IGNORED

My Swing (WUTiger)

WUTiger
Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 51 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 24.5
My typical ball flight is: slight draw (intended flight)
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Frequent bad pulls; root cause tied to overswinging, and early hand manipulation - see video, captured by iacas at PGA Show

Videos: 

Edited by iacas
embedded video

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (WUTiger)
  • Administrator

01.thumb.jpg.12f6cfcacc977ac030a851d0b6d02.thumb.jpg.080f750bec0c6bb7dac1b83a26a03.thumb.jpg.42e6c2d6c93e49eab50606e6de204.thumb.jpg.380ed8e96005e5b17a127c848dc

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Couple good videos/drills for you to check out @WUTiger.

Here's a drill I use to get players to feel external rotation of the trail arm on the back swing. #Structure

A video posted by Jeff Smith (@radargolfpro) on

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

How's the work going @WUTiger?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

First of all, it's that common golf problem of what I think I'm doing and what I am actually doing are different things. I can't believe how bad I was overswinging, to the point of being really off balance - my right ankle buckled backward rather than "stepping through."

I've tried the RadarGolf trailing arm drill, and have compared my swing stop-action with Dave and you in the diagonal sweetspot clip. I've done some mirror drills to try to improve A4.

My wife totaled her car last week - she's OK physically but upset - so I've been in non-golf mode so to speak.

Should be in 60s this weekend, so I can get some follow-up shot clips.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 2 weeks later...

https://youtu.be/dGZOWwiQf6U

Here is image from Feb. 21. Front and lead elbows closer to even in height.

I'm still getting a slight hand motion to start my take-away, rather than hip kick. I'm trying to play draw, but hand motion is starting ball just to left of aiming stake, rather than to right as for a draw.

Wife and I are heading to Myrtle Beach for spring break; will have a chance to work on things down there. She can capture some videos of my practice for instant feedback.

5 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Here is image from Feb. 21. Front and lead elbows closer to even in height.

I'm still getting a slight hand motion to start my take-away, rather than hip kick. I'm trying to play draw, but hand motion is starting ball just to left of aiming stake, rather than to right as for a draw.

Wife and I are heading to Myrtle Beach for spring break; will have a chance to work on things down there. She can capture some videos of my practice for instant feedback.

The video is private. Also, post as a plain text and it will imbed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
6 hours ago, WUTiger said:

http://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

6 hours ago, WUTiger said:

I'm trying to play draw, but hand motion is starting ball just to left of aiming stake, rather than to right as for a draw.

John, there's no way you're going to be playing a "good" draw from here:

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

You need to work hard on the elbows at the top and make some big changes here. You can do it, but it's going to be difficult.

Yeah the elbows at the top are important, going to need to make a lot of rehearsal swings and mirror swings where you take it to A4 and "hold it" in the proper position.

Check out my previous post in the thread for drills/feels.

Mike McLoughlin

Here is a reload of my Feb. 21 swing, with YT change to public, and URL as plain text.

Agreed, the elbows are a problem. MV, the diagonal sweetspot and trail arm rotation drills are on tap for this week's practice.

Re-saved vid as Public, and loaded plain-text.

I'm somewhat better, but I'm still having hand pops at top, rather than getting a consistent hip kick to trigger downswing.

MV, definitely need the "A4 and hold" drills, enough to ingrain proper motion. The diagonal sweetspot and trailing arm drills also on for this week.

Shirley and I are headed to Myrtle Beach - I'll have some time to focus on getting it right.

(Sorry... I need to clear out misc "trash" videos that got linked in to swing shot.) 

• Administrator

Poor camera angle and the same swing as always.

Let's see video of you doing the drill properly.

And slow-mo.

8 hours ago, WUTiger said:

MV, definitely need the "A4 and hold" drills, enough to ingrain proper motion. The diagonal sweetspot and trailing arm drills also on for this week.

And like @iacas said, rehearse it slowly.

Mike McLoughlin

Golf is a tough game but it comes down to eliminating your unwanted misses right? You clearly cross the line at the top of your back swing but that really doesn't effect as much as you think. You've played golf for 51 years so you understand what your physically capable of maybe you should try hitting a cut. A pull is you cutting across the ball with a shut face if the face was square it go straighter and if was open it would cut. Simple stepping away from the ball one inch and weaking your grip will fix your faults and your overswing may be needed at your age to get optimal speed. Just saying a conventional swing isn't always ideal for seniors and sometimes our faults becomes our strengths for our body type.

Edited by Mike Boatright

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

Golf is a tough game but it comes down to eliminating your unwanted misses right? You clearly cross the line at the top of your back swing but that really doesn't effect as much as you think. You've played golf for 51 years so you understand what your physically capable of maybe you should try hitting a cut. A pull is you cutting across the ball with a shut face if the face was square it go straighter and if was open it would cut. Simple stepping away from the ball one inch and weaking your grip will fix your faults and your overswing may be needed at your age to get optimal speed. Just saying a conventional swing isn't always ideal for seniors and sometimes our faults becomes our strengths for our body type.

Him going across the line is directly affecting his downswing.

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Him going across the line is directly affecting his downswing.

No doubt that it is however he can still drop it in the slot and hit it straight. Iv'e seen a lot of senior golfers in general they lose flexibility and often compensate by swinging more vertical and across the line at the top often causing slices but the down swing can be timed. Overall I think if he swung on plane his back swing would be very tight and short but would cure his faults so it's a double edge sword.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

No doubt that it is however he can still drop it in the slot and hit it straight. Iv'e seen a lot of senior golfers in general they lose flexibility and often compensate by swinging more vertical and across the line at the top often causing slices but the down swing can be timed. Overall I think if he swung on plane his back swing would be very tight and short but would cure his faults so it's a double edge sword.

I disagree. He's not as inflexible as you think. And "dropping it in the slot" is a bad way to try to swing, almost always.

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!