IGNORED

New vs Old clubs - is it psychological?

Note: This thread is 3021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The GolfSmith by my work has a Cleveland Black 19 hybrid that seems really easy for me to hit solid. In my bag I have an early generation Nickent hybrid of the same general dimensions. I don't hit the Nickent nearly as well.

I want to buy the Cleveland. Should I? Is there any new technology/feature that is really making it seem easier to hit solid?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

A number of factors to consider:

• Head design. The position of the Vertical Center of Gravity (VCOG) influences which one will fly best for you. A player with a slower swing speed would benefit more from a VCOG positioned low and back (help get the ball up), while players with a fast swing likely would benefit from a VCOG positioned more forward and a bit higher (less need for launch help, would produce a more penetrating shot with potential for more distance. (And, other clubjeads fall between the low-back, and higher-forward extremes.)
        Also: Amount of offset. If you close clubhead more slowly, offset can help you square clubface by impact.
  • Shaft.  Common factors include overall flex, weight and kickpoint. OEMs are having second thoughts on the superlight shafts - some average golfers can have control problems because it's harder to "feel" the club at top. TaylorMade SLDR FWs and hybrids ended up with stock shaft weights in the 70+ gram range; I chatted online with a TM rep and asked why, and he said the heavier shafts give better control to average golfers.
        And, here are some refinements in charting shaft dynamics and flex:

Again, get on the launch monitor and hit the two clubs side by side. A good fitter can explain the numbers to you, which likely will give clues to why the Cleveland seems better. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, gregsandiego said:

I want to buy the Cleveland. Should I? Is there any new technology/feature that is really making it seem easier to hit solid?

Sometimes certain clubs just "work" better than others. It doesn't necessarily mean the technology is better, could just be the look, shaft, weight, fits your swing more appropriately. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Clubs ... I've had my share ... my ex would tell you more than my share.

You don't know until you hit them -- you can guess based on your ability and the description of the club, then it's how you hit them. 

The Nickents are fairly old, ball tech has changed, everything is lower COG, higher launch, balls now launch higher, spin less. Tech makes a difference, most probably in this case.

I played Nickents back in the day .. they always felt harder than a rock ... was not pleasing to me. If you hit the Cleveland better, it's the club. Go for it.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!