IGNORED

Handicaps

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 3040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

You cannot play golf on your own without a licence?

How tightly is that enforced? Is that the case at all courses? That's quite the obstacle to enticing new players to the game!

No that is not possible. @Big_in_Belgium is spot on, people without a license are restricted to the range and to the pitch and putt courses. It can be quite some obstacle to new players, and it can be a cause of golfers being viewed as elitist for a bit, although it is improving. On the other hand, it ensures that people on the course have basic knowledges on rules, etiquette and on how to swing a club, which could improve everyones enjoyment. I am happy with this system. Yes it is a bit of a hassle to start, but you have to take lessons and I certainly improved because of those lessons. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, DutchGolf said:

No that is not possible. @Big_in_Belgium is spot on, people without a license are restricted to the range and to the pitch and putt courses. It can be quite some obstacle to new players, and it can be a cause of golfers being viewed as elitist for a bit, although it is improving. On the other hand, it ensures that people on the course have basic knowledges on rules, etiquette and on how to swing a club, which could improve everyones enjoyment. I am happy with this system. Yes it is a bit of a hassle to start, but you have to take lessons and I certainly improved because of those lessons. 

That might not be such a bad thing over here too. I certainly would not have objected to taking a course and test. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

34 minutes ago, Lihu said:

That might not be such a bad thing over here too. I certainly would not have objected to taking a course and test. . .

If you think that folks are upset about the new handicap posting rules, then just try and suggest that they need to pass both theory and playing tests before they ever set foot on a course.  Americans have the inalienable right to act and look as stupid and uninformed as they want in almost any venue, golf course not excepted.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

20 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

If you think that folks are upset about the new handicap posting rules, then just try and suggest that they need to pass both theory and playing tests before they ever set foot on a course.  Americans have the inalienable right to act and look as stupid and uninformed as they want in almost any venue, golf course not excepted.

That's really what separates us from the rest of the world. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!