IGNORED

Understanding the Golf Swing

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How well do you understand the golf swing?

• 1 - Not a whit!
    • 2 - Club hit ball. Right?
    • 3 - I slice and pull a lot. I think that means I come over the top.
    • 4 - I can work the ball if I want to.
    • 5 - I still check in with the pro to see what I should work on.
    • 6 - I know what I have to work on myself, and then I do it.
    • 7 - I can fix just about any problem I see.
    • 8 - Everyone asks me for advice.
    • 9 - One step below Leadbetter

I'm about 6.5. I know what I'm doing wrong, and occasionally I help others. About a 15 handicap. What keeps my handicap up (and currently going in the wrong direction) is blowup holes.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im about a 2 on that, even though I can shoot below/even par its due to hitting the ball far enough to lessen my mistakes. My swing is based on instincts and I have very little "actual" golf knowledge on the intracasies of the golf swing.

I gave myself a 4. I was at the range with a co-worker recently and he asked about hitting draws and fades. I was able to show him one of each successfully. I know my own swing pretty well, and I know my tendencies.

I'm a 21 handicap. Last year I was a 25. I've only been taking my game seriously for about a year and a half. Before that I only played a few times a year. I'm a voracious reader, and I study the game passionately. When something goes sideways with my swing, I generally know what's happening. I don't tell other people anything though. I may be able to see what they're doing at times, but my knowledge isn't deep enough to be of any long-term help.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I played today with two kids who are 15. Both hit the ball, as you might imagine, pretty far. I was about 20 yards short on all tee shots (3W or driver).

You said; "Mike typically shoots about 78" or so.

Well, I'd take his swing if it came with a 78 and I wouldn't give 2-shitz about the rounds in which he lost it in! Don't be so pro minded and be happy with your own "near perfect" swing and handicap.
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

Where's the "One step above Leadbetter" option? :D

I'm a Scratch (+2 when I can practice) and probably a 9 to 9.5. There's always more for me to learn but I can coach the best of them.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

i'm about a 1. Still trying to learn the game and all of the little things that can make a huge difference. It still amazes me how so many things have to come together with your swing to accomplish what you want.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

You said; "Mike typically shoots about 78" or so.

A little testy ? BTW, I'm totally kidding you. Just so you know.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Understanding of what's going on, 7, maybe 8. My actual swing? 4, on a good day. I know what I do wrong 99 times out of 100, I just can't get all my shit together.

2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm entirely self-taught (i.e., through just watching TV, reading books/mags, independent drills, etc...). I took one set of three lessons, helped for a bit, but ultimately I had to rethink it all in my own head. I consider myself a student of the swing, and believe everyone has to accomplish the same basic goals but via their own anatomy.

I'll pass on the occasional tip to a partner but only if I actually know that person (I won't just start blabbing to some random single I hook up with, unless they actually ask). I've taught my wife from scratch, and she's never been an athlete of any kind, to the point where she can pop a 175-yd drive out there straight (we're working on chipping and putting!). My regular golfing buddy has a very unique, self-constructed swing that tends to get off-kilter a lot, and I can usually set him straight within a couple holes.

All in all, I've considered advertising locally giving inexpensive, beginner golf lessons just to see if I could really teach.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I think I might have posted this before, but here goes - 7 or so in my understanding. I keep it to myself mostly - but if someone asks for advice I'll pass it on, especially if I'm at the range and just taking my time. 99 out of 100 times I know what's going wrong with my swing. Usually, I'm able to fix it.

My swing is almost entirely self-taught and homemade. It was refined by a driving range pro to be a bit more reliable, but it's still pretty dysfunctional. I take it back like John Daly, then to extend so I don't pull the ball, I end up leaning forward and almost around the center of the swing path and ending in a short finish that resembles Arnie hitting driver. (Yeah, beware the guy with a weird swing or grip - because he's found a way to make it work).

Is there any pro who ends up swinging themselves opposite the club as they extend through? I'm trying to draw a comparison but I can't see anyone who does.

I'm a lucky one. i got to have my dad teach me the joys of the game

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

• 2 weeks later...
On this scale I feel like about a 5. I have several mental cues that I like to trigger my swing off of, but ultimately I want that feedback from a third party looking at my swing. Assuming they are qualified to help me with my swing. I feel like my yearly improvement in golf is directly from the help of the various CPGA teachers I have learned from, they know what they're doing and they've taught me well and I imagine I will always be coming back for more adjustments and tweaks to my swing.

"It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course" ~Hank Aaron, 1971

Robert's Golf Bag:
Taylormade R7 425 w/ S Flex Aldila NV65
Launcher Steel 3W & 5W S Flex Halo 3i S Flex TA2 Irons 4-PW 588 56* , 60* X2 PutterBall: HP Distance MX

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a professional lesson taker. I love to learn as much as possible. I have gone to a number of top 50 instructors (as ranked by Golf and Golf Digest). I've gone to some great ones who aren't ranked. I've discussed theory with all of them. Many friends come to me to diagnose and help them fix their swings.

Unfortunately, when I play I'm giving myself a lesson and I just can't turn it off. I diagnose every shot, especially misses (which are 90% of my shots). It costs me about 4-5 shots a round. I wish I could forget what I've learned, but this year I got a 5 hdcp to scratch, a 14 to an 8. I also got a 13 hdcp up to a 15 :)

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• 4 weeks later...
I'm a 6 on that scale... I have good understanding of the principles and physics of the swing, but I don't delude myself into thinking that I can use that knowledge to help anyone but myself. I can often see what most high cappers are doing wrong, but trying to fix it is well beyond my capabilities. I can usually fix problems with my own swing, but that is based more on observation of the ball trajectory and feel. I can feel what I'm doing, but I can't feel what another player is doing, thus I don't feel comfortable in trying to tell them how to change anything.

I will sometimes offer some basic advice on the short game fundamentals if I'm asked, but again I don't try to fine tune it, just tell them what the basics are.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Those kids are only 15 years old, when I was 15 i didn't care about any of that crap, all I cared about were cars and girls. (and yes, I played golf at 15)

I didn't care to learn swing technicalities until well after college.

Anyways, to answer your question, I put myself at a 6 on your scale.

• 3 weeks later...
I say I am I still "check in with the pro to see what I should work on". I say this for two reasons: my pro is awesome and always knows exactly what minor tweak to make to bring everything together. Second I dont have the ability yet to film my swing at the range. If I got that I would be leaning more towards being able to diag my own swing issues and fix them
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!