IGNORED

I really need help, please read ans answer me!

FL_golfr
Note: This thread is 6016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Guys,

I am new to this group and I would really appreciate feedback to my problem. Ok, here I go.

I have been looking for a new set of irons for several months and, since X-mas is fat approaching I figure it is a great time to have my Fiancee get them for me. She has already agreed to do so and she is awaiting my final decesion and specs. I have tried a multitude of clubs from Adams to Yonex and, everything in between. I started golfing a year ago and, i have progressed rapidly from being a gross player hacking up the course to blasting the pants off of people I am playing with who have been playing for years. I currently own a set of Callaway 2006 Big Bertha's and, they are so big and ugly that I find it hard to even look at them anymore. I also own a set of Mizzy MP-30's that I got from a neighbor and had them bent 2* up. After playing with them, I cant seem to play correctly with the Big berthas anymore is that normal? Anyway, I have been fit fo MP-57's and seversl other brands including the Ping I10's "Green". The one thing I can not figure out is should I really be 2* upright or should I be flat considering i am only 5'7" with 32" arm distance. I do have a very upright steep swing. Also, I have a problem getting the ball to the height I like it to be. I have been hitting them too low and then the ball will roll forever. I want more height on the ball. I had an injury in the military and it does have an effect on my swing speed. I swing about 80- 82 MPH. So, R flex. I have recently tried the Ping G 10, Srixon I-701, TM R7, and honestly I think that the TM R7 R flex steel T step 90 shaft has been the easiest club to hit with a good flight and, solid everything. I would like a second opinion though. Even though you guys can't see my swing Etc... I am sure that some good advice will come. i did like the Srixon but, it had a 6.0 Project X shaft "quite stiff" As, i said I want a good club that does not look like a garden tool "Big Bertha,TM Burner XD, Etc.." I like a thinner top line and something that looks good at address. Thanks in advance.

-A desperate golfr

In My Bag: Callaway Birdies for the brave Org.14 Camo Cart bag
Driver:Ping Rapture V2 w BB R flex, Calaway Tour Diablo with Voodoo R flex
3-Wood:Tour Edge CB2 3 Wood w/ UST v2 75 fairway shaft
Hybrid: Mizuno MX 700 20*, 23* MR Javolyn Stiff
Irons: Mizuno MP 200's S300' shafts Wedges: Mizuno MP-T...

Congratulations on progressing so swiftly. Hopefully, you've been fitted properly. Your static measurements indicate than you are smack in the middle of Ping's new purple colour code (1.5° flat), but there are the dynamic considerations.
It can't hurt to get a second opinion for fitting.

I purchased the i10 irons after trying numerous irons. My swing speed with driver matches yours. I had less success with the stronger lofted irons such as the R7 and Cobra FP. With my moderate swing speed, perhaps with the i10s, height and distance were easier to obtain. Mizuno, for additional feel, makes great irons. Playing with the BB, I'm sure that you've hit the X-20 (Tour).

Ultimately, the club that you can hit the best the most often is what you should go with.

Being that you have height issues, I would maybe look at lightweight graphite shafts with low kickpoints. A kickpoint is where the shaft does most of its bending durign the swing, essentially. The lower the kickpoint, the higher it can help you hit the ball.

As for lie angle, height, swing, and arm length all have something to do with it. Mostly, though, it is swing.

Lie angle can change over time is your swing changes, but if you were fit to a specific lie angle, I would trust it. As a fitter myself, I have noticed the varied lie angles you can get with players.

I always check my lie angles a couple times per year. If they are off by lot, i have the clubs bent. But, for the most part, they are pretty consistent.

As for the iron head, the MP-57 is in my bag, and I love them. You have to balance look, feel, and performance. Ping's are a great choice as well.

Another brand to try is cobra. They have some irons that look great, but play really easy.

Don't hesitate to try lots of clubs, and get fit for them before you buy.

Hope this helps!

Randell L. Vansant, PGA
Assistant Professional
Mizuno Brand Ambassador
Spokane Country Club, Spokane, WA
Mail to RandellIn My Bag:Callaway Fusion FT-5 (Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3)Titleist 909 F2 13.5 (Diamana Blue Board)Mizuno CLK 20 Degree Hybrid (Aldila NV Hybrid)Mizuno MP-57 Irons, 4-PW...

I don't know that we can necessarily give you the right answer. You need to hit as many different clubs as possible and then get fitted by a professional. I just got my G10 irons and had a lot of fun looking for the right clubs and getting fitted for them.

Take your time and have fun, it's worth it.

In my C-130 bag:

Driver: G10 10.5*
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: G10 steel AWT shafts, silver dot, +1" (3-SW)Wedge: cg12 58*Putters: Squareback 2, California Coronado Low score (18 holes): 90Low score (9 holes): 42

Please give me some feedback on the I-701's because, I was hitting them really well today. I was also demoing a mixed set of Ping G10, I10 and Raptures. I liked them all. I liked the look of the i 10 the best but I hit the g10 much better,further, than I did the I10. I liked the rapture however it is just too big looking and is just overall not for me. I just want to see what the general thought is between Srixon I-701 or Ping G10's ??

