IGNORED

Exercising drives down risk for 13 cancers, research shows [Baltimore Sun]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This has been said before, the benefits of exercise, but anything I can use to get more motivation, I will use. Where's my motivation? WHERE'S MY MOTIVATION? WHERE'S MY MOTIVATION? :-D

In addition to protecting hearts, preserving memory and lifting moods, exercise is a powerful cancer-preventive, says new research. Physical activity worked to drive down rates of a broad array of cancers even among smokers, former smokers, and the overweight and obese.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/la-sci-sn-exercising-cancer-20160516-story.html

Here's something related about sitting:

Dr. David Alter, senior scientist at the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and a senior author of the paper, did offer some tips on ways to limit sitting and its impact. He recommends:

• While working at a desk, be sure to get up for one to three minutes every half-hour or so and move around.
  • While watching TV, stand or exercise during the advertisements (and no, don't go stand at the open fridge or the pantry).
  • Monitor how much you sit, and try to reduce it by realistic increments every week. You should aim for two to three fewer sedentary hours in a 12-hour day. A wearable monitor can help establish a baseline and assess progress toward a goal.
  • Know that getting regular exercise is good for you regardless of what you do for the rest of the day: It will not only help reduce your sedentary time, it should lower your risk of illness and improve your survival prospects if you have no alternative to logging long hours in a chair.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-sitting-health-20150119-story.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is such an important topic. Lack of physical movement is deadly in many ways. Thanks for sharing this. 

I have a standing desk at work, which I love. I also hit the gym 4-5 times per week. I put my physical health at the top of my priority list because without it nothing else matters. 

• Upvote 1

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!