IGNORED

Difference in These Putters Besides Price?

Note: This thread is 2848 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since Jordan Speith's putting was instrumental in his win yesterday I'm posting a pic of my $2 garage sale cheapo Knight putter which looks much in shape and design like Speith's expensive Scotty Cameron 009 putter. I saw a putter like Speith's on ebay with an opening bid of $3,499.00.. The only noticeable difference as far as I can see is the price. While Jordan made some great putts yesterday with his putter, likewise I made some of the same sort of putts during my last round from about the same distances or longer as Jordan did with my cheapo putter. I just don't get what the big hoopla is over expensive putters.

IMG_0907.JPGspeith putter.jpg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Things are worth what someone will pay for it.

You really see no difference between your putter and the one on eBay besides the price? Really?

rothko.jpg

That painting sold for $87,000,000.

Things are worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Things are worth what someone will pay for it.

You really see no difference between your putter and the one on eBay besides the price?

Honestly, I don't see any difference. If you do would you point the difference out. Both putters look alike in style, shape and design to me.

8 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Since Jordan Speith's putting was instrumental in his win yesterday I'm posting a pic of my $2 garage sale cheapo Knight putter which looks much in shape and design like Speith's expensive Scotty Cameron 009 putter. I saw a putter like Speith's on ebay with an opening bid of $3,499.00.. The only noticeable difference as far as I can see is the price. While Jordan made some great putts yesterday with his putter, likewise I made some of the same sort of putts during my last round from about the same distances or longer as Jordan did with my cheapo putter. I just don't get what the big hoopla is over expensive putters.

IMG_0907.JPGspeith putter.jpg

3 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Honestly, I don't see any difference. If you do would you point the difference out. Both putters look alike in style, shape and design to me.

You should tell these people. . .

http://www.greatestcollectibles.com/100-expensive-collectibles/

That and the Scotty would possibly putt a lot better than the cheapo thing you bought.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• iacas changed the title to Difference in These Putters Besides Price?
1 minute ago, Lihu said:

You should tell these people. . .

http://www.greatestcollectibles.com/100-expensive-collectibles/

That and the Scotty would probably putt a lot better than the cheapo thing you bought.

Look at both putters.

Now other than price, tell me what noticeable differences do you see

5 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Look at both putters.

It's possibly better materials. The feel off the face might be a lot better and more consistent. If you miss the sweet spot, I'm sure your putter would feel a lot worse. EDIT: Actually, even if you hit the sweet spot, it probably still feels a lot worse. :-P

Other than that, yes, why pay $3500+ for the putter that was owned by the best professional putter on the planet? IDK, but it's obviously worth that much to someone. . . :whistle:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, 9wood said:

Look at both putters.

Looking the same does not make them the same. The build quality and material are going to be quite a bit different. Not to mention fit and finish. Granted, I don't understand how the putter like Speith's would go for 3500 but at the same time, just because that's what the starting bid for it was on Ebay doesn't mean that's what people will pay for it. I've seen people list stuff on Ebay for some pretty ridiculous prices.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

It's possibly better materials. The feel off the face might be a lot better and more consistent. If you miss the sweet spot, I'm sure your putter would feel a lot worse.

Other than that, yes, why pay $3500+ for the putter that was owned by the best putter on the planet? IDK, but it's obviously worth that much to someone. . . :whistle:

The $3500 wasn't for Speith's putter, it was for one like the one he uses

2 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Looking the same does not make them the same. The build quality and material are going to be quite a bit different. Not to mention fit and finish. Granted, I don't understand how the putter like Speith's would go for 3500 but at the same time, just because that's what the starting bid for it was on Ebay doesn't mean that's what people will pay for it. I've seen people list stuff on Ebay for some pretty ridiculous prices.

All of the Scotty Cameron putters are being listed up in the thousands of dollar's not just that one. You can check it out for yourself

4 minutes ago, 9wood said:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/own-jordan-spieths-rejected-cameron-prototype-putter-for-dollar18000

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 minutes ago, 9wood said:

All of the Scotty Cameron putters are being listed up in the thousands of dollar's not just that one. You can check it out for yourself

Why would anyone pay that for a Scotty when you can buy one new from a shop for less.... I can find them for 200-300 used pretty easily. People price stuff so stupid on Ebay that I pay very little attention to what they go for on that site.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

30 minutes ago, 9wood said:

The most I ever paid for a putter was $84 for an Odyssey putter many years ago, and that was only because I had credit in the pro shop and nothing else that I wanted.  I no longer own that putter.  

