IGNORED

Help. Too many sets.

CXBOY71
Note: This thread is 2965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Morning all. I play off  a 12 handicap. I keep changing my equipment and it's ruining my golf!! I want to stick to one set but can't decide which ones. My driver and woods/hybrid are fine(G30, jet speed and titliest 910H). Iron sets are switched between Calloway big Bertha 2002 models, Ping Zings (beryllium copper) and Nike slingshots Oss. Calloways are favourite but old, Pings are ok but purchased only because they won't make anymore! Nikes are great to hit but really for beginners? Any ideas? Or new set ?? Thanks guys. 

I would take each set, if possible, to some sort of simulator (preferably a GC2 if you can find one) and test them head to head. 

An example of a head to head comparison between a number of different irons can be found HERE, in the thread where I tested a bunch of different irons before choosing the ones I currently use.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One option is testing the clubs against each other on a simulator.  Another is testing the clubs against each other on a range or on the course.  Essentially select the clubs you hit best (least dispersion) and most consistently.  There are pro's that play SGI irons so unless you need the ability to work the ball, play what gives you your stock shot consistently and accurately all the time.  Do not consider distance as the key.  You can just play a longer iron

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

New irons and wedges, of course.

Get fit for all.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have 6 complete sets and rotate through them all, if that helps your worries any.

The Bertha's have so much offset I would say they are going to be the most difficult to transition out of when the time comes.  The Zings are classic, and if still in nice shape maybe worth mothballing in the attic.  Most people like Zing2's better but I don't think they came in BeCu.

As ugly as they look, everyone seems to find success with the Nike Slingshot OSS.  Super forgiving and nothing too crazy about the weight, length, or offset compared to a "normal" iron.  Swallow your pride and stick with the Slingshots until you can shoot par.

Thanks Tee2Trees!! Your spot on. Calloways were my late fathers , so enjoy hitting them. Just so much offset!! Pings are mint condition, so more of a collectors piece of kit. As for the Slingshots, hit them well , with confidence and know my distances..just the stick I get with them being game improvement clubs. Should I be hitting blades or newer equipment with my handicap?!! Get loads of comments from other players but they fly straight....!!

My pick from those would be the ZINGS. I have one bag that is just a mish-mash of stuff and it has a ZING 5 iron. That is a go-to club.

If you want to play your best and have the coin as Ferris  Bueller would say, then get fitted for a new set, including new wedges. Don't go with any preconceived notions.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

On 2/9/2016 at 8:30 AM, Mr. Desmond said:

New irons and wedges, of course.

Get fit for all.

That would be my recommendation too.

A map of Cyprus shows 10 golf courses. Do you have access of good fitters? I know most European golfers can't just walk down the street to a "Golf Galaxy" type store.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!