IGNORED

Odyssey Marxman X-Act

keb
Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone tried the Odyssey Marxman X-Act which is advertised as a putting wedge. I would like to improve my short game and wonder if this is something to consider. I probably am being lazy looking for easy solution, when what I need is time on the practice green

I tried it today at Golfsmith, and it does indeed do what it is advertised to do. However, I still suggest just practicing.

Personally I'd never use one.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Aren't they illegal? Why waste a spot in your bag when you have a 7 iron you can choke down on?

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

i think this is defiently marketed for the higher handicap...i mean, a wedge works just as well as this thing would...

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

i think this is defiently marketed for the higher handicap...i mean, a wedge works just as well as this thing would...

Or a hybrid.

"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

• 2 months later...
Well this is my first post so please do not slam me.I was a person who hated clubs like this and I am not a hacker but this thing works better than my hybrid it is not the same as chipping with a 7 iron it is just a easier club to hit under certain circumstances and if I can save a couple strokes around why not.I dont carry a three wood so I have only 14 clubs in my bag and if it is not legal to play I would not use it if that is the case. This thing works great as a 40 yard wedge also so it is not just a chipper. I also dont how my handicap shows I am a 36 as I am a 4 on a easy course and a 12 on a course that has a slope of 139 that is mostly water and traps.lol I guess I shanked on my profile it is fixed now .Thank you.

this is an old cocept and the oddessy preforms the same as a 15$ one on ebay so i would suggest to save your money and buy a cheep verxion from ebay

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

this is an old cocept and the oddessy preforms the same as a 15$ one on ebay so i would suggest to save your money and buy a cheep verxion from ebay

You are right but the same could be said for any golf club made.

I'm pretty sure they're the same things as the $10 chipper clubs found at stores like wal-mart. They're basically a putter with a wide sole, easy line up lines, and the loft of a 7 iron. I used one for about half a season, and it really was easy to line up and hit. No chunking on the bump and runs. I was told by a more experienced golfer that I should get that gimmick out of my bag, so I did. If I ever lose my confidence chipping again, I'll go pick up another one. I'll definately try out el cheapo before I pay for an Odyssey version.

driver: G10 draw 9 degrees
hybrids DWS 16 and 20 degrees
irons: x-16 3-pw
wedges: 588 RTG 51, 56 & 60
putter: Heavy Putter B3-Mball: hx tour (I'll switch after I lose these)

I traded some old clubs that sat in my garage for over a year for it I and I am not a bad chipper but for some reason the last couple of week I have been chipping very poorly.I was just playing around with this thing on a pratice green a no mater what kind of lie I had I just hit this thing well so I will give it a chance.I want one that is legal to play also so I dont know about the walmart ones.Thank you

This club to me seems very pointless and doesn't look good at adress.
I just think that if you want to bump and run it just take a 6 or 7 iron.
That way it looks familiar at adress, and it doesnt take up space in you bag.

Driver Launcher 7.5 YSQ Xshaft
2Hybrid Rescue Hybrid 17*
Irons Tour Preferred 3-PW
Wedges Vokey 52*
Wedges Vokey SM 60*Putter Abaco 33"Ball TP/Red/LDP or Penta TP

Well this is my first post so please do not slam me.I was a person who hated clubs like this and I am not a hacker but this thing works better than my hybrid it is not the same as chipping with a 7 iron it is just a easier club to hit under certain circumstances and if I can save a couple strokes around why not.I dont carry a three wood so I have only 14 clubs in my bag and if it is not legal to play I would not use it if that is the case. This thing works great as a 40 yard wedge also so it is not just a chipper. I also dont how my handicap shows I am a 36 as I am a 4 on a easy course and a 12 on a course that has a slope of 139 that is mostly water and traps.lol I guess I shanked on my profile it is fixed now .Thank you.

First, welcome to the forum. I hope you post often. Second, nobody's slamming you, they're just expressing their opinions. I think their opinions are pretty good.

If you're a 6 to 12 handicap, you ought to have developed some feel around the greens. I like the suggestions that you try chipping with a 7 iron or even a hybrid. When I practice a bit with either of those clubs, and I have a fairly straightforward shot at the hole, those two clubs can be very effective. On the other hand, if you wish to spend a hundred dollars on the Marxman X-Act, it's your change. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

The one advantage to most chipper clubs, at least in my mind, is the shaft length and lie angle. Trying to chip with a hybrid is awkward, due to the longer shaft and lie angle and having to choke down so far on the club (really below the grip in my case to be effective), and chipping with a 7 iron is also difficult due to the lie angle and the propensity to chunk a shot on more than one occasion.

I carry a $10 chipper on and off, it works surprisingly well within maybe 20-30 yards on bump and runs, and also for chipping off the fringe. I say if you want to use a chipper and it helps, go right ahead. Maybe not worth a $100+ to me, since a $10 edition does the job for me, but it is your money, spend it like you want.

Driver: Titleist 905T 11.5*

Hybrids: Cleveland HALO Hybrids 19*, 22*

Irons Snake Eyes Python O/S irons (I carry 5,7,9,A irons)

Wedges: Adams Tom Watson SW 56* (sometimes carry Adams Tom Watson LW 60*)

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 Rossie or Tommy Armour EFT Series Model 6

all the ones are leagal even the walmart ones so just save your money and buy a new wedge

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I've got a really old cougar chipper that I found among my grandfathers clubs I'm guessing its at least from the 70's if not older.

I love it.

But I keep practicing with my standard clubs as well because I'd like to make room for a 5 wood.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

all the ones are leagal even the walmart ones so just save your money and buy a new wedge

Do you think Odyssey would spend a small fortune producing, marketing and selling a club considered illegal? Which governing body considers this club illegal? To what rules are you referring?

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

It's only illegal if it has two faces or a putter-style grip. It's considered an iron and just has to conform to the same rules and iron does.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

• Administrator
It's only illegal if it has two faces or a putter-style grip. It's considered an iron and just has to conform to the same rules and iron does.

Loft plays a factor as well. You can have a dual-sided putter (like a Bullseye). USGA rules define a putter as "A putter is a club with a loft not exceeding ten degrees designed primarily for use on the putting green."

Most of the chippers I've seen have about 30 degrees of loft or so, no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!