In My Bag: Callaway Birdies for the brave Org.14 Camo Cart bag
Driver:Ping Rapture V2 w BB R flex, Calaway Tour Diablo with Voodoo R flex
3-Wood:Tour Edge CB2 3 Wood w/ UST v2 75 fairway shaft
Hybrid: Mizuno MX 700 20*, 23* MR Javolyn Stiff
Irons: Mizuno MP 200's S300' shafts Wedges: Mizuno MP-T...

Hi Guys,

You answered your question about the upright measurement. I'm 5'10" (also not very tall) my clubs are fitted to 2* up too. About hitting the ball higher, As odd is this may sound, when I try to hit a high shot I focus a lot of my grip onto the pinky, ring and middle fingers on my left hand. Dunno why, but it works (for me). And lastly, it sounds like you've done far more research than most about what clubs fit you the best. Go with your instinct. two sets I don't see mentioned that I would recommend you look at would be Ping S58/S59, or Hogan Apex Plus.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Please give me some feedback on the I-701's because, I was hitting them really well today. I was also demoing a mixed set of Ping G10, I10 and Raptures. I liked them all. I liked the look of the i 10 the best but I hit the g10 much better,further, than I did the I10. I liked the rapture however it is just too big looking and is just overall not for me. I just want to see what the general thought is between Srixon I-701 or Ping G10's ??

I-701 is a really great club. It is not nearly as forgiving as the G10s though.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

If you were worried about the height you are hitting the ball, try some more flexible and easier tip shafts. The project x are the opposite of what you want if you need to launch it higher.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I have been looking for a new set of irons for several months and, since X-mas is fat approaching I figure it is a great time to have my Fiancee get them for me. She has already agreed to do so and she is awaiting my final decesion and specs.

She's definitely a keeper. It's hard enough to even find a mate that supports your passions let alone someone that's willing to help finance it. Get her to the alter quickly

I currently own a set of Callaway 2006 Big Bertha's and, they are so big and ugly that I find it hard to even look at them anymore. I also own a set of Mizzy MP-30's that I got from a neighbor and had them bent 2* up. After playing with them, I cant seem to play correctly with the Big berthas anymore is that normal?

I think this really depends on what you mean by "can't seem to play correctly". Unless the specs of the BB are totally wrong for your swing, then no, there's nothing physically preventing you from playing each set of clubs. In fact, all things being equal, the BB will probably be easier to play with due to their game-improving features over the MP-30. Clubs all do the same thing; they get the ball from point A to point B.

However, if by that statement you mean that the esthetics of the BB no longer inspire confidence in you, then, yes, it is normal. If the appearance of the club doesn't appeal to you, then it could affect your mental approach, which can have dire consequences to your overall game. Manufacturers know this too. That's why many companies spend quite a bit of their R&D; money on the esthetics of their clubs. One of my golfing buds has this motto: "Look good, play good." There seems to be a measure of truth to this pertaining to the appearance of golfers and the equipment they chose.
Anyway, I have been fit fo MP-57's and seversl other brands including the Ping I10's "Green". The one thing I can not figure out is should I really be 2* upright or should I be flat considering i am only 5'7" with 32" arm distance. I do have a very upright steep swing. Also, I have a problem getting the ball to the height I like it to be. I have been hitting them too low and then the ball will roll forever. I want more height on the ball.

Lie angles can vary between different manufacturers. You could be 2* with brand A and 1* with brand B. Also, the idiosyncracies of your swing could vary slightly day to day. I would suggest that you have your swing looked at by a trained pro. You're at the point where your swing is starting to take shape (repetitive), so having a pro look you over IMO would only be helpful to ensure that you don't get into some bad habits. Simply take a 30 minute lesson (it shouldn't cost more than about $50 to $75) from your local PGA instructor.

For example, about four years ago, I was looking to buy new irons. However, I've always had a problem with overswinging. This overswinging caused me to have a over-the-top move that made my swing plane very steep. I went to a fitting and I needed a 66* lie angle on my 6 iron. The fitter told me that I was at the maximum manufacturers would allow for upright lie angle. I opted to delay my purchase for a while to work on my swing. I took a lesson and worked on my swing for about a month or so. When I went back to the fitter, my lie angle need changed to 62*. As far as not getting enough height on your shots, that usually means that the shaft you are using is too stiff. However, there are other variables to consider as well as they can contribute to a too low ball flight. If your swing plane is too steep, it can be caused by swing flaw (another reason to have your swing looked at by a pro). Sensing that you will hit the ground hard, you subconsciously pull up with your arms right before impact causing you to "thin" your shots slightly. The results are shots that don't get airborne well but run a long way. The reason I know this is because it used to happen to me. My instructor discovered it by video taping my swing and playing it back in slow motion. Good luck and welcome to the wacky world of golf. DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Unless you've got pretty good lag in your swing (not the case for most golfers and it probably isn't in your case either), it is hard to get much of a change in trajectory with shaft changes.

If you want more height I would suggest finding the deepest cavity back with lowest center of gravity that you can hit (be sure they fit you). And the answer may well be a set of clubs with hybrid irons such as the Adams "Boxer technology" or Cobra Transitions.

IMHO the best answer is a custom club builder to build you a custom set of Wishons (my strong preference) or other quality component irons. It won't cost more - might cost less.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

as every one has said the best thing is to try lots of clubs with different shafts and get fitted, try to narrow it down to 3 clubs you like, but i would also go onto the range or if possible on your course than hitting into a net so you can see the ball flight

Note: This thread is 6016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!