IGNORED

High School Season starts again.

CoachB25
Note:Β This thread is 2750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

7 hours ago, CoachB25 said:

Our home course is Oak Brook Golf Club north east of Edwardsville.Β  Edwardsville, Metro Lutheran, and Triad play there as their home course.Β  The tournament that I mentioned previously in this thread is in Lebanon.Β  It is the course for McKendree University.Β 

I had to log on as soon as I got home for this update.Β  My #1 had her second Hole In One as a Knight tonight.Β  She used a pitching wedge on the 128 yard Par 3 Hole 26.Β  I have been able to see both.Β  She was given her plaque tonight since the Owner/Club Pro was there as well.Β  It was really exciting.Β 

I remember Oak Brook - my wife and I used to golf there sometimes. Also played at The Hills in Lebanon last spring when we were up for Easter.

Congrats to your #1 on her ace! Β Two (at least) by that age is pretty awesome.Β 

16 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Coach,

I live in Illinois, but I'm not familiar with high school sports seasons. Is Fall or Spring the main season for HS golf?

High School Golf is in the fall in Illinois.Β  That means that the regional, sectional and state series are all in October.Β  That can get a little tricky sometimes.Β  For example, my #1 made it state last year where we had 30-40 mph winds both days.Β  As all of you know, leaves falling on some of these course can make finding a ball almost impossible. The people who prepare and work these various sites have always done such an outstanding jobs getting everything ready.Β  Per this year, we have been rained out of two tournaments.Β  That is a serious hit in our schedule.Β  One of my seniors remarked yesterday that we will go from major heat (100+heat index) to finishing the season in sleeves and wind gear.Β 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"Β  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."Β  Coach (me), "Exactly."Β  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."Β  LOL!

(edited)

Another update.Β  We had a match tonight that is about an hour away.Β  I drove through heavy rain and hail to get to the match.Β  It was raining when we got off the bus.Β  It was raining during the rules meeting.Β  It was raining as we teed off.Β  So, I guess you all have gotten the idea that it was raining.Β  In fact, at times, it was really pouring.Β  My #1 struggled some and was not feeling well.Β  My #2 was shooting par.Β  That's amazing in these conditions.Β  My #3 was shooting better than bogey golf which, again was amazing in these conditions.Β  Now for the shocker, my #4, #5 and #6 were all just over the pace for bogey golf.Β  While all of you might think that it is dumb that I am so excited, that's outstanding for my young team when 4 of my 8 came into this year having never played 9 holes.Β  My #1 and #2 had just finished their 5th holes when the lightening came out with a pretty good display.Β  So, everyone was called in and with the lightening and rain, the match was halted.Β  We were ahead of the other teams as I went player to player for how they were doing.Β  Still, I am so proud of them.Β  This was a great effort in seriously bad conditions.Β  When my drenched crew got on our bus, one young sophomore said, "Coach, attitude is everything."Β  She said that she decided that if she was going to play in a rain like that, she was going to do well.Β 

Edited by CoachB25

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"Β  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."Β  Coach (me), "Exactly."Β  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."Β  LOL!

15 hours ago, CoachB25 said:

While all of you might think that it is dumb that I am so excited, that's outstanding for my young team when 4 of my 8 came into this year having never played 9 holes

No. That's awesome.Β 

I started about five years ago and I'm not any better than that now.Β 

I'd chalk it up to superior coaching.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/31/2016 at 11:58 AM, mcanadiens said:

No. That's awesome.Β 

I started about five years ago and I'm not any better than that now.Β 

I'd chalk it up to superior coaching.

Thank you for the compliment.Β  I've found that any coach that thinks success is about them either hasn't coached long enough or is blind.Β  The kids always make the coach.Β  I have been so blessed to get kids that want to work hard.Β  We have gone through so many buckets of balls now.Β  In fact, I have one more range card left for my year.Β  I am going to have to buck up some out of the pocket but that is the nature of HS sports now.Β  Budget cuts everywhere and in all sports.

This was a very tough week.Β  My #3 and now #5 are down.Β  We lost to two teams this week that we should have beaten.Β  We only won one this past week.Β  We enter another tough week and our schedule will only get tougher.Β  Our #1 is still scoring well enough to medal in every match but Tuesday will be a real tough match.Β  We play a team that has to be in the top 5 in the state and has won 2 tournaments this season.Β  Then we play on a course where there are few flat lies as the course is uphill, downhill, and every type of angle with the ball above or below your foot. It is a great home course advantage for the home team.Β  Then, we play in a huge tournament at The Woodlands.Β  Go online and take a look at that course.Β  It is a good measure of golf.Β  Without #3 and #5, this will be a very tough day and I hope none of the young players quit.Β  As it looks now, this will be the first losing season I've had as the Girl's Golf Coach.Β 

Darrell Butler

• 2 weeks later...

