IGNORED

New driver, just a shaft fit, or new wedges?

Note: This thread is 2990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

I have $400 of club house credit to spend, and I'd like to spend it soon so I can have whatever I buy all season long.  

I'm looking at 3 options right now: 

1.  A new shaft for my driver fit to my swing.  I have a stock X flex SLDR 430 right now.  I hit it well, but a shaft may help me hit it better. The pro said I would have to wait until May though because they don't keep enough TM shafts on hand.  This option wouldn't use all $400, so I don't know what I'd do with the rest.

2.  A new driver entirely.  I was thinking a G30 or G30 LS tech maybe to help me keep the ball in the fairway.  I hit it far currently, but I'd love to hit more fairways.

3.  A new wedge set.   My SM5 wedges are reasonably new, I got them a couple years ago in the summer, so I don't really need SM6s, but... new clubs are shiny :) 

I have Srixon Z945 blades and a Scotty X5R in the mail and I just got a brand new bag delivered today... (Someone should take away my wallet after 1 AM, I have a problem.)  I have all the balls/gloves I need for the entire season too.  I got them with a good discount through the NCCGA (National Collegiate Club Golf Association) that I am a part of.  So literally the only not new things currently are my SLDR driver, SLDR 3 wood, and my 3 SM5s, all of which were purchased within the last two years.  

What should I do? My credit expires in summer, so I still have some time to sit on it, but like I said, I'd like to spend it now so I can use whatever it is all golf season instead of just in the Fall.

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, Unforgiven93 said:

1.  A new shaft for my driver fit to my swing.  I have a stock X flex SLDR 430 right now.  I hit it well, but a shaft may help me hit it better. The pro said I would have to wait until May though because they don't keep enough TM shafts on hand.  This option wouldn't use all $400, so I don't know what I'd do with the rest.

I doubt it. The 430 is a TP club. That comes with the Fujikura Tour Spec shaft. Your handicap is a +1.6, so you probably have a high clubhead speed. I would say it's probably the clubhead that causes you issues versus the shaft. That club has a much lower MOI than most drivers. This makes it very unforgiving compared to modern standards. 

28 minutes ago, Unforgiven93 said:

2.  A new driver entirely.  I was thinking a G30 or G30 LS tech maybe to help me keep the ball in the fairway.  I hit it far currently, but I'd love to hit more fairways.

This might be a better option than reshafting the SLDR. Since the SLDR most drivers have done well to lower spin but keep MOI high. If you are looking to do anything with the driver I recommend this. The G30 is a fantastic driver. So is the M1 if you want to stick with taylormade. They both have that lower spin profile. 

Note, if you have a high swing speed the odds of hitting the fairway are against you. The further you hit it the more accurate you need to be with the driver to hit the fairway. It's just the sacrifice longer hitters have to deal with. Which is fine, distance is a big plus. ;)

31 minutes ago, Unforgiven93 said:

3.  A new wedge set.   My SM5 wedges are reasonably new, I got them a couple years ago in the summer, so I don't really need SM6s, but... new clubs are shiny :) 

I recommend Edel Wedges. Getting 3 of them might cost you more than $400. Edel wedges offer a great fitting service as well. not sure if your house credit covers Edel. 

32 minutes ago, Unforgiven93 said:

What should I do? My credit expires in summer, so I still have some time to sit on it, but like I said, I'd like to spend it now so I can use whatever it is all golf season instead of just in the Fall.

It's up to you on that. No one can tell you, "GO BUY THIS!". All I can recommend is get fit for what ever you want to buy club-wise. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I doubt it. The 430 is a TP club. That comes with the Fujikura Tour Spec shaft. Your handicap is a +1.6, so you probably have a high clubhead speed. I would say it's probably the clubhead that causes you issues versus the shaft. That club has a much lower MOI than most drivers. This makes it very unforgiving compared to modern standards. 

My SLDR 430 has the Fujikura Speeder 65 X Flex shaft.  That is a tour spec shaft? I didn't realize that.  And yes, my clubhead speed is pretty high.  Probably around 115 on average, although I haven't been clocked in about 3 years.  You don't think I'd get benefit from being fit for a shaft?

