I never tried it but sounds interesting.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Has anybody found an ultrasonic cleaner ? I understand that they are much more thorough in scouring out the grooves.

no, but an electric toothbrush works great. you might not want to keep it in the bathroom though.

My Blog

I give them a good bath with Dawn ant hot water. Just as important, if not more, to keeping the clubheads clean is to clean your grips!

Again, I use Dawn and a nylon scrub brush. It's always nice to see the dirt rinsing away. I know I'll have a clean tacky grip.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

3. spray grooves with a bit of wd-40 & wipe down

I have never heard of this. Why do you do it? Anyone else use wd-40?

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

I usually give the club a quick wipe after a shot on the course....not so at the range unless it's just clogged with mud.

Is WD-40 oil based? I don't know if I'd want to lubricate the face of my irons as that would reduce the back spin.

I'm absolutely fanatical about cleaning my clubs; cannot stand even looking at a dirty club face or a number on an iron in a bag that is soiled/has dirt on/in it.

I'll hit a few iron shots at the range (3 hits maybe), then wipe that iron down.

Can't even stand those clean, (sweep-like) tee marks on the bottom of my driver after a few rips.

Note: This thread is 6009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!