IGNORED

Daly on Nationwide

flash
Note: This thread is 6012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And honestly that would be soooo f-ing cool if he signed on with titleist just to give all the titleist snobs something to wine about.

I got news for ya, they're whining already, just at the prospect! Snooty bunch if you ask me.

It's weird, though, I thought JD and the best driver company around would've made a good match, yet it only lasted a year. And a relatively tame year in the life of Long John.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No tiger is the kind of guy who signs a 100 million dollar endorsement deal with gatorade.. goes to a restaurant and leave his waitress a $10 tip then goes up to her and asks her for $5 back because he accidently tipped $5 more than he originally wanted to.

I think it is unfortunate that people confuse celebrity with newsworthiness or, more importantly, value, character or integrity or anything necessarily of value. Anna Nicole Smith, Brittany Spears and their ilk attract a lot of attention. They do so because large media outlets can sell time on the programs they feature these celebrities and many viewers, eager to witness the unfortunate choices these types of people make and the inevitable disasterous consequences they suffer, are willing supplicants at the alter of those media outlets. Additionally, impressionable children often identify with the outcast or rebellious nature of these celebrities and emulate them. Any parent who thinks an alcoholic, chain smoking, sex addicted celebrity, such as John Daly, is a worthy role model for their children or

any child should examine very carefully what morals they are intending to impart to their children. The very idea of functioning as an apologist for one such as he is curious. If he were not a celebrity but rather a neighbor in the house next door, would you value having someone with his habits and disregard for others in such proximity? I really doubt that anybody would enjoy living next to someone like him. He would be the type of neighbor who would cause you to call the police at 2:00a.m., for fear he and his wife might murder each other, or just for waking you up with their yelling. There is an undeniable relish in seeing one like Daly redeem himself on the golf course and, I believe, any decent person surely must pull for him to staighten out his life and learn to make better choices going forward. To celebrate his style and past choices or to find value in his bad habits is certainly something one can choose to do. But I'm not sure that I would wish to spend much time with that type of person. Does that make me a snob? It makes me no more a snob than the person who rejects out of hand my perogative to hold myself and others, especially those who function, whether they like it or not, as role models, to a certain standard of conduct. That thinking used to be the normative and was highly prized. The accusation of hypocrite is confusing and makes no sense. I and others on this blog have no agenda other than to share thoughts and opinions. Suggesting that someone is being hypocritical in this forum, in this context, is to suggest they are calling someone less than honest. There is no reason to be anything other than honest, here. You're out of line, bud. If I sound "hell bent on perserving golf as a gentleman's game," and I would also add, " a lady's game," then I would have to confess that I am guilty as hell, if by gentleman and lady you mean one who follows accepted rules of conduct designed to provide courteousness and consideration to all. If you mean I am a snob because I wish to keep the game exclusive to those of great financial means, then you are confusing manners with money, and they are sometimes quite exclusive. As for whatever corporate entity wishes to give Mr. Daly a sponsorship: it would be a purely business decision that has only to do in the coldest way to how Mr. Daly would enrich that company. Such an endorsement, and argueably any endorsement, has nothing to do with anything other than the cold art of mass marketing. If anyone wishes to imbue it with meaning beyond the corporate, that's their choice. Such a choice reflects, however, a poor understanding of advertising. Finally, I have never heard a fan of Titleist whine about who happens to be endorsing the line. Fans ( well, let's say most fans ) of any brand are fans of that brand because they admire the products of that brand, not necessarily the fellow paid to swing the club. And let us all try to refrain from calling our fellow bloggers names. You can argue your point without name calling.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I got news for ya, they're whining already, just at the prospect! Snooty bunch if you ask me.

The best driver company around? Last time I checked, the 905R was the #1

460CC driver on the 2006 PGA Tour. Yes, I'm a Titleist snob. And a huge fan of Daly. I would totally dig that partnership. Methinks if he switched to getting drunk on Merlot instead of Miller Lite he might be more marketable to the judgmental Jones' of the golf world.

"And let us all try to refrain from calling our fellow bloggers names. You can argue your point without name calling."

Not that it matters, but this is a forum not a blog. Blogs are generally written by one person, not anybody who logs on.

Sorry for the interruption. :0)

"And let us all try to refrain from calling our fellow bloggers names. You can argue your point without name calling."

Thanks for the correction. I'm new to these blo.. uh..I mean forums, and I don't quite have down the nomenclature. But I'm working on it.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Methinks if he switched to getting drunk on Merlot instead of Miller Lite he might be more marketable to the judgmental Jones' of the golf world.

About the merlot: wrong. Whether one drinks Petrus ( speaking of merlot ) or Mad Dog 50/50, drunk is drunk.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Any parent who thinks an alcoholic, chain smoking, sex addicted celebrity, such as John Daly, is a worthy role model for their children or

Again, the difference herein lies in the fact that some people enjoy watching him play golf, whereas some people feel they have the right to pass judgment on someone else's life because they see them on TV. Nobody here is arguing he should be a role model - we're saying his a great golfer, and why can't some people leave it at that?

