IGNORED

Shaft cutting/clubmaking question

catfell
Note: This thread is 6016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

If I currently choke down half an inch on all my clubs because I need shorter shafts, have I already lightened the swingweight because I am holding the club further down the shaft?

If I cut the shafts down half an inch, regrip and hold the clubs without choking down a half inch, will the clubs still be the same swingweight as when they were a half inch longer and I was choking down my grip?

My head tells me it should be very similar, but I'm no clubmaker/clubfitter.

Thanks in advance,

catfell
In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T 10.5º
3-Wood: Titleist 904F 15º
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

Bump.

C'mon sandtrappers, I know you're out there, please help me out.

-catfell
In My Bag:

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Hi all,

How old & how tall are you? To be precise, measure the length from your wrist to the floor with shoes you normally wear on golf course.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

If I currently choke down half an inch on all my clubs because I need shorter shafts, have I already lightened the swingweight because I am holding the club further down the shaft?

No because the total weight is still the same

If I cut the shafts down half an inch, regrip and hold the clubs without choking down a half inch, will the clubs still be the same swingweight as when they were a half inch longer and I was choking down my grip?

No, now you will have changed the swingweight.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, if you cut the shafts down, they will play stiffer than they do now.
You could also lose some distance from the shorter shaft.

Good Luck!

Randell L. Vansant, PGA
Assistant Professional
Mizuno Brand Ambassador
Spokane Country Club, Spokane, WA
Mail to RandellIn My Bag:Callaway Fusion FT-5 (Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3)Titleist 909 F2 13.5 (Diamana Blue Board)Mizuno CLK 20 Degree Hybrid (Aldila NV Hybrid)Mizuno MP-57 Irons, 4-PW...

• Administrator
No because the total weight is still the same.

I agree, but the

effective swingweight will go down, yes. It'll FEEL like it's a lower swingweight. But it won't be, of course, because swingweight doesn't account for where you grip the club.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

how does cutting the butt end of the shaft change the flex?
IowaChop WITB
Driver:
Hyper X 9*
Fairway Metals:
Big Bertha (2004) 15*, 19*Hybrid:Big Bertha Heavenwood 23*Irons: 4-6 710 CB, 7-PW 710 MBWedges:655TM Fluid Forged Wedge (55/11*) CG 12 DSG 60/3*Putter: Tour Platinum 7801Ball: TP Black LDP
"Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll...

how does cutting the butt end of the shaft change the flex?

IowaChop,

Butt trimming a shaft does not change dynamic flex. However, you are swinging a shorter lever, and as such it will play slightly stiffer. How much depends on the shaft and how much trimming is done. Also, if weight is added to the tip or club to compensate for lost swing weight, the club will actually play softer than it did before.

How would you fit someone who needs the shafts to be a half-inch shorter but still retain the original swing weight and flex?

Btw, my wrist to floor measurement is 32.5 inches. With golf shoes on is approx. 33-33.5 inches. Online fitting suggests me to play clubs with half-inch shorter shaft and probably 2 deg flatter lie angle. Any insights?
What's in the bag:

How would you fit someone who needs the shafts to be a half-inch shorter but still retain the original swing weight and flex?

fusioncal,

This is easier to do with parallel tip shafts since you can decide the frequency slope and length with trimming. However, keep in mind that even adding an eight gram tip weight (the heavies I would add) only changes flex by 1/8 to a 1/4 of a flex (on the rifle scale), so the difference is negligible with taper tip shafts. As far as fitting, wrist to floor is only a mediocre starting point, I always fit with dynamic fitting that way the entire ball flight and contact are evident. Get fit dynamically, chances are good you won't need a shorter than average shaft.

fusioncal,

I see. The thing is I just bought a brand new & uncut set of 3-PW TT TC S3 taper tip shafts for my current irons and I kind of wanting to know what issues I should take note on before the re-shafting process. Dynamic fitting - check!

Thanks!
What's in the bag:

Great advise Gas_can!

Static fittings can only approximate what should work/fit.

Fusioncal, after going to my friendly local clubfitter and getting a dynamic fitting, turns out I do not need to change my lies, but I did end up shortening all my clubs by 1/2 an inch. (Except my putter ;) )

BTW, I'm 5'5" with a 32.5" wrist to floor.

My clubs do feel a teeny bit lighter, but after a Thanksgiving holiday on the range and 35 holes of play, I really don't notice the difference and still love my sticks.

And I have not lost any distance since cutting down, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was always chocking down a half inch before I cut down the shafts, so my effective club length hasn't changed.

The biggest difference for me has been regripping with the proper sized grips. I don't hold the club as tightly, and it's much easier to swing without tension.

-catfell
In My Bag:

Great advise Gas_can!

How does it feel having half-inch shorter shaft in terms of the flex? Does it play a bit stiffer or more flexible?

Right now my irons set is in the process of re-shafting. I dropped them off at a local shop 2 days ago. The fitter told me that I should have the shafts cut half-inch shorter, but I insisted having the standard length. The reason is that I'd like to try them out first before I cut anything short. I have a question for clubmakers/fitters here. What is the reason for someone to use shorter shaft? Perhaps accuracy problem or...? Any inputs are greatly appreciated.
What's in the bag:

As far as I can tell, the shafts feel about the same.

I couldn't tell if my carry distance has changed since the cutting, because with the change in weather and temperature the air is more dense and everything is flying shorter than in the summer.

The clubfitter/clubmakers out there should know for sure, but with the rudimentary physics that I know, I believe since I was choking down half an inch before cutting down the clubs, they should play to the same relative stiffness as after cutting them down and gripping without choking down.

Like with my hockey sticks, when taking a face-off, by gripping the stick lower (closer to the blade) the stick flexes less. If I grip the stick higher, the stick flexes more since I'm using a longer lever.

Hope this helps,

catfell
In My Bag:

If you cut an iron down by a half inch it will end up somewhere in the 3-4 SW points lower than it started. You can get it back to where it was by adding 6-8 grams of weight in the tip/clubhead area. Assuming that you trimmed from the butt end of the club, the club will now play slight more flexible than it did before - not a full flex but something that SOME golfers might notice.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Note: This thread is 6016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!