IGNORED

Fan of the SQUARE DRIVERS???

d_golf
Note: This thread is 6000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just putting it out there... I have swung a couple different brands/models and just don’t feel comfortable with them. Not sure if a T.V. belongs on the end of a golf shaft?? They are funny to look at though

Just my opinion... Wondering what the mass consensus is on them?
(To be made fun of ...or to have fun with?...K.J. does ok with it)

D_GOLF
Driver: R9 8.5 (S)
Irons: TP Burners XD
Putter: YES

Not a fan. Sound terrible and don't fly very far (although admittedly, very straight). I probably lost fifty yards when hitting the Sumo, not as bad with the Callaway (FT-i?) though.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Not that big of a fan of them. They are pretty distracting on the range. Here's what I hear: iron, wood, wedge, broken softball bat?

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Here's what I hear iron, wood, wedge, broken softball bat?

Class, Class, Class!

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

Not a fan. Sound terrible and don't fly very far (although admittedly, very straight). I probably lost fifty yards when hitting the Sumo, not as bad with the Callaway (FT-i?) though.

My God man, 50 yds from a driver.... I think you must've been having a bad day. I don't think any sort of equipment can make a 50 yard difference, especially if the equipment in question hits it "very straight".

In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

Could take them or leave them. I don't own one and am not in the market for a new driver, but I'd at least give them a shot when I am.

Sound terrible and don't fly very far (although admittedly, very straight).

The sound certainly is odd, if not exactly discordant or distracting. And my initial perception was similar, that they lacked in terms of carry. But the guys I've played with who hit them swear they don't lose any significant length, and they seem to be playing from a reasonable distance (which varies, of course). I wonder how much the sound influences the perception of carry and length. My guess is significantly.

Also, the constantly cited distance loss might really be the result of other factors, specifically tempo, clubhead speed, and shaft. If someone knows this club is supposed to nearly engineer a straight shot, he or she might be more inclined to make a shorter or slower swing on it, i.e. one more likely to produce a straight shot with limited distance anyway. And this sort of club might put a premium on a properly fitted shaft.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

Well gents, I don't think Ernie Els would play the FT-i tour if he lost significant distance so I think follyforhire might be on to something. I've tried the Nike Sumo2 on a launch monitor and it didn't cause any noticable loss in distance. On the other hand I don't seem to remember it helping me hit it straighter either :S I did however laugh at the 46" inch shaft and opted to test the head with a 45" stiff shaft.
In My Bag:

Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

My Callaway rep tells me you'll be seeing more and more Callaway sponsored tour players with the FT-i in their hands in the near future. I guess the guys like them. Personally I've yet to hit one. My good buddy has one, but I haven't given it a go. A little afraid I may like it. The last thing I need right now is another new driver to get comfortable with.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Class, Class, Class!

What's that supposed to mean?

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

never hit one on a course, but the sumo sounds like shit.

off topic, but OP, did i play poker with you at the tropicana in vegas in late september? i remember a guy handing out cards for the GUB golf belts. (me, college guy, 22 years old, sat to your right, you got tanked, i was well on my way). if so hit me up

matt

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5* ($99 thanks to Dick's!)
3 Wood: 15* R7 steel
2 Hybrid: 17* 3DX DC
3 Hybrid: 20* 3DX DC
Irons: Tour Burner 4-AWWedges: 56* and 60* CG10Putter: Mid Sur cut to 34"; Karsten Craz E 35"Home Course: Olive Branch CC http://obcountryclub.com/

I tested them last summer. I felt it was to difficult to vary your shot shape. I also felt I lost a little distance, especially roll. They were very straight, as a short hitter I need to be able to do more than hit it straight.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I tested them last summer. I felt it was to difficult to vary your shot shape. I also felt I lost a little distance, especially roll. They were very straight, as a short hitter I need to be able to do more than hit it straight.

I disagree. I myself am also a short hitter usually hitting about 230-250.... If you said to me you'll take 5 yards of distance but greatly increase the chances of a drive right down the middle (or atleast where I'm aiming it) I'd take that in a heart beat.

Really, what's 5 yards off the tee? It's not even a full club difference.
In My Bag:

I have demoed both clubs and I found that the FT-i felt a lot more solid and comfortable than the Sumo. I felt that the Sumo twisted too much if you hit it out on the toe.

In respect to the noise that they make, it was ear piercing. Especially being in a confined space in the store.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I disagree. I myself am also a short hitter usually hitting about 230-250.... If you said to me you'll take 5 yards of distance but greatly increase the chances of a drive right down the middle (or atleast where I'm aiming it) I'd take that in a heart beat.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough. I hit it pretty straight, the ability to put a shot in a more specific area helps minimize my length limitations. I found it difficult to do this with the square drivers, and I lost more than five yards more like 10-15. Since I am hitting more club into the green than most it is more important to come from the best angle, or make sure I don't have to carry a 3 iron right over a bunker or water hazard. If I draw or fade the ball I also feel I have a greater margin for error since I can take the area of greatest risk out of play usually.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I "get" it. The method behind the madness and engineering of Square. Makes sense. But. But?

Not quite sure the "traditionalists" will adopt the look, however. That D1 is even fuglier.

Tiger soon to play a Square says the rumour? All bets are off. He'll play Square for a week and then go back to the old 975D and the ValueGuide prices will go up and down on both drivers...again.

Can't comment on the drivers, but I have Ozzy Moto Fairway woods (#3 and #5). They are Sumo clones. Compared to my previous woods, they are easier for a hack like me to hit straight and I didn't notice any difference loss. If anything it is an increase since previoulsy I would be flying off to the right which puts me further from the cup. 180 down the fairway is better than 220 into the trees, eh?

In my (looking for a new cart bag):

Driver: AirMax 430-S, 10.5°, Fujikura R Flex
3-Wood: Gigagolf Ozzy Moto, 15°, UST PGH 100 R Flex
5-Wood: Gigagolf Ozzy Moto, 18°, UST PGH 100 R FlexHybrids: Deep Red 17°/21°Irons: Deep Red, 17-4 Stainless, 5-PWWedges: Orlimar SOS Black Oxide,...

eh, there just weird....i mean, they look odd, feel odd, and sound odd..

but the results are rather nice....

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

• 3 weeks later...
never hit one on a course, but the sumo sounds like shit.

Hey Matt.

Yes, that is me. Wasn't quite tanked though..more playing the part Was a good time though for sure! You still have the card? David

D_GOLF
Driver: R9 8.5 (S)
Irons: TP Burners XD
Putter: YES

Note: This thread is 6000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!