IGNORED

Nike Forged Blades

RichF
Note: This thread is 5934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My advice Rich is to get some golf lessons first. Once you have ironed out your major swing faults, you will be better qualified to demo different types of clubs and find the right combination that will improve your game.

Had a few lessons already.

The main problem I'm having is on the wedges - cocking my wrists and trying to jab the ball onto the green: that's what killing my scores. I either squirt the ball or skull it across the green. From 120-200 yards out, 3-9 Iron I'm perfectly fine with. No problems at all. I had a lesson tonight and asked my Pro tonight about blades and he was as honest as he could be: he said it's a simple case of whatever you're comfortable with: blades won't improve my game drasticially - but I may find the learning-curve gets steeper if I switch now. Given my current swing, if I really wanted blades, then I should wait for another 2-3 months.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a few lessons already.

If you were perfectly fine from 120-200 yards out you would be hitting greens and your index would be a lot lower. But, honestly man wait a few months, maybe even longer there is no point in rushing things with golf. Buying a new set of expensive irons won't help the chipping your frustrated about and if anything it might hurt your game because of how unforgiving the clubs really are. Learning how to have a consistent swing should be key for you not jumping into some hard clubs to hit. I mean com'n man do you really need a set of blades? I highly doubt your capable of shaping shots already and at the end of the day thats the main reason people play blades.

However, it is your money, and your decision either way. You asked for peoples opinion on the matter and you got them. If you feel you actually do want to learn how to play golf with a set of blades then by all means go ahead, but try not to beat yourself up to much if you find out your game is getting worse because of your ball striking.

Whats in the bag!

Driver: Titileist 983 E. 9.5* S.
Woods 3&5: Titileist 906F
Irons: Nike NDS 3-pwLob Wedge: Vokey 60*Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56*Putter: Nike Oz Black T160. 35Ball: Titileist Pro V1-x

Well, I tested 'em yesterday and they felt good (considering it was pretty cold - 9° - and we had a 30mph wind blowing around at times.)
I decided not to use the whole set of Nike Forged but mixed a set of my existing Mizuno cavities (3,4,5-Iron, SW, LW) with the Nikes (6, 7, 8, 9, PW).
Admittedly, as someone pointed out earlier, I'm not at a stage yet where I can draw or fade an iron shot at will, but getting actual contact and hitting the ball straight and with height was no problem at all for me using the blades.
As I've already pointed out before, I lost some distance on them (i.e. one of the Par3s, 155yds - I usually use my 6-Iron and drop-on, but with the Nike 6-Iron, I was short by about 10yds), but then I wasn't going out with my full-swing.
Another thing to point out: the Nikes were off-the-shelf.....my Mizuno's I had custom-fit for me (extra 1" in the shaft and 3° upright on the lie).

Short-game from 20-30 yds out is still crap, though, blades or otherwise.

Conclusion:
Am I getting a set?
Not yet .

Thanks for the input, guys.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

As I've already pointed out before, I lost some distance on them (i.e. one of the Par3s, 155yds - I usually use my 6-Iron and drop-on, but with the Nike 6-Iron, I was short by about 10yds), but then I wasn't going out with my full-swing.

I believe that is because the weaker lofts in blades compared to GI irons.

P.S: If you want blades but still struggling with your game, at least get the one with a little bit helping feature like MP-60. Don't go all out on pure blades. Just my thoughts.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I believe that is because the weaker lofts in blades compared to GI irons.

Fusioncal - the only areas of my game that it is currently concerning me (and I've had a couple of lessons purely to sort this out) is: a) the chipping-shortgame from around the green, that is, 10-20 yards from the fringe and greenside rough. b) short-putting (4-10 footers) Again, I lost a load of strokes yesterday because of them - I hit a real good groove round about the 9th hole onwards with Par4s where I'd hit consistent drives/3-woods, and chip on from about 90-110 yds with either 9, PW or SW only to 3-putt! The holes that did me in were the 400+yd holes where my 2nd shot 5/6-iron approach fell just short of the green causing me to either baby the ball a few feet or skull across the green.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

As far as playing the game goes I don't really see any rationale with switching to blades. Pimping up your gear is another thing. That's more in the deparment of "Should I shoot my pistol regular or gangsta style?" how ever.

This is hilarious. I have added to my signature so I never forget it. And now, for my info just so the post isnt pointless. I play Nike ProCombo irons. I really like them. They give more forgiveness on the long irons, while leaving me the ability to work the ball with the short irons. Tell the truth, a full forged blade 4 iron would probably scare the shit out of me when I looked down over it to carry a pond on a par 5.