Another update.Β  This has been one of the toughest, if not the toughest, years I have coached.Β  We are not only going to have my first losing season in any sport I've coached, we aren't close.Β  I've been the head coach in 4 sports and have a few hundred wins in most of those sports.Β  Recently, in a 9 hole match, our scoring went 35, 42, 47, 67.Β  Yes, 67!Β  I have 4 players who have never golfed before and have my #3 injured.Β  She can barely walk around school now.Β  My 4th score has been anywhere between 62 to 72.Β  I have 4 players I've tried to get into that slot but none can produce and I understand.Β  Not one of them played a round of golf prior to trying out.Β  My one softball player who I asked to tryout is the silver lining in this debacle.Β  She is actually shooting in the low 50s and high 40s.Β  She had never played a round of golf until I asked her to go out.Β  Now, she has a Titlist Hat she wears around, a 3 wheel pull cart and new clubs.Β  If my #3 could have toughed it out some we would have turned the corner.Β  Still, I know she is hurt and so that is how it goes.Β 

We have a "Par 3 Tournament" we play in every year.Β  Our players get so excited to play in it.Β  My #1 shot a 4 over 58 while taking a double on her first hole.Β  We had transportation problems and so, got to the event just in time to get our hole assignments and get out on the course.Β  Everyone was in a rush.Β  I am so proud of her and how she responded after that start.Β  My #2 shot a 63.Β  From there it was ugly but we placed in the upper half of the tournament teams.Β 

I don't know if I've mentioned our traditions.Β  Every new player has to sing on the bus/suv for the team.Β  It is a riot and we all join in singing with them after they get it started.Β  So, when we got on the bus, the last young lady to sing for the team got her singing in after the match.Β  It is so much fun doing this and everyone has such a blast.Β  Naturally, they get to pick the song.Β  We have places we stop to eat.Β  One is a place I went to as a kid.Β  They are famous for being an old Rock and Roll Diner.Β  Though the music no longer is played, we have car hops bring our food and I turn on a Golden Oldie station and we rock.Β  It is pretty much the same atmosphere as them singing on the bus and I sing for them despite being horrible.Β  It is a good time for them to laugh at me and for us to bond as a team.

We have 2 weeks left in the season now.Β  To this point, we have had 1 article put in our local newspaper about our team.Β  I wrote it.Β  I asked that we get some coverage when I submitted that article.Β  I will write up another article this weekend and hope that it gets put in the paper.Β  What a shame it is that these young ladies can't get press clippings on their efforts.Β  I hope you all don't find this thread a waste of bandwidth.Β  I wanted to give you all an idea of what it is like to coach the sport at the HS level.Β 

Darrell Butler

My #1 shot a 37 tonight and my#2 shot a 39. They both battled and made some great shots.Β  My #1 drove a ball over a green on a Par 4 and into a pond.Β  I don't know the exact distance she hit that ball but it was breathtaking.Β  She has to be one of the longest hitters in this state.Β  My #2 worked hard for that 39 and was almost crying she was so happy.Β  She has been struggling for her expectations and so, has been 45 almost all year.Β  She shot a 40 Wednesday night and now this.Β  The problem is, my next score that I had to count was a 55.Β  So, we lose again to two teams that we usually beat.Β Β  One by one stroke and one by 4.Β  One week left in the regular season.Β 

Darrell Butler

Entered the last week of the regular season on Monday.Β  It was also Senior Night.Β  Typically, it is a great night for us and did end good.Β  However, it was a rough start.Β  One of my seniors was pulled over driving to our course and had 3 other players in her car.Β  While she was given a warning, they got to our course late and so, were rushed to get dressed and on the course.Β  Naturally, she was shaken up.Β  My #1 was again medalist but we shot the worst score we have shot on they year.Β  We shot a 215 and that is terrible.Β  We lost to both opponents we played that night and have beaten both by 20 this year.Β 

Today was our conference tournament.Β  It is held at a very tough course for girls, has a lot of sand and water and trees.Β  My #4 who is really my #3 but I defer to an older girl at #3 could not play since she was rushed to the emergency room.Β  She is very sick.Β  Anyway, my #1 shot a 77 on a windy cold day and was Medalist.Β  She out shot the next competitor by 11 strokes.Β  Her round was one of the most amazing rounds I've seen.Β  Our conference is very competitive in girl's golf and yet, the #1s from all the other teams could not keep up with her.Β  My #2 was also All Conference.Β  From there, we were terrible but in line with the other girls.Β  Still, when you are missing the young lady that has been averaging 94 per 18 holes, you are not going to win.Β  We didn't.Β 

Regional Tournament next.Β  It is on our home course BUT we never get to play those holes.Β  We have 27 Holes and so, never are allowed on the first 18 due to league play.Β  I am hoping we get to play those holes now in practice since league is over.Β 

Finally, Senior Night is a celebration of our Seniors.Β  The other girls bought them some very nice gifts.Β  It was also my birthday.Β  They got me an extremely nice Triad Golf Jacket.Β  I needed it today since we were in the mid 60s with a very hard wind.Β  I am so blessed to get to be their coach.Β 

• Upvote 2

Darrell Butler

Quick update, my #4 who is really my #3 called this morning and asked if she could pick up her clubs.Β  I had them in my car for the bus to the conference tournament last Wednesday.Β  She was really excited.Β  She has been cleared to play Wednesday in the Regional Tournament.Β  She wanted to hit some balls and try to get in a practice round.Β  While we stand little chance of winning or advancing as a team, the team will be so happy tomorrow when she shows up for practice.Β  She wants to keep it a secret until she shows up to practice.

