IGNORED

My Swing (Klossy)

klossy
Note: This thread is 3040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 11 months
My current handicap index or average score is: 101
My typical ball flight is: High Fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: High Fade, Fat Shots, Shanks

Videos: 

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/noMyANFm?e=5552281

Hey all.  This is an afterthought, so I don't have a face-on view of the swing yet.  The below swing is pretty ugly, so beware.  On this particular day, I felt as if I was rushing my hands to impact'.  There are days where I have solid contact and have a high ball flight, with a slight (2-5 yd) fade, and I feel as if I only take a partial backswing and my hands are forward at impact. 

I'm planning to schedule lessons with a local pro in my area (he does do video analysis, but I'd love any drills or tips I can work on in the meantime.

I play used Adams Idea irons, standard flex, an Adams 16 degree fairway wood, and a TM 9.5 580 driver.

Thanks!

-Klossy

WITB:
TM R580 9.5* Driver /  Adams Tight Lies 16* FW /  Adams 9031 18* 3H / Adams A7 4H 22* / Adams Super S 5-PW / Adams CB3 GW 49* / Pinemeadow AW 52* / Vokey SW 56* / Ping Pal Putter

11 hours ago, klossy said:

I've been Playing Golf for: 11 months
My current handicap index or average score is: 101
My typical ball flight is: High Fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: High Fade, Fat Shots, Shanks

Videos: 

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/noMyANFm?e=5552281

Hey all.  This is an afterthought, so I don't have a face-on view of the swing yet.  The below swing is pretty ugly, so beware.  On this particular day, I felt as if I was rushing my hands to impact'.  There are days where I have solid contact and have a high ball flight, with a slight (2-5 yd) fade, and I feel as if I only take a partial backswing and my hands are forward at impact. 

I'm planning to schedule lessons with a local pro in my area (he does do video analysis, but I'd love any drills or tips I can work on in the meantime.

I play used Adams Idea irons, standard flex, an Adams 16 degree fairway wood, and a TM 9.5 580 driver.

Thanks!

-Klossy

Please post these videos to Youtube and then you can copy the url and embed them right in your thread. Makes it easier. I usually upload to Youtube and list the video as unlisted.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Learning how to avoid a steep transition from A4 in your case would be a good thing to work on, preferably in slow motion (and often with a mirror/camera). Gotta come from the inside!

ott.pnginside.png

Edited by bm85

Focus on more fluidity with your swing, you're a little "herky jerky" on the way down.

You need to come at the ball more from an inside angle.  Think in-to-out.  I had this issue for awhile and what I did to fix is before each swing, do a couple of round about "baseball" swings to get you used to swinging that rounder in-to-out swing.

That makes sense now - explaining how ball flight is typically a fade with the irons.

Any tips or advice related to distance away from the ball to help fix this?  When I hit my driver or fairway wood, I feel as if I'm standing further from the ball than normal, with my arms extended in front of me more.  This seems to help my brain signal my arms to swing through (in-to-out) and stop coming across the ball.

WITB:
TM R580 9.5* Driver /  Adams Tight Lies 16* FW /  Adams 9031 18* 3H / Adams A7 4H 22* / Adams Super S 5-PW / Adams CB3 GW 49* / Pinemeadow AW 52* / Vokey SW 56* / Ping Pal Putter

2 hours ago, klossy said:

I feel as if I'm standing further from the ball than normal, with my arms extended in front of me more.

Why? Strive to feel comfortable, and familiar over the ball with every club.

The club goes back, up, and in. Then down, out, and forward. You are swinging down, in, and forward. This is a much bigger problem.

This video helped me to start fixing it; the roof of the house analogy is brilliant imo. It contains some tips/drills, but also introduces one of the 5keys, which you should familiarize yourself with. They have helped me tremendously. Also, post a face on video when you get the chance.

If you continue to struggle, browse the rest of the forums, there is plenty of solid instructional content here. Also join in!

On 4/27/2016 at 6:03 PM, bm85 said:

Why? Strive to feel comfortable, and familiar over the ball with every club.

The club goes back, up, and in. Then down, out, and forward. You are swinging down, in, and forward. This is a much bigger problem.

This video helped me to start fixing it; the roof of the house analogy is brilliant imo. It contains some tips/drills, but also introduces one of the 5keys, which you should familiarize yourself with. They have helped me tremendously. Also, post a face on video when you get the chance.

If you continue to struggle, browse the rest of the forums, there is plenty of solid instructional content here. Also join in!

That video makes alot of sense - it's admittedly difficult to tell me brain to swing 'out' (unless I'm trying to hit a hook around some trees) like shown in the video.  It makes sense to my eyes to 'swing alot of the desired ball direction path', but I can see that that's not a sustainable way to consistently strike the golf ball.

Should the golf swing feel more 'relaxed' when swinging on a diagonal plane?  I took a couple baseball style swings with the club, and it felt much smoother than my typical golf swing.  Any thoughts? 

WITB:

UPDATED:

Here is a link to a face on view.  I realized that I move my head way too much.  I can make good contact about 50% of the time, especially with the shorter clubs.  As the clubs get longer, 6 iron and up, it's more difficult to maintain consistency.

Do you guys know of any drills to practice keeping the head still during the swing?

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/SNpPzSNM?e=5686742

WITB:

11 hours ago, klossy said:

UPDATED:

Here is a link to a face on view.  I realized that I move my head way too much.  I can make good contact about 50% of the time, especially with the shorter clubs.  As the clubs get longer, 6 iron and up, it's more difficult to maintain consistency.

Do you guys know of any drills to practice keeping the head still during the swing?

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/SNpPzSNM?e=5686742

There are a bunch of steady head drills in this thread. Key #1.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 5 weeks later...
(edited)

Okay. Quick update.  I took my first golf lesson with a local instructor, whom I was recommended to by several low handicap players.

I embedded two videos below.  The first was taken by my coach during the lesson, and the second was several days later, practicing the new grip and downswing at a local range.

What I'm realizing is that although it doesn't feel like it, I'm coming over the top, and this initiates during the start of my downswing.  It doesn't help that my right elbow tends to flare out, making it easier to start the downswing with my arms vs. the lower body.

Have any of you found success using the 'glove under the armpit' drill?

During lesson [9 iron]:

After lesson [56* Wedge]:

I know I'm still coming over the top, from the outside, but I'm seeking to tip specific training drills to 'teach' my body a new club path, rather than trying to tell my body to act a way that it hasn't learned yet?

Edited by klossy

WITB:

Note: This thread is 3040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!