In my Arkansas Razorbacks stand bag:

Driver:SasQuatch SUMO2 9.5°

2 hybrid 16° 3, 4 hybrid 3DX5-PW: Tour Pro ComboWedges: 52°, 56°, 60° spin milled Putter: Circa '62 No. 1 ; Newport Tel 3 LongNeck ; Newport 2 ButtonBack LTDBalls: ProV1

Fusioncal

Chipping within 90-110 yards? Are you sure? I hit

full shot with either my AW or PW within 90-110 yardages. Around 50s, I pitch. Below 30s, I chip. Anyway, ask yourself how many GIR percentage do you get in the last 5 rounds on all par 3s. I think, that's how good you are with your irons.
What's in the bag:

Chipping within 90-110 yards? Are you sure? I hit

My fault - I always use the word

'chip' when using those clubs!! Of all the Par3's, from the tee, I hit 3 out of 5. One was incorrect club selection (usually use the Mizuno CB 6-Iron and chose the Nike MB 6-Iron which left me short) and the 2nd was the fact that it was late, it was the 18th hole and none of us could actually see the green anyway as it was too damn dark!
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

RichF , how long have you been playing? I may have a very relevant story to tell you, from which you can take what you may.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

Buy what works and looks good for you. I played Mizuno Comp Ez and switches to Mizuno MP30 and now playing MP33 irons, each time I switched my game improved. If you can hit the blades you are considering on a driving range that also allows you to take them out on the golf course this will help you decide what right for you.

Another thought is to try a combo set of blades with cavities. 7-Pw can be blades and 6-4 irons can be cavities or a mix of even hybrids. Good luck .

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

This is hilarious. I have added to my signature so I never forget it. And now, for my info just so the post isnt pointless. I play Nike ProCombo irons. I really like them. They give more forgiveness on the long irons, while leaving me the ability to work the ball with the short irons. Tell the truth, a full forged blade 4 iron would probably scare the shit out of me when I looked down over it to carry a pond on a par 5.

When I first read this comment, my first thought was "where in the heck did he come up with that?" As this IS a golf forum.. And I laughed out loud.. and really, really hard. Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

and to the O.P., I see that you said you will not be picking up a set, but I wanted to post because, for the past couple of weeks I have comtemplated picking up a cheap set of used blades. BUT purely for practice on the range or practice rounds with my instructor to build my confidence in my swing. My ball striking has been great lately(hit too many GIRs to count, but know for sure 4 on the front 9, today!), but I personally dont think that the switch would help my game right now. **anyone with a set of mizunos they're looking to get rid of????** So my point is, why dont you just get the set of blades you want and keep them as a second set? if you want to learn to hit with them, then by all means do so. I will be, soon. You're definitely NOT going to be stud the first couple of times you hit with them, it takes lots of practice and patience. The only blades I have hit are Titelists.. 695s and 690s. and I like the feel of those, but it was soooo hard to get that feel with every shot. So if you have money to spend, go for it. I would just make sure to demo as many sets as possible before purchase b/c everyone is different.

HS9 10.5 reg shaft ys5.6
Big Bertha Steel Heads 3 &5 woods
Carbon CB PW-5i
baffler 20* 4i
Vokey wedge 54* White Hot # 1 KARMA balls for winter"maybe if we all stopped analyzing and thinking so much about this GAME, we'd have time to play this GAME like a GAME is supposed to be PLAYED. ...

My fault - I always use the word

No prob.

Three out of five means only 60% chance. You may want to increase it to around 90% or more. Good luck!
What's in the bag:

No prob.

But the one in the dark, I just only just make out the green and the flag, so I'm having that one...so, that's 4 out of 5.

The incorrect club-selection....well, that wasn't technically a fault with my stroke. So, I'll have that one too. 5/5.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

But the one in the dark, I just only just make out the green and the flag, so I'm having that one...so, that's 4 out of 5.

Incorrect club selection doesn't count.

What's in the bag:

If I EVER get to 90% GIR on par-3s I think I'll just quit golf while I'm ahead.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

If I EVER get to 90% GIR on par-3s I think I'll just quit golf while I'm ahead.

I've started really concentrating on the Par3's - I used to hate them. Always teeing too high, hitting too hard, falling short, drawing left or shanking badly.

Now - give me bunkers either side, water at the front, any length from 90-175yards and I feel really confident of hittng dancefloor off the tee.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

• 2 months later...
No prob.

Tiger led the PGA tour in 2007 hitting 71.02% greens in regulation.

http://www.pgatour.com/players/r/?/00/87/93/stats Anyone that can hit 90% GIR from the black tee should join the tour. Back to the topic. How do the Nike Forged Blades play? How are they compared to the Mizuno MP-14 and MP-29?

In The Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°, Fujikura RE*AX 65g Stiff
Hybrid: CLK 17°, Exsar HS2 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60, Project X 6.0, 3i / MP-32, Project X 6.0, 4i-PWWedges: MP-T Black Ni, 51.06 / 56.13 / 60.08Putter: Studio Style Newport 2, 34" / 340gBall: e5+

Note: This thread is 5934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!