IGNORED

Driver: could you play without one?

RichF
Note: This thread is 5969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i think i could live without my driver, my last tourney in the fall the 2nd day i only hit driver twice the second day and 10 or 11 times the first day, i shot 5 shots better with less driver so i think next tourney i will play more 3 woods off the tee

SQ Sumo 9.5* Graphite Design Purple Ice 85x
Pro Speed X 13* Fujikura x stiff
Rescue TP 21* DG X100
r7 TP 4-pw DG X100 RAC 54*
RAC TP 60* Mezza Monza 33"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe i could live without my driver, in the last tourney of the fall the first day i hit driver around 10 or 11 times the second day i hit driver 2 times, i shot 5 shots better without the driver, but the 2 holes i hit driver i birdied (both long par 5's) and in to 18 i flew my 3 wood on the green from 265 so taking the driver out would probably help

SQ Sumo 9.5* Graphite Design Purple Ice 85x
Pro Speed X 13* Fujikura x stiff
Rescue TP 21* DG X100
r7 TP 4-pw DG X100 RAC 54*
RAC TP 60* Mezza Monza 33"

Just like saying. . .

Why don't you drop

both those clubs from your bag - let us all know what happens, yeah? Thanks.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Just like saying. . .

That actually doesn't make sense at all. Driver and putter are on two completely opposite ends of the spectrum for golf. Driver is a club to set yourself for a closer approach to the green. Ideally, anyways. Putter is a scoring club that most golfers use for 50% of their strokes in a round. It's basically a must. But then again I have putter with some success using a 2-iron before.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

That actually doesn't make sense at all. Driver and putter are on two completely opposite ends of the spectrum for golf. Driver is a club to set yourself for a closer approach to the green. Ideally, anyways. Putter is a scoring club that most golfers use for 50% of their strokes in a round. It's basically a must.

FIJI - did you get my PM?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

i could play with out driver, i would just poke a 3 wood out there 275-285 and down the middle, which is what i do alot.

whats in my bag
r7 425 v2 x flex
ss 2.5 stiff
:KZG-forged evolution project x 6.5
cg12 52,56900 form forged 60 bettanardi co3 33.75"pro v1

I didn't read all of the posts, so I am sorry if I am repeating.

My driver never leaves my bag. It's there because someone once told me he would not take me to his course unless I had a driver. (true story)

I hit a straight, consistant 3 iron about 170 yards each time.
If you think about that, even on a 500 yard par 5, I am on the green in 3 and two putting for par.

Why would I pull out my clunky old driver and risk zinging one into the weeds, or water?

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Why don't you drop

That actually doesn't make sense at all. Driver and putter are on two completely opposite ends of the spectrum for golf. Driver is a club to set yourself for a closer approach to the green. Ideally, anyways. Putter is a scoring club that most golfers use for 50% of their strokes in a round. It's basically a must.

Whoa, whoa all I was trying to do was get the point across that "for me, I need a driver as much as I need a putter.", without literally saying that.

I guess I did a lousy job. lol.
In My Grom Stand Bag:

Driver:
Big Bertha 460 Graphite 10°
Woods: Big Bertha 3&5 Graphite
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19° Irons: 06 Big Bertha #4-SWPutter: 35 in. Rossie Mallet *Soon to be Bettinardi C03H 34"Ball: ProV1x

I played for several weeks this fall without taking my driver out of the bag. It really depends on the length of the course and the obstacles whether it is advisable though. The course I was playing is relatively short, so I had no problem reaching greens in regulation, it was just a matter of using a mid iron instead of a wedge for my approach shot.

The course that I played my most recent golf round at is significantly longer with few trees on the side of the fairway, so using a driver was necessary to reach the green in regulation on most of the par 5s and a couple of the 4s.

Now if you are not hitting your diver well at all, then the extra shot you are taking to get to the green using only irons may still be the smartest choice if your driver is going to cost you more shots.

Matt Bolton_______________

my Quest for Extraordinary Golf

In my Bag:TaylorMade TP Red balls 3DX Ironwood hybrids 2 & 4Nakashima NP2 IronsNakashima HTec 460 Driver

Well, it would be a very interesting experience.

I hit my driver around 280-310 consistently.

I hit my 3-Wood about 240-260.

Driver: G10 10.5 Stock Shaft
3 Wood: Taylormade r580XD
Irons: AP2 3-P, Project X 5.5
Wedges: Tour-W 52*, 56* SM, 60* SM
Putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5 34"Ball: ProV1 or ProV1xLow Score:74

Well, it would be a very interesting experience.

Sounds like you could probably get away with it.

In My Grom Stand Bag:

Driver:
Big Bertha 460 Graphite 10°
Woods: Big Bertha 3&5 Graphite
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19° Irons: 06 Big Bertha #4-SWPutter: 35 in. Rossie Mallet *Soon to be Bettinardi C03H 34"Ball: ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!