Darrell Butler

Last practice tonight before Regional Tournament.Β  We hit a bucket of balls on the range with emphasis on 150 and 100 yards.Β  The plan is that anytime my players are in trouble shoot for one of those yard markers and play for bogie.Β  We then worked on sand.Β  The owner of the course asked us to not go to certain holes with my team and just play out of the sand.Β  To be sure, a couple of teams did that tonight.Β  At one point, I saw 6 girls rotate into one sand trap.Β  When we played a practice hole, I let 2 girls play out of the sand and then, all my girls raked each sand trap.Β  We also did greens repair work after we played each hole.Β  We only got in 8 holes before we had to leave but it was quality work.Β  My #1 shot par for those holes.Β  My #2 was 2 over.Β 

Stuff we covered in our meeting:

• The forecast is for thunderstorms so get the rain gear and umbrella in the bag.
  • Make sure all balls are marked.
  • Have snacks in the bag.
  • Make sure rules printout are in the bag.
  • Tee times and rules for reporting early.
  • Mental approach - Know when to play for bogey and not lose the tournament while losing the hole.

Tomorrow will be a tough day.Β  We don't have much of a chance but we will battle.Β  I hate knowing that for most of my girls, tomorrow will be their last day.Β  I hope my seniors advance.Β  My #1 should bar a huge breakdown.Β 

Darrell Butler

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, I coach Triad (Troy, Il) and am very proud of my girls.Β  We did our best and our #1 shot an 80 on the day.Β  There was so much more to these results than simply scores.Β  I'll do my best to not sound classless. I only got one young lady out and so, my streak of getting two players out has stopped.Β  My other players had never played a round of golf before this year and yet, they shot 106 and 108Β  with the last finishing with a 113.Β  There were college coaches at the tournament and so, they were really interested in my #1.

One thing that many don't understand is what it is like to have two seniors and one misses advancing by two strokes. I've coached her for four years.Β  She is the greatest kid.Β  Her heart was broken.Β  To tell you what kind of kid she is, she asked if she could practice tomorrow to help the other senior out getting ready for sectional play.Β 

• Upvote 1

Darrell Butler

Sectional Tournament yesterday at Illini Country Club in Springfield, Illinois.Β  First, the Coach from Sacred Heart-Griffin did an outstanding job.Β  The members of this very nice private course allowed our young ladies to take over the course for the weekend and on Tuesday for the Sectional Tournament.Β  They are so gracious.Β  They didn't charge our girls for a practice round, for the course play and for range balls.Β  I don't think I have ever witnessed that before.Β 

THANK YOU ILLINI COUNTRY CLUB!

The course was immaculate.Β  Our girls really got to play an outstanding course that was very challenging.Β 

My #1 had a rough start but was battling.Β  She hits the ball so far that she was out driving her playing partners by 25-30 yards at times.Β  Still, she was having a rough time on the greens.Β  They are so nice but fast and where we play, we don't have any greens that fast.Β  Still, golf is a game of adjustment and so, my player was doing her best and battling.Β Β  She was on pace for a 38 on the front when bad things started happening.Β  For one, and I know this sounds like an excuse, one of the coaches recruiting her showed up.Β  I don't know why this would affect her but man did she go in the tank.Β  She out drove all of her playing partners on Hole #9 by a huge margin.Β  So, she was 87 to the uphill green.Β  There is a water canal in between but it should not have played a role in her shot.Β  She hit a wedge straight up in the air and into that water.Β  Next, she airmailed the green.Β  Above this pin and it is a recipe for disaster.Β  By then she was crying her eyes out.Β  Long story short, she blew up.Β 

I did my best to get her to regroup.Β  I told her about the scores at the turn of some girls we knew would compete to go to state and she was still right there.Β  She struggled some more but then turned it on.Β  she hit a shot for a birdie and then on back to back Par 5s she was on in 2.Β  Birdied both of them.Β  Back she came.Β  She had a putt for an 86 that we thought would get her to state.Β  It literally stopped with half of the ball over the hole.Β  So, she shot an 87.Β  Scores were high and we knew she still might have an outside chance.Β  When all was said in done, the Medalist shot a 78 and that 87 left her tied to playoff for going to state with 4 other girls.Β  She went first due to a draw on who would tee off first.Β  She hit a 225 yard 3 hybrid right down the middle of this uphill hole.Β  She then landed on the green in two.Β  From there, she sank a 15 foot birdie putt and we are off to state.

Brianna is the first girl in our school's history to go to state 2 times.Β  It has been such a blast coaching her.