IGNORED

Are these extra holes valid?

Chisb
Note: This thread is 2834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

In a 4BBB match one of my opponents mistakenly took two strokes more than they were entitled to and this mistake was only discovered after the match had been won by my opponents. If correct strokes had been taken the match would have been halfed.

In the spirit of fairness that same evening when the mistake was uncovered by my partner, we called to inform our opponents and see if they wanted to make amends, they did. I understand at this stage we were out of luck and if they had chosen to do nothing the match was as played, but they offered a 9 hole play-off.

We started these extra holes (back nine) and on the 15th green we lost a hole and our opponents declared 2up, this was incorrect and we corrected them stating 1up. A heated discussion ensued where they informed us that they thought this was a do over of the holes where the incorrect strokes had been taken and that over these holes in the original match they were 1up. Obviously we refuted this and stated that that was ridiculous and not a valid format and that they were only 1up, to which they relented and agreed.

We won the play-off and assumed that we go through to the next round, but no! After this play-off our opponents filed a claim on the original match without informing us that they had done this and of the detail of this claim. Our club then ruled in our opponents favour without informing us either of the claim, or asking for our side of the issue (suspect).

I had to chase hard to get a meeting to give our side of the events and a further ruling was made again in our opponents favour, simply stating the extra holes were invalid and the original match stood. Both teams share culpability in the original match for not establishing the correct strokes, but as soon as the extra holes were agreed and started, no claim can be made against the original match under the "timley" rule.

Can I ask for opinion with rules reference if possible, as to whether or not ignorance on the behalf of our opponents in relation to the extra holes is reason to call them invalid?

Or any other reason can be given to call them valid or invalid?

Thanks
Chris

Edited by RandallT
Modified format for clarity (big blob of text)

The ruling depends on whether your opponent knowingly declared a wrong handicap. If he did he is DQ, otherwise the match stands as played (D6-2a/5)

6-2. Handicap

a. Match Play

Before starting a match in a handicap competition, the players should determine from one another their respective handicaps. If a player begins a match having declared a handicap higher than that to which he is entitled and this affects the number of strokes given or received, he is disqualified; otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap.

6-2a/5

Wrong Handicap Used in Match by Mistake; Error Discovered After Result Officially Announced

Q.In a handicap match between A and B, A stated by mistake before the match began that his handicap was ten strokes, whereas in fact his handicap was nine strokes. The match was played on the basis that A's handicap was ten strokes. A won the match. The error was discovered after the result had been officially announced. What is the ruling?

A.The match stands as played. No claim by B could be considered unless A had known he was giving wrong information about his handicap - see Rules 2-5, 6-2a and 34-1a.

Thanks Martyn,

So basically the agreement to play extra holes has no standing in the rules and if brought into question must be ignored?

Just would like to ask if rule 2-5/7 comes into effect, as the one and only claim made was on the original round after the extra holes have been played?

Many thanks

Chris

Aflighter,

:-D don't think a 5iron is enough club, don't want to come up short.

Basically scunnered me, going to join another club well away from cheats and chain yankers.

Rules may say one thing, but the way it has been handled and the actions of my opponents is an insult to the spirit of the game.

Thanks

Chris

13 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Just accept they cheated and beat you then wait in parking lot and take your 2 strokes you deserve back by swinging your 5 iron into their knees haa.

Sounds right to me....

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!