IGNORED

How to handle the kids?

questforscratch
Note: This thread is 6024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have 3 kids. 7, 4, 2. They all love coming with me to the range and the 7 year old has a pretty good swing. I took her to play 9 holes a few weeks ago and she loved it. Carried her own bag and everything. I know I can't teach her a proper swing but is it worth getting her some lessons already? What is too early or too late? Will she start bad habits and will it be too hard to fix them later?

www.questforscratch.com

irons 775.cb
driver R7

I am 14 and just started playing golf this summer, and man I wished that my mom would have put me in the camp earlier, I love this game! But back to your question I would say that if she wants a lesson then go ahead and sign her up. Seeing that you are in Scottsdale, check out Las Sendas Golf Course, one of their pro's, James Contreras, is great with kids. This summer he taught me and I dropped about 10-12 strokes because of him.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I have three boys now ages 18, 14 and 10...the younger two love golf and the oldest hates golf.

I have never forced the game on any of them, they have all gone out with me at about the age of 7 or 8 to the driving range a few times at first, then we would we go to the local 9 hole which has 7 par 3's and 2 par 4's. I just let them have fun, never ever keep score for the first year that they play, let them learn the basics of the swing from me like stance and grip and just learn to enjoy (or in the case of my oldest, not enjoy) the game.

Our local parks department has an excellent summer golf program of group leessons and then 9 holes of golf, split into age appropriate divisions, a wonderful program that teaches swing mechanics and golf etiquette, all done in a fun way with a little FRIENDLY competition thereafter. The younger two of my boys have attended this program for a couple years each and it really helps, plus the get to play golf every week even if I don't get them out to the course.

My biggest tip that I tell everyone about getting kids into golf is twofold...don't force the game on them (they either like or hate golf and their love or disinterest in the game is no reflection of their love for you), and keep the game fun at first, don't overburden the kids with swing mechanics and a lot of teaching and badgering each swing. Let the kids play golf...the sport will take care of hooking them on its own. Most of us have never had a golf lesson when we were young, we went to the course or range with a friend and were self taught, at least for a while, from there.

It is easy to live vicariously through your kids in any sport...especially in golf...don't let that happen. If your kid is the next Tiger Woods or Annika Sorenstam, he or she will be found soon enough by the golf establishment.

Driver: Titleist 905T 11.5*

Hybrids: Cleveland HALO Hybrids 19*, 22*

Irons Snake Eyes Python O/S irons (I carry 5,7,9,A irons)

Wedges: Adams Tom Watson SW 56* (sometimes carry Adams Tom Watson LW 60*)

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 Rossie or Tommy Armour EFT Series Model 6

I was absolutely floored to see all of the quality (not toys) child and youth equipment at the Sports Authority recently. This stuff just wasn't readily available just a generation ago unless it was custom made. Start 'em as soon as you think it will hold their interest. Most kids can concentrate on something by the time they reach the age of 7 or 8.

Are you a newlywed? Most men's hobbies/sports are meant to get them away from work, wives and kids for some R&R.;

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

I your child likes it get them a lesson or two to get them started in the right direction. They should learn a good grip, setup, and the basics of the swing. After that leave them be. If she wants more lessons then by all means get her more lessons but don't push. All a child needs at a young age is the basics and a lot of fun and encouragment.

Working at the course I see these psycho parents buying large bucket after large bucket for their 8 year old who really would rather be anywhere but the golf course. One dad has a daughter who is routinely in tears because he berates her when she makes mistakes on the course. She's 12 for the love of god.