7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This might be a better option than reshafting the SLDR. Since the SLDR most drivers have done well to lower spin but keep MOI high. If you are looking to do anything with the driver I recommend this. The G30 is a fantastic driver. So is the M1 if you want to stick with taylormade. They both have that lower spin profile. 

Leaning toward this option currently, because they have the shafts and heads on hand for Ping.  I could wait for the G driver to come out for the price drop of the G30 too. Unless the G is way better than the G30, which I doubt it will be.  If it is, I could just get that instead. 

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

The only way a new shaft would benefit you is if you don't like the shots you're hitting, Whether they're too low, high, or you're hooking/slicing. If you're trying to just hit better shots there's not much a shaft can do that lessons can't.

1 minute ago, Unforgiven93 said:

My SLDR 430 has the Fujikura Speeder 65 X Flex shaft.  That is a tour spec shaft? I didn't realize that.  And yes, my clubhead speed is pretty high.  Probably around 115 on average, although I haven't been clocked in about 3 years.  You don't think I'd get benefit from being fit for a shaft?

Leaning toward this option currently, because they have the shafts and heads on hand for Ping.  I could wait for the G driver to come out for the price drop of the G30 too. Unless the G is way better than the G30, which I doubt it will be.  If it is, I could just get that instead. 

I think the G driver sounds disgusting, but that's just me.

1 minute ago, Unforgiven93 said:

You don't think I'd get benefit from being fit for a shaft?

No I do. It should be a good match for you. I think it's more the clubhead than the shaft. 

2 minutes ago, Unforgiven93 said:

Unless the G is way better than the G30, which I doubt it will be.  If it is, I could just get that instead. 

Their very similar in performance. I would say the G looks better and sounds slightly better. It probably spins a tad less. You probably wouldn't tell much between the two. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Does the pro shop carry any nice rain gear? A good investment if you don't already have some Gore-tex.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

19 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Does the pro shop carry any nice rain gear? A good investment if you don't already have some Gore-tex.

That is a really good idea that I hadn't thought of!  I only have a crappy $30 rain gear set...  

I would suggest going to the nearest master club fitter with trackman that has a Ping/Taylormade fitting center.  I personally like the G30's more than the new G's (I have hit both and currently use the G30 LS Tec & I really don't like the SLDR drivers ;-) ).  If you decide with Ping, I like the Tour 65 shafts more.  If you decide on LS, go with stiff, or regular G30 you can use x-stiff.  But that's what going to the master club fitter would do for you, make sure you are getting something with proper RPM, launch angle, etc..  Once fitted, then order with your pro.  Wedges are important to maintain, for spin, if you play a lot.  You can wear down the grooves even if you keep them clean.  If you don't get new ones this season, you'll most likely need new ones next season.  Best case scenario is get both a new driver and new set of wedges (just stay up past 1am).

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Crazy good idea. Doesn't come with that shiny new excitement but first time you are warm and dry while everyone else is running for the house so worth it. 

Dave :-)

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Do you recommend any particular brand of rain gear?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Do you recommend any particular brand of rain gear?

As long it's Gore-tex or another material with a comparable waterproof rating and allows one to make a free swing it should be good. (Gore-tex is rated at 28,000mm) I have an Adidas Gore-tex jacket that I got a pretty good deal on and it works great.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:42 PM, saevel25 said:

No I do. It should be a good match for you. I think it's more the clubhead than the shaft. 

Their very similar in performance. I would say the G looks better and sounds slightly better. It probably spins a tad less. You probably wouldn't tell much between the two. 

What drivers should I look in to? I swing around 115mph and I've always had difficulty getting the ball up to appropriate launch angle. Currently using an SLDR at 11.5 degrees, with a stock Fujikura Speeder X flex 65g shaft. 

Currently I'm thinking G30 or Cobra Fly-Z+... I base a lot off of the "High Swing Speed" results from this testing website:  http://www.mygolfspy.com/2015-most-wanted-driver-overall-awards/ 

Any opinions on mygolfspy?  Is it a reliable site?  They seem to place a very high significance on distance, which I know according to LSW is the most important thing, but I'm not sure what the balance should be for me specifically.  I hit the ball far and will hit the ball far with any club, is a 8 yard longer on average worth the 4 yard more offline average? I know the further the ball goes the more offline it appears to be because the margin for error is smaller, I think they take that into account on mygolfspy though.

Note: This thread is 2990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!