It makes me no more a snob than the person who rejects out of hand my perogative to hold myself and others, especially those who function, whether they like it or not, as role models, to a certain standard of conduct.

B-b-b-but I thought you were a "live and let live" type person?

The accusation of hypocrite is confusing and makes no sense. I and others on this blog have no agenda other than to share thoughts and opinions. Suggesting that someone is being hypocritical in this forum, in this context, is to suggest they are calling someone less than honest. There is no reason to be anything other than honest, here. You're out of line, bud.

And by the way, my skeletons, unlike Mr. Daly's, will stay safely ensconced in the closet because I don't brandish them about for all the world ( and the media ) to see, as does Mr. Daly.

Put me down for "hypocrite". You sit here unloading on Daly for his behavior and his manner, yet readily admit that the main difference is nobody will ever see yours.

He's never killed anybody. He's never even gotten a DWI. Is he the only guy on earth who smokes? Who drinks too much? Who's gotten a divorce? Give me a break!
If I sound "hell bent on perserving golf as a gentleman's game," and I would also add, " a lady's game," then I would have to confess that I am guilty as hell, if by gentleman and lady you mean one who follows accepted rules of conduct designed to provide courteousness and consideration to all.

Is this part of your "courteousness and consideration to all" campaign:

My second reason for responding is to comment on that bloviated, doughy dimpled butted, inebriated, can't keep ( as the Brits say ) his bits and pieces to himself [ see his autobiography ], classless, slobby piece of trailer trash from that magnificent state of Arkansas.

I guess I'll just never get the "holier than thou" attitude in the world.

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

About the merlot: wrong. Whether one drinks Petrus ( speaking of merlot ) or Mad Dog 50/50, drunk is drunk.

Thank you for emphatically proving my humble opinion wrong, Mr. Jones. My Stepford wife is less judgmental.

Mad Dog is 20/20, if I recall correctly from my drunken college days.

Thank you for emphatically proving my humble opinion wrong, Mr. Jones. My Stepford wife is less judgmental.

Oh well, I did spell Petrus correctly.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Is it not Mr. Daly's rhetoric of failure punctuated by his ephemeral periods of ascendancy that endear him to the masses?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Again, the difference herein lies in the fact that some people enjoy watching him play golf, whereas some people feel they have the right to pass judgment on someone else's life because they see them on TV. Nobody here is arguing he should be a role model - we're saying his a great golfer, and why can't some people leave it at that?

It is difficult, if not impossible to debate someone who uses fallacious reasoning, so I am not going to respond any more to your comments above except to point out a misuse of a term: I think you don't understand the meaning of the term, " holier than thou." The term means sanctimonious, which means "pretending to be devout and righteous." I am pretending to be nothing other than one with certain standards for conducting oneself. My standards happen to be different than those of Daly's. The fact that my standards are different from his or that I am willing to state that fact in this thread of this forum certainly does not define a " holier than thou" attitude. You ought to know the meaning of the words you so casually toss about.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Is it not Mr. Daly's rhetoric of failure punctuated by his ephemeral periods of ascendancy that endear him to the masses?

Perhaps. Good point.

I'm a sucker for flawed human beings that don't tow the line to socialtal parameters and achieve the highest levels of their profession (whilst those that despise chastise). But that's just me. Eagerly hoping for John to win another major and put out the movie. If you've read his book, you know what I mean.

Funny and clever! However, it is not his "rhetoric" of failure, which would be his failure in the use of the study of language, rather it is his failure of sound and healthy choices punctuated by the fury of his ephemeral periods of ascendancy which endear him to the masses; or, to put it in a more time worn context, sin and redemption ( redemption being a relative term in this context ). I agree with your intent.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Once again, I feel like everyone who plays golf cant be the good guy. He's not a good role model and i never defended him as one.

"titleist snob" not everyone who plays titleist is a snob. But there is an air about the brand and some who use it.. "better players play these clubs".

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Funny and clever! However, it is not his "rhetoric" of failure, which would be his failure in the use of the study of language, rather it is his failure of sound and healthy choices punctuated by the fury of his ephemeral periods of ascendancy which endear him to the masses; or, to put it in a more time worn context, sin and redemption ( redemption being a relative term in this context ). I agree with your intent.

I chose rhetoric as in the undue use of exaggeration or display. Since most literaries do not subscribe to this usage, it will be the last time that I quote The Police,

Spirits in the Material World.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I chose rhetoric as in the undue use of exaggeration or display. Since most literaries do not subscribe to this usage, it will be the last time that I quote The Police,

Quote whomever you like. I was quoting the Random House Dictionary I keep by my desk. I like the Police.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Quote whomever you like. I was quoting the Random House Dictionary I keep by my desk. I like the Police.

That's a prudent choice, my pedactic confrere.

Now, back to John...anyone?

It is difficult, if not impossible to debate someone who uses fallacious reasoning, so I am not going to respond any more to your comments above

I didn't figure you would after getting caught contradicting yourself over and over again.

Enjoy your weekend.

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

Note: This thread is 6012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!