IGNORED

Hauling your clubs in a extended cab truck

Note: This thread is 3050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently picked up a new truck and do not know how I want to keep my clubs in the cab. At some point I am getting a locking bed cover but until then I am going to keep them inside the cab. I have combed the intraweb for pics or ideas but have not seen anything other than aftermarket bed boxes. If anyone has a fancy set up please post a pic or describe what you have done.

Edited by Valleygolfer

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used a roll-n-lock cover on my Dakota Quad-Cab for a dozen years and loved it.  It was pricey ($1k IIRC), but very much worth it.  http://rollnlock.com/

Not sure really what you're asking, though.  Are you asking for ideas about how to store your clubs IN the cab?  I would think keeping them on the floor behind the front seats should be fine.  I wouldn't leave them in the car if I wasn't going to use them (I try not to unnecessarily invite thieves to break into my car) but that's true regardless of how you keep them.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

On 2/24/2016 at 1:29 PM, k-troop said:

I used a roll-n-lock cover on my Dakota Quad-Cab for a dozen years and loved it.  It was pricey ($1k IIRC), but very much worth it.  http://rollnlock.com/

Not sure really what you're asking, though.  Are you asking for ideas about how to store your clubs IN the cab?  I would think keeping them on the floor behind the front seats should be fine.  I wouldn't leave them in the car if I wasn't going to use them (I try not to unnecessarily invite thieves to break into my car) but that's true regardless of how you keep them.

The rollnlock is the cover I was wanting. Ideally that is the lon plan. The cover is about $1600 for my truck but I am being beat up cash wise right now with licensing and initial purchase that I will have to wait for  a while. I use my clubs so much in the summer that I rarely take them out of the car. I don't usually worry about break ins locally.

The back floor has a hump and would seem to put some pressure on the inside of the bag during transit possibly damaging the inner sleeves. I wondered if anyone has built anything special for hauling and wanted some ideas. I'm thinking of something but not sure how my pull cart fits into the design.

Right now my clubs ride shotgun, as I have a carseat for my daughter in the back, and my bag doesn't fit on the floor without having to scoot the front seats up, which is not an option for me (6'-3").

When she is old enough to not need a permanent car seat anymore, I plan to make a platform that goes over the hump in the center.  I'll make it out of either MDF or plywood and carpet it to blend in.  2x4's on end should have sufficent height to get the platform high enough to clear the hump while resting on the floor of both the driver and passenger sides.

On 2/26/2016 at 9:05 PM, the fish said:

Right now my clubs ride shotgun, as I have a carseat for my daughter in the back, and my bag doesn't fit on the floor without having to scoot the front seats up, which is not an option for me (6'-3").

When she is old enough to not need a permanent car seat anymore, I plan to make a platform that goes over the hump in the center.  I'll make it out of either MDF or plywood and carpet it to blend in.  2x4's on end should have sufficent height to get the platform high enough to clear the hump while resting on the floor of both the driver and passenger sides.

Are you going to remove the back seats?

7 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Are you going to remove the back seats?

No. It folds up, which is plenty out of the way for hauling my bag. I have a Silverado 1500, fwiw.

@Valleygolfer, that depends on how much you use your back seats.  If they are used a lot, then the idea of putting a level raised floor made of say MDF to ensure a level lie for your bag might be a bit of a pain, unless you have shorter people only sitting there.  Otherwise, can you get a hard top canopy that covers the entire back of the cab.  This will be lockable, but the bag will still be visible though, unless you get the totally blacked out kind.  These only work if they are at cab top level and not roof top level.  Good luck with figuring it out though.

The most important thing is to ensure your clubs don't get too heated up day after day sitting in the car

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

6 hours ago, the fish said:

No. It folds up, which is plenty out of the way for hauling my bag. I have a Silverado 1500, fwiw.

I have the same. I was debating a temporary removal of the rear seats. My daughter is 8 and I have not had anyone sit in the back seats yet and not sure I would miss them.

I had an extended cab truck a few years back and kept my clubs in the back with the seat folded up.  I finally made a platform to fit over the hump and it worked well.  I ended up getting an Undercover cover for the truck and kept them in the bed.  Have owned 4 trucks since that time and have had an Undercover for everyone of them.  It keeps the clubs out of sight, which I like better.  No need to tempt a thief.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• 1 month later...

I drive a f250 extended cab,so a little more room in the back seat than a regular half ton. I just lay mine on the back seat. I also keep them in the bed uncovered when more people are riding in the truck or if I know it will not rain and I won't be anywhere someone might be tempted to steal them. I will say though the bed of the truck has not been good for my bag with them sliding around. 

I have decided to go with the Pace Switchblade cover. It is similar to the rollnlock cover but a little less cumbersome. It also costs a lot less.

I love how some people overthink things. If someone breaks into your truck, it's more than likely they are trying to steal your truck, not your clubs!

I have an f150 super cab with the spray in bed liner. I just toss mine in the back under the tonneau cover. They never slide around unless I take a turn fast at higher speeds and my bag is in fantastic shape.

Cleveland Hibore xls tour w/ fujikura gold, stiff
flex
Northwestern - 5 wood
3-9 silverback 845cm
48, 54, 60 (silver scot) DetourBalls WarbirdBag Warbird Hot I want a 1 and 2 hybrid.....any recommendations?

On 5/2/2016 at 9:08 AM, CoachCad8 said:

I drive a f250 extended cab,so a little more room in the back seat than a regular half ton. I just lay mine on the back seat. I also keep them in the bed uncovered when more people are riding in the truck or if I know it will not rain and I won't be anywhere someone might be tempted to steal them. I will say though the bed of the truck has not been good for my bag with them sliding around. 

I have a Bedrug installed on mine. It is like having a big soft trunk.

On 5/6/2016 at 11:53 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

I love how some people overthink things. If someone breaks into your truck, it's more than likely they are trying to steal your truck, not your clubs!

Trucks are not as easy to steal as a smash and grab.

I carry mine in the bed of my truck. It's been just fine for the most part. Of course there have been a couple of times when having that "brain fart" attack, I pulled in to a drive through car wash. Both times it happened on my way to the course. :whistle:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 5/9/2016 at 10:06 AM, Valleygolfer said:

I have a Bedrug installed on mine. It is like having a big soft trunk.

Trucks are not as easy to steal as a smash and grab.

Oh, please! Smash and grabs are about power tools, hand tools, chain saws, stuff like that. How much of a "black market" is there for golf clubs?!

7 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Oh, please! Smash and grabs are about power tools, hand tools, chain saws, stuff like that. How much of a "black market" is there for golf clubs?!

Meth heads will steal anything for dough. Here is one thread on it:

• 3 weeks later...

I am really enjoying my set up. I whole heartedly recommend the the switchblade/bedrug combo. Anyone who sees it feels the the same. I am sure that other rolling covers work to but man is this deal slick. I always have my clubs with me and it is like a big golf locker in the bed of my truck now. If anyone cares I can post some images or video of it.

Note: This thread is 3050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!