My dad and grandfather did the right thing. They introduced me to the game, I took one lesson as a kid where the pro taught me a proper grip and setup, and then they let me do whatever I wanted to. I gave up the game for most of my teens and early 20's but returned. And when I returned I had the basics down so I improved very quickly. Now I play weekly with my father and we have a great time.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I applaud the fact you wish to interest your kids in golf. It is a grand sport for kids. I have three girls, ages 10, 8 and 4. Since we live by the golf course and keep a cart in our garage, we frequent the course often, especially in the spring, summer and early fall. The girls' exposure to the course sparked their interest in the game. My eldest expressed an interest in learning to play when she was about 6. My pro suggested a small TaylorMade set ( no longer made ), and gave her a few ten to fifteen minute lessons. Katherine eventually grew out of her clubs and we bought her a set of Ping Moxies. She continued to play, but she practiced very little. In the meantime, her sister inherited the TaylorMade set and she started playing. Now, during this time, they also played league softball, soccer and, last year, basketball. I encouraged the girls to play golf but NEVER insisted. If we went out to play, when they got tired, we quit. I had and continue to have only one hard and fast rule, no whining about bad shots. I have one other rule, that is applicable on occasion: if they wish to participate in a club tournament, such as the parent/child or the Jr. Club Championship, then they must prepare for it. That preparation includes about 30 minutes each afternoon supervised by me, during which each child will work on just one part of their game. If they get tired, they rest; and we stop after 30 minutes. This summer, Katherine and I came in second in the Parent/Child in the 12 and under division out of a field of 15 fathers and sons ( my 8 year old was out of town for that one ). We did well primarily because of her good play, especially getting us out of a bunker on the last hole that I had put us in. When we were presented our trophies, I was so very proud for her and so very pleased that we were able to share that experience together . It is often difficult, as kids get older, to find activities to share with them. I think, as parents, it is our obligation to try to spend as much time with our kids as our capacity and their tolerance for us will allow. Golf seems to be a great way to do this if the kid has the inclination. But maintaining a kid's interest in the game is tough; it's a delicate balance between a parent's enthusiasm for the sport and their child's relatively short attention span for the sport. The jury is still out on whether or not my kids will ever really play golf. I'm going to keep after it with them, and I would encourage any parent to try and interest their children in this magnificent game.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Wow...what great information you guys provided. So the main thing is to keep it fun, don't push and always keep them wanting more. I think that's what Tiger's dad actually did. He would pause for a few seconds when Tiger asked if they could go to the range. This made Tiger sweat for a bit thinking that his dad might say no. He always ended up saying yes. He gives some good tips also about how to make golf fun for kids in his book.

www.questforscratch.com

irons 775.cb
driver R7

Rule #1 with kids and any sport...keep it fun. Mine are 10 and 7 and they love gonig to the golf course. We usually play 9 holes and the only rule I have for them is they have to hit at least one shot per hole. The 7 year old will tire sometimes and only want to putt, the 10 year old usually wants to play every hole. I have them both 'tee off' at the 150 marker and finish the hole there.

If the kids develop real golf skills and can play the game, you'll know by their comprehension of the game and the quality of their shots, then it would be time to seek some coaching. Make sure you include the child in that decision. My kids look forward to participating in the summer junior clinics at my club each year, mainly because of the pizza party on the last day of the clinic. Every now and then they hit good shots, every now and then they whiff a couple times. Keep it fun, show them the basics for each type of shot then let them play the game.

One of my best memories is dragging my mother's clubs in a pull cart around our yard palying the golf course I "made". It was my game, my course, my rules and I loved every minute of those 'rounds'. And no, that didn't happen last month....just don't ask the neighbors ;-}

Driver: Ping Rapture 9*
3metal: Titleist 904F 15*
Hybrids: Adams Idea 18* and 20*
Irons: Titleist 690CB (4-PW)
Wedgies: Titleist Oil Can 54* and 58*Putter: Ping AllyBall: Pro V1x

I applaud the fact you wish to interest your kids in golf. It is a grand sport for kids. I have three girls, ages 10, 8 and 4. Since we live by the golf course and keep a cart in our garage, we frequent the course often, especially in the spring, summer and early fall. The girls' exposure to the course sparked their interest in the game. My eldest expressed an interest in learning to play when she was about 6. My pro suggested a small TaylorMade set ( no longer made ), and gave her a few ten to fifteen minute lessons. Katherine eventually grew out of her clubs and we bought her a set of Ping Moxies. She continued to play, but she practiced very little. In the meantime, her sister inherited the TaylorMade set and she started playing. Now, during this time, they also played league softball, soccer and, last year, basketball. I encouraged the girls to play golf but NEVER insisted. If we went out to play, when they got tired, we quit. I had and continue to have only one hard and fast rule, no whining about bad shots. I have one other rule, that is applicable on occasion: if they wish to participate in a club tournament, such as the parent/child or the Jr. Club Championship, then they must prepare for it. That preparation includes about 30 minutes each afternoon supervised by me, during which each child will work on just one part of their game. If they get tired, they rest; and we stop after 30 minutes. This summer, Katherine and I came in second in the Parent/Child in the 12 and under division out of a field of 15 fathers and sons ( my 8 year old was out of town for that one ). We did well primarily because of her good play, especially getting us out of a bunker on the last hole that I had put us in. When we were presented our trophies, I was so very proud for her and so very pleased that we were able to share that experience

Shortgame85 please throw in a paragraph somewhere. Its impossible to read your post without getting a throbbing headache.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shortgame85 please throw in a paragraph somewhere. Its impossible to read your post without getting a throbbing headache.

