IGNORED

Cancun

billk86
Note: This thread is 2601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Going to be staying in a small town between Cancun and Playa del Carmen.  Any advice on courses and best place to book would be appreciated.  Golf now doesn't seem to have any decent deals and it is hard to figure which courses are the best to play.  Any help would be appreciated.  thanks!

I will be going to Cancun, first of May.   Play Mayakoba, I haven't played it yet but my fiancé said the course is awesome.  Plus holds PGA tournament there.  Just don't fall into the hole in the ground on 1st hole.

Don't waste your time with TPC Cancun, two years it go it was in awful shape.  Maybe it's better now, but wasn't worth the money.

I did like Riviera Cancun, very nice course.

We are going to play Mayakoba and Moon Spa & Golf this time around.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good info thanks.  I found (what seems like) a pretty good deal on Mayakoba on a site called teebone.com   I think I will try for Riviera Cancun as well and maybe Iberostar Paraiso.  

Cool, what did you get for a price, it's $199 on their website

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Loved Rivera Cancun, probably my favorite in the area.  Myacoba is really great too but really tough, expensive, and slow the two times I've been there.

Played Moon Palace last Christmas and was very underwhelmed.  Nice course (but not knock-your-socks-off) but very expensive and they nickled and dimed you to death.  Just one example... I asked for tees from the starter and he gave me two tees... WTF?!?

Titleist 915 D, 3W, 3H

TaylorMade RocketBladez 4I-AW

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 56 degree SW and 60 degree LW

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance

Bridgestone B330

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2016 at 5:27 PM, brettfan said:

Loved Rivera Cancun, probably my favorite in the area.  Myacoba is really great too but really tough, expensive, and slow the two times I've been there.

Played Moon Palace last Christmas and was very underwhelmed.  Nice course (but not knock-your-socks-off) but very expensive and they nickled and dimed you to death.  Just one example... I asked for tees from the starter and he gave me two tees... WTF?!?

Have you played anywhere else?  I have Mayakoba booked, but changed my mind on Moon Palace after seeing some awful reviews.  plus we have a third day we will play.  I was thinking Pok Ta Pok and maybe Iberostar Cancun since they are fairly close to where I'm staying.

On 2/1/2016 at 8:05 PM, billk86 said:

$159 @ 12pm.

Did you play?

-Jerry

10 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Did you play?

I ended up playing Riviera Cancun twice.  I booked thru teeoff dot com.  Their discount rate was $90 but I was able to use a 20% off coupon for each round ($70!) which included all you can eat and drink and not just on the course.  I went inside for breakfast before the round and then for lunch after.  Pretty good deal.   

The course is great.  Challenging but not crazy hard.  Good playing conditions except for the wind which made both rounds much more difficult.  

Be sure to ask your hotel if they have deals or alliances with any of the golf resorts for better rates.  Not Cancun, but in Maui, my hotel had killer rates at the Wailea courses.  I only played one other than the Wailea Blue and Gold courses because the rates from the hotel were much, MUCH lower than the $200 a round at normal rate.

Dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

7 hours ago, billk86 said:

I ended up playing Riviera Cancun twice.  I booked thru teeoff dot com.  Their discount rate was $90 but I was able to use a 20% off coupon for each round ($70!) which included all you can eat and drink and not just on the course.  I went inside for breakfast before the round and then for lunch after.  Pretty good deal.   

The course is great.  Challenging but not crazy hard.  Good playing conditions except for the wind which made both rounds much more difficult.  

Did the tee off.com rate include transportation? Where did you find the coupon?

-Jerry

We stayed last fall at iberostar Playa del Carmen . Played the course connected with the resort. Nice! Not completely flat. I think it was $75 after 1 pm

12 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Did the tee off.com rate include transportation? Where did you find the coupon?

I think it did depending on which hotel you were staying at. I was at at a private residence and had a car so I didn't need it. 

Tee off sent the coupon upon signing up. I used two emails so I was able to get a second coupon. You can also do an internet search. 

Cool, thanks

-Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Played Iberostar Cancun today, very nice course, greens were extremely slow but in very good shape.  Course was in great condition overall.

Loved the layout of the course, hit the ball well but scored 40-39-79 Blue Tees 71/121 6800 Yds

plus how often do you get to play with Crocodiles?

image.jpeg

-Jerry

• 9 months later...

I just came back from a trip where I played Playa Mujeres Golf Club (www.playamujeres.com.mx/) and Riviera Cancun Golf Club (no website; some info at http://www.nicklaus.com/design/rivieracancun/).

Playa Mujeres is a very nice course.  Using teeoff.com, I was able to get a rate ($95) that was very close to what Secrets resort guests get; they pay no green fees but have to pay a $45 cart fee and $30 premium to play before 1pm (When is "free" golf not even close to free?).

It is very well-maintained, and a fun layout.  I enjoyed the different type of golf from the Northeast, with large green complexes that have a lot of short grass.  I putted a few times from well off the green, and also played a variety of different running shots which is unusual for me.  The greens are also very large.  I had several putts in the 50'+ foot range throughout the day.

I played there two days, and both days were extremely windy.  I had some shots where I had to adjust by three clubs to get the correct distance.

There are a few very pretty holes; and one with a real ocean view:

IMG_0950.JPG

Also had a few crocodile sightings.  This guy swam right towards me as I hit from about 15' away from a water hazard:

IMG_0948a.jpg

Riveria Cancun was actually my favorite course of the two.  Using teeoff.com, I got a rate of less than $70.  It's an all-inclusive property, so it was nice to be able to order food/drinks during and after the round at no cost.  It definitely made it feel more like an "outing" than just a round of golf.  No ocean views on this one, but still a very nice location, and some very well-designed holes.  The greens were very undulating; it made putting interesting.

I'd definitely recommend both these courses to someone visiting Cancun, if you could get similar prices.  At full price, I'd say Riviera Cancun is probably worth the $120 or so they charge (especially as an all-inclusive), but there's no way that Playa Mujeres is worth the $179 you'd pay as a non-resort-guest.

- John

Note: This thread is 2601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!