IGNORED

Fast Hands and the Speedboat Feel

iacas
Note: This thread is 2580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, colin007 said:

@iacas, i am having trouble getting this to happen, especially on the short irons and full swing p wedge, and I don't even know how to practice this in slo-mo. Any suggestions? I guess the heavier iron heads on the 8, 9, and wedge just feel like they want to come out faster than the hands can get down.

It's not something you can practice at slow speeds.

Is this your priority piece right now? Everything else is good or better?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's not something you can practice at slow speeds.

Is this your priority piece right now? Everything else is good or better?

Honestly, I'm not sure. From what I can see, straightening out the driver is one, and hitting my short irons and wedges lower/solider/more penetrating is another. I'm much more able t line up the shaft with a longer iron than say, a 9 iron.

Colin P.

On 1/5/2016 at 9:35 AM, colin007 said:

heres something ive heard many people say "I make my backswing and then when i start the downswing my arms just come along for the ride" and that seems so far from the truth, that the hands and arms are POWERFULLY driving down, and NOT passively "along for the ride".

On 1/5/2016 at 9:59 AM, iacas said:

Feel ain't real, my friend. :-D :smartass:

Let me rephrase this, because I've had somewhat similar ideas recently.  For me it's not powerfully driving down the arms and hands, but powerfully whipping the club head through the impact zone, with the right shaft angle, concentrating on whipping it along the desired club head path from A6 to A8.  But the feel/attention difference makes the swing feel more "handsy", and like my body's getting less ahead of my hands and my hands are slowing around A7.  It's winter here, so this is all based on dry swings, a few dry swing videos, and very inconsistent range time, so...

Maybe another metaphor that fits is throwing a baseball.  Obviously you don't start a pitch delivery from the top by letting your body sit and pushing your arm forward.  You start with the body and that's where the power comes from.  But you also obviously can't pitch effectively designing your mechanics around the idea that you just drive you body and your arm's passive, along for the ride.  You have to effectively build power with the body and then transfer it powerfully to the arm and hand, which involves a great deal of drive and power from the upper body muscles, shoulder, arm and hand.   

• Upvote 2

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Hello @iacas and thank you so much for sharing all these useful drills, hope I may ask for a clarification:

Which part of the hands did you ask him to hit with? The back of the left hand? 

Pulling the handle in transition, DOWNward and OUTward helps powering my swing significantly but, if I think of continuing in pull the handle, up to hit the noddle with the bottom part of the grip, I fear like the clubface may result open at impact (cutting across the ball).

Is it a reasonable concern or I should simply trust the clubface squaring by itself due to gravity effect?

Thank you in advance and best regards.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Gaetano Fasano said:

Hello @iacas and thank you so much for sharing all these useful drills, hope I may ask for a clarification:

Which part of the hands did you ask him to hit with? The back of the left hand? 

Pulling the handle in transition, DOWNward and OUTward helps powering my swing significantly but, if I think of continuing in pull the handle, up to hit the noddle with the bottom part of the grip, I fear like the clubface may result open at impact (cutting across the ball).

Is it a reasonable concern or I should simply trust the clubface squaring by itself due to gravity effect?

Thank you in advance and best regards.

For the kid in the original post… it didn't matter. His plane and path were good, and telling him to pull the hands down faster didn't change those things, it just sped up the arms relative to the rest of the body.

In most cases that's what happens. Note that he's not trying to "hold the lag" or anything like that. I suspect you're trying to pull your hands down slowly but really focusing on pulling the hands down. That's a common thing people do when they try to do this in slow motion to feel this drill, but you can't really do it that way. You won't hold the lag in real speed like you can in a slow-speed swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2016 at 6:19 AM, iacas said:

But there are a few things I want to re-iterate:

• In a good swing, the hands actually begin slowing down around A6. The precise moment varies, but it's generally around when the shaft is horizontal. The hands will also actually begin going up shortly after that.
  • This is a feel, but one grounded in science, too: if your hands slow down, the clubhead will try to kick out. If they keep accelerating, the clubhead will try to stay "behind" the hands.
  • This is very likely not your priority. You probably have other things you need to work on first. This is simply something to keep in the back of your mind.

Any questions?

Iacas

This is the only thing that has got me greater distance.  Only in like the past 3 weeks have I began doing this and it feel like the clubbed is whipping around.  Before I could only hit the pitching wedge about 80 yes, now I can hit it 100 yds and in some rare instances 120 yds.

I know this is crazy.  What I do is I picture a little fat man, who is laughing at my swing.  He has been laughing all day long at my swing.  He has his back to my target and is standing next to my right leg and has a big stomach.  I am angry at him and want to punch him in the stomach with the butt end of my club, on the downswing.  In order to do that I have to bend (cup) my right wrist.  This has the side affect of bowing the left wrist.  In order to hit his stomach, I have to get low and once I hit this imaginary target, my hands slow down and I let the wrist go completely loose.  The club then whips through all on its own.

Note: This thread is 2580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!