Putters can be very personal.  What works for one can feel utterly clumsy to the next person.  If what you have works for you, go with it.  I have a hunch that one day you will find that there is something better than your cheaply made imitation Ping knock-off, but I won't try to convince you.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

12 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Why would anyone pay that for a Scotty when you can buy one new from a shop for less.... I can find them for 200-300 used pretty easily. People price stuff so stupid on Ebay that I pay very little attention to what they go for on that site.

There might be other styles of Scotty putters selling for less than the 009 model, but I looked and couldn't find a Scotty Cameron 009 putter that wasn't priced in the thousands of dollars. 

8 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Putters can be very personal.  What works for one can feel utterly clumsy to the next person.  If what you have works for you, go with it.  I have a hunch that one day you will find that there is something better than your cheaply made imitation Ping knock-off, but I won't try to convince you.  

Absolutely agree, yet the most I would ever pay for any putter would be $10, but that's just the way I am, and currently my putting game is clicking and therefore I have no need to think about some other putter, especially one of those gimmicky, gawdy ones with those long prongs sticking out the back of it.

The Scotty is a collectors item, the SC 009 is a Tour only putter that were/was made for pro's.  As @iacas stated, it's a matter of what someone is willing to pay for it, especially with you're talking about collectors.  

In terms of physical differences, the 009 is a milled putter I have no idea how the Knight is made.  Many pro's have and continue to use the 009, I've yet to see any pro game a Knight.  Beyond that, if you look at the details there are a number of physical differences between the two.  

Joe Paradiso

7 minutes ago, 9wood said:

There might be other styles of Scotty putters selling for less than the 009 model, but I looked and couldn't find a Scotty Cameron 009 putter that wasn't priced in the thousands of dollars. 

Interesting, I don't know much about Scotty's, but the 009 seems to be a special model. You are correct that they seem to go for much more than the other models I've seen. This would lead me to believe that it's a limited run/special edition type putter which garners high interested. They type of person who would purchase such a putter likely doesn't care much about the cost as they are more interested in it for the prestige of having it. Still, even though they look very similar to the one you have in your picture, there are going to be some pretty significant differences in the quality of the product.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

@9wood if I put a brand new Pro V1 next to a random cheap ball I found in the trees, what differences are we going to see? I think we hardly see any differences. Still people pay a lot more for Pro V1s than for lakeballs, and a lot of Pro V1s are being sold every day. Why do people buy Pro V1s if they do not look that different? Are those people stupid? I don't think so. People buy them for materials, performance, feel and even for the brand and status. Not everything is in the looks.

5 minutes ago, DutchGolf said:

@9wood if I put a brand new Pro V1 next to a random cheap ball I found in the trees, what differences are we going to see? I think we hardly see any differences. Still people pay a lot more for Pro V1s than for lakeballs, and a lot of Pro V1s are being sold every day. Why do people buy Pro V1s if they do not look that different? Are those people stupid? I don't think so. People buy them for materials, performance, feel and even for the brand and status. Not everything is in the looks.

I found a Pro V1 and a cheaper Maxi Fli ball, and for me the cheaper Maxi Fli ball out performed the Pro V1 - that's the truth. I guess some balls are better suited for certain players as are some putters. 

2 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I found a Pro V1 and a cheaper Maxi Fli ball, and for me the cheaper Maxi Fli ball out performed the Pro V1 - that's the truth. I guess some balls are better suited for certain players as are some putters. 

It could be better for you. More expensive does not always mean better for you. But there can be a lot of things that you can't see with your eye that justify a higher price. And this is a bit related to the remark by @iacas, it is a game of supply and demand. Goods are worth what someone pays for it.

Just now, DutchGolf said:

It could be better for you. More expensive does not always mean better for you. But there can be a lot of things that you can't see with your eye that justify a higher price. And this is a bit related to the remark by @iacas, it is a game of supply and demand. Goods are worth what someone pays for it.

I agree with you that goods are valued at what the public is willing to pay for them. If goods are over-priced we have ourselves to blame.

Note: This thread is 2848 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!