IGNORED

Hybrids

Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you have a hybrid in your bag?

• Yes
    • No
    • Soon!

No, but I once played with a guy who had a 18 deg Adams Idea Pro Prototype and he was reaching par 5 in two every time!!!
His shots with the hybrid were even longer than his 3 wood!
I saw the review of this club on the sandtrap.com website and I am curious to try it personally.
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a Nickent 3DX DC 20º and 23º ironwood hybrids and hit them at the indoor driving dome (winter in Wisconsin). Straight as an arrow, no hook or slice and so easy to hit. One after another after another. I'd never be hitting my 3-iron like this. I've found a way to shave some strokes!! Eureka!!

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

I have a Nike CPR 21* and I love it. The shaft is a bit longer than most and the head is small so I feels good at adress. The ball just rockets off the face. Great club.

As bizzare as this sounds, I went from a 16 to a 9 handicap JUST with the help of hybrids. Believe it ot not, the LONGEST iron I have in my bag is a 7. I have a driver, then Nike Hybrids in 18*, 22*, 26*, and 30* degree lofts. The Nike's get the ball up and land so softly I can actually spin a ball BACKWARDS when hitting an approach shot!

Like I said, it sounds bizzare, but it DEFINATELY worked for me!!!

As bizzare as this sounds, I went from a 16 to a 9 handicap JUST with the help of hybrids. Believe it ot not, the LONGEST iron I have in my bag is a 7. I have a driver, then Nike Hybrids in 18*, 22*, 26*, and 30* degree lofts. The Nike's get the ball up and land so softly I can actually spin a ball BACKWARDS when hitting an approach shot!

I have a nike slingshot 21* hybrid that easily replaces my 3 and 4 wood belive it or not, better yardage and direction, no slice or hook, its incredible, i wish all my irons where hybrids.

got it for 25 bucks in ebay (graphite and headcover) , that is incredible too.

R540 XD 10.5
RAC HT Irons
Slingshot 5i Hybrid 26*
CG-11 60 deg std. bounce
White Hot #6

I love my TaylorMade Rescue Dual. Some of the best money I ever spent on clubs.
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

I have a cheapo 3 iron hybrid that I hit like king kong.
I am getting a new set this spring (As soon as the new Nicklaus stuff comes out) and I will definately be adding a hybrid or 2 to the bag. I really like the length I get and I hit it straight every time.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

Just like everybody else, I too am really liking my hybrid.

I opted for a 20* Cobra Baffler with Stiff Nippon Steel towards the end of last year. I've only hit it about 60 times in all, so I'm still getting used to it, but the ball just rockets off the club face. Love the feeling.

Is it just me or am i the only person who does not get great results out of hybrids?

My dad has a TM rescue and i borrow it from time to time and i just cant hit it. I am a straight hitter of he golf ball and can hit my 4 iron pretty decent, i though about a hybrid but i just cant get any consitency out of them.

If i have a shot that would require me to hit a hybrid i woudl much rather hit a high cut with my 3 wood. It stops quicker and i knoiw just about where it is going to go every time.
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

Is it just me or am i the only person who does not get great results out of hybrids?

Popey,

If you get a chance I would highly recommend the Nike CPR hybrids. I carry 4 of them now and love them! I think the biggest difference in these hybrids are the shafts are noticably shorter and they are meant to be swung like irons.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally put one in the bag last summer (503H) to replace my 3 iron, and it made a nice difference. I guess it’s an old age progression thing. Up until 5 years ago I was still carrying a 1 iron. Not only do I like the club from the fairway but it’s really neat to use around the green.

In the bag

Driver 905R, 9.5 Aldila NV65S
3 Wood 960 F2, 13.0 Aldila NV65S
5 Wood 975F, 18.5 Proforce 65SHybrid 503H, 22 deg. DG â S3004 â PW 735 CM, DG â S300SW Volkey 256.10, DG â S300LW Volkey 260.4, DG â S300Putter Scotty Cameron Studio Design 5 Ball Pro-V1x or Pro-V1...

I hit the 19* TM Rescue Dual and I love it...very confident in it.

Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

I'm sure most of you already know this, but for those of you who have NOT tried a hybrid let me share this....

....I carry a 18*, 22*, 26*, and 30* hybrid (Nike CPR's). I play to an 8 handicap and used these clubs to "retire" most of my irons. Matter of fact, the longest iron in my bag is a 7! I hit the 18* about 200 to 205, but with the design of hybrids launching the ball so high, I can hit this club to a 200 yard par three and the ball will stop and check up just a couple of feet from where it lands! My long irons in the past would hit the green and "skip" off the back, but thats not the case any more. My 30* which replaces my 5 & 6 iron will actually check-up and spin BACKWARDS!

The only reason I mention this is because if you are looking at a hybrid to replace a fairway wood, you might want to "experiment" a bit further and perhaps leave your 3, 4, & 5 irons in the garage. I know this isn't for everybody, but switching to all these hybrids has brought me from a 14 to an 8 in less than 90 days!!!

Yeah, you may get some strange looks and some ribbing from your buddies....but I'll bet you'll be the one taking home the cash at the end of the day!!!

I've had a 503H in my bag for several months, but I am thinking of getting the Adams Idea Pro hybrids. I want the 3,4 and 5 to replace my 2,3 and 4 irons. They number them strange. I'm just going by the lofts. I'm a bit worried that I will hit them too far, leaving big gaps in distance, so if anybody has hit these, let me know how they like them and how far they go, etc... Thanks!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

• 3 weeks later...
I am debating whether to buy a Nickend 3DX dc or Halo to replace a 4 iron....anyone care to share their thoughts between the two?

• 1 month later...
One thing I have found about hybrids is some people still associate them with higher handicaps and seniors. I started carrying one to replace my 2 iron, and it has made a huge difference. The 2 iron waas really just a club I used off the tee. It was too difficult to hit consistantly anywhere else. Switching to the hybrid now allows my to use that club anywhere. I got a razzing from a few of my friends when I switched, but now a lot of them have hybrids.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since my original post I have purchased an Adams Idea Pro 20 (3) and 23 (4). They have been reshafted with DG XL X-100 since the graphite they come with (Aldila VS Proto 80x) is one of the most inconsistent shafts out there. I put the 3 iron shaft on a deflection board and it was a soft stiff, not an X, and the 4 iron deflected at a firm stiff, not X.

These clubs are so easy to hit it's like cheating. They set up more like an iron than a wood which is why I bought them, but I was also very surprized at how easy they are to hit. I have never nor will I ever hit a 3 and 4 iron like I hit these. They fly high and straight, but I can also knock them down if I have to. Just don't try working the ball too much, they are tougher to work than a long iron. I cannot wait to tackle par 5s in two with these guys.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

One thing I have found about hybrids is some people still associate them with higher handicaps and seniors. I started carrying one to replace my 2 iron, and it has made a huge difference. The 2 iron waas really just a club I used off the tee. It was too difficult to hit consistantly anywhere else. Switching to the hybrid now allows my to use that club anywhere. I got a razzing from a few of my friends when I switched, but now a lot of them have hybrids.

It's funny how people change their tunes. Why would you want to carry a versatile club that you can hit off the tee, the fairway, out of the rough and even chip with? All it took was seeing some of the tour guys playing them. Then it's OK. If Tiger puts one in his bag for a major then it will be the biggest thing in the game.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I couldn't agree with you more!!! I just switched to the new Cleveland Hibore Hybrid Irons and allready have lowered my handicap to a 6. The funny thing is people I play with make all kind of funny comments about how they look, but sure enough during some time in the round they decide to try one and they are amazed!

Yeah, my bag may look a little "different"....SOMO2 driver, Hibore Hybrid irons, and an Odyssey 3-Ball putter that looks like a "shovel"...oh, and did I forget to mention the funny looking F2 Face Forward wedges I carry? People can laugh all day, but I'm a member at Riviera CC here in LA, and for any of you who have ever played here before and know how narrow our fairways are...not to mention our famous "kikuyou grass" that will grab your clubhead like a bear-trap, shooting a 76 or 77 is not a bad day for a "weekend-warrior"!

Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!