I'll be happy to accomadate your request. However, so that you will have some understanding of my unfortunate literary affliction, some may say afflatus, I share the following with you: I learned to read in my father's library that was filled with Faulkner and, as you no doubt know, Mr. Faulkner couldn't wrestle a sentence to the ground if his life or the lives of the Snopes' depended on it and, in addition to that, there are few if any fine southern writers who particularily appreciated the constraints of the paragraph form, not that there is any thing wrong with the idea of begining, middle and ending sentences woven together for the sake of clarity ( and not that I or anyone else would ever consider my doggerel in the same league as Mr. Bill's fine prose and screenplays [ bet you didn't know he wrote Hollywood screenplays ] ), however, the idea of so structuring one's page gives some of the more rebel minded amongst us a case of the shudders, not to be confused with the vapors, a completely different form of upset. In any event, I hope you find this helpful.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Bwahahahhaha!

Outstanding.

Driver: Ping Rapture 9*
3metal: Titleist 904F 15*
Hybrids: Adams Idea 18* and 20*
Irons: Titleist 690CB (4-PW)
Wedgies: Titleist Oil Can 54* and 58*Putter: Ping AllyBall: Pro V1x

You live in a state where golf can be played 12 months a year.Your kids have plenty of days in the year to go with you and if they feel so inclined they can "smack" the ball around. Unless your 7 year old is driving you crazy to want to play,for no I would just enjoy the time spent with them and wait till one of them shows the encouragement to go to the next level.(taking lessons,etc.)

Most instructors that I know, and I know a fair share, say that 7 is the ideal age to start with structured lessons. In terms of a kid's attention span, and willingness to learn something.

That being said, its really important to find an instructor that is truly willing to take on a kid. I teach, but I hand pick the people I teach. On a few occasions, I've been cornered by people, and feel bad by turning them down. In turn I'm not motivated to give them the best I have. Thankfully that doesn't happen too often.

hahaha "the vapors"

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'll be happy to accomadate your request. However, so that you will have some understanding of my unfortunate literary affliction, some may say afflatus, I share the following with you: I learned to read in my father's library that was filled with Faulkner and, as you no doubt know, Mr. Faulkner couldn't wrestle a sentence to the ground if his life or the lives of the Snopes' depended on it and, in addition to that, there are few if any fine southern writers who particularily appreciated the constraints of the paragraph form, not that there is any thing wrong with the idea of begining, middle and ending sentences woven together for the sake of clarity ( and not that I or anyone else would ever consider my doggerel in the same league as Mr. Bill's fine prose and screenplays [ bet you didn't know he wrote Hollywood screenplays ] ), however, the idea of so structuring one's page gives some of the more rebel minded amongst us a case of the shudders, not to be confused with the vapors, a completely different form of upset. In any event, I hope you find this helpful.

LMAO

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

LMAO

Would you be kind enough to share with me what the letters " LMAO " stand for? Thank you so much, in advance. Oh, wait a minute. I think I've got it. Does it mean, "Laughed my a** off? " I don't text message and I'm sorry, but I really don't know what the abreviations [ or whatever those things are called ] mean. Uh oh, it must mean my age is showing. I suppose I'll just have to tuck it in and keep on moving.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Would you be kind enough to share with me what the letters " LMAO " stand for? Thank you so much, in advance.

Yes....Lmao is exactly as you thought. And trust me..I have no idea how to text anyone.

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

My humble 2-cents?

It's cool that you're introducing them to the game. First and foremost, teach/tell them about golf etiquette and how to behave. Like they're in church?

Find out about junior clinics.

Re: taking them to the range whilst you're hitting balls?

Hmmmmm....

Recently a young child tore up the putting green at one of the premier courses in these parts because the parent wasn't paying attention.

Now, the father was a good golfer, mind you, but he didn't keep an eye on his 6-year old and the kid found it interesting to take full divots on a putting green.

Ouch.

Note: This thread is 6024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!