IGNORED

Wedge help

Note: This thread is 2973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Could anyone please help me with a proper wedge degree selection?  I am looking for something I can hit a little more full with around 50 yards instead of relying on a 1/2 to 3/4 swing. My current wedges are a nike vrsx pw (44) aw (48) sw (54). I was thinking of a 60 or 58 not sure what to go with. Thanks for any and all feedback. 

Driver - covert 2.0 (9.5) Woods - covert 2.0 (3/5) Hybrids - covert 2.0 (3/4) Irons - vrs-x (5/SW) Putter - :odyssey: metal X (33")

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

Could anyone please help me with a proper wedge degree selection?  I am looking for something I can hit a little more full with around 50 yards instead of relying on a 1/2 to 3/4 swing. My current wedges are a nike vrsx pw (44) aw (48) sw (54). I was thinking of a 60 or 58 not sure what to go with. Thanks for any and all feedback. 

If you want to add a wedge to that set up, I would go with a 58. It is versatile as both a lob and short game wedge and will work out of the sand when you really need height. It may go farther than the 50 yards you are looking for in a full swing though depending on how far you hit the 54.

That being said, keep working on the 1/2 and 3/4 swings. Once you get the technique down, those will be far more accurate than a full swing with a higher lofted club. The key is too swing your normal full swing speed with only a short backswing. Also, play with ball position to vary trajectory. Because your feet are close together, moving forward or back a ball width can really change the height of the shot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

@boogielicious @ShotShySheriff Sorry guys I worded that wrong. I am looking to hit about a 3/4 swing to get that distance. My current distance is 100-105 (54) 115-120 (48) 125-130 (44) full swings. Not sure about my club speed.  @vangator I kind of like that 73 degree lol. 

Driver - covert 2.0 (9.5) Woods - covert 2.0 (3/5) Hybrids - covert 2.0 (3/4) Irons - vrs-x (5/SW) Putter - :odyssey: metal X (33")

If you are looking to hit 50 yrds with a 3/4 swing you are going to have to go super low. Assuming you are launching your 54 at around 35 ish degrees and with 8000 spin then your ball speed is around 85mph.

Id hazard a guess that your ball speed for 64 degree would be around 75mph. Stick that with say 9000 spin and a launch angle of around 39 degree then your full carry would be around 85 yrds with a full swing. A 3/4 swing would still be too much for a 64 degree.

73 degree by the way, lets say launch angle around 41, spin around 9500, ball speed around 58mph, full carry would be 73 yards, so 3/4 wouldnt massively be off 50 ish yards, but still over. But you should be able to work it out based on knowing your 3/4 carry of the clubs you currently have. That or go and test some in a shop. :)

I play with 4 wedges.  Iron set has 45 and 50 degree PW and gap wedge.  I also carry a 54 and 58 degree wedges.  The yardages with the wedges are 110, 100, 90 and 80 respectively.  Anything inside 80 and the 58 degree is my 'go-to' wedge and shorten the swing to gauge distance.  Greenside rough and bunker shots the 58 degree is used almost exclusively. Plus, I can turn the 58 into a 64 degree wedge by open up the blade.  I really don't see much need for a really high-loft wedge that full-on only goes 50-60 yards.

What I DO try to do is keep myself away from the 30-60 yard 'tweener' shots because they are difficult to hit without practicing them regularly.

Longer, flat pitch shots I'll hit with PW down to 8 iron depending on lie and rollout area.  Lot's of shots needed for that 100 yards and closer real estate.

Edited by dave s

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I am pretty decent around the 50/60 yrd with my 54 I just want to be a little more aggressive and hit a higher soft shot. I have been looking at the Callaway mack daddy PM in 58/60 with a 10 bounce and the Cleveland 588. I will just have to go test them to see what results I get. Thanks again it is much appreciated. 

I would go with the 58, because my half swing of my 56 is around 70-75 yards normally. I would either go with a Titleist Vokey, Mizuno MP-T5 or Cleveland 588 because those three companies are iron and wage companies, at least somewhat.

Austin Sachs - Mid-level Amateur in the Eastern United States

WITB: Titleist 915 D3, Cleveland 588 3 Wood, Nike Covert Tour Hybrid, Mizuno MP-4 4-PW, Mizuno MP-T4 52, 56, 60 degree, Taylormade White Smoke Putter

5 hours ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

@boogielicious @ShotShySheriff Sorry guys I worded that wrong. I am looking to hit about a 3/4 swing to get that distance. My current distance is 100-105 (54) 115-120 (48) 125-130 (44) full swings. Not sure about my club speed.  @vangator I kind of like that 73 degree lol. 

3/4 swing from 50 yards? Hmmm... good question... with your 54° going 100-105 with a full swing, 3/4 would be about 90, 1/2 about 75-80, So in order to get a 3/4 swing wedge 50 yards, you'd need a full swing club that goes 60-65... 

Personally, 50 yards is one of the toughest if not the toughest partial full swing motion shot in golf...

I think you would be served well with a 58° wedge, and working on dialing down your distances.

If I am 50 yards from the stick, i sometimes will hit a chippy 9i other times I will hit a 54° pitch shot, some times its a waist high to waist high 58°... it depends on the situation.

Edited by onthehunt526
put text in quote

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

6 hours ago, Vinchenzo561 said:

I think I'd like it a lot too.  They were selling for a little over $100 when I checked last year.  I have a 68* wedge, but it doesn't have any bounce.  I'd like a club with some bounce for those pitch shots.  The 68* I use for chip shots where I want little roll.  However, it is risky to hit a wedge very far without any bounce.  You are asking for chunk shots when they dig in.

I also saw an 80* wedge on some site a while ago as well.  That or the 73* might be just the thing for the shot for some of those awkward lies. 

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. I made a list of wedges I will be trying out this weekend the list is.

Titleist vokey sm5, Callaway mack daddy phil Mickelson, Cleveland 588 rxt 2.0, nike vr forged and the Mizuno mp-t5.

If there are any others you would suggest I test please let me know.  Thanks again everyone. 

If you get a chance, check out the Ben Hogan wedges. Super sexy and interesting design. I'd love to try them out but have yet to see them in a store. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well fella's I have found the wedge for me today. I went to the local store and hit 4 out of the 5 on my list. I walked out the door with one that was not on my list here it is.IMG_3206.thumb.JPG.d23389ed999470fae62cc

I did start out with the 58 but it went a little further than I preferred. Here is a look at my stats I got some major spin using a callaway chrome soft. Aim was a little off but not too much a few more range session and this baby will be dialed in.IMG_3205-1.thumb.JPG.654bdc75c6819796887

On February 22, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Vinchenzo561 said:

My vote would be a 58. Extremely versatile club and will be perfect for what you are after. 

I like the looks.  Plus the milled face gets a little more bite.

Note: This thread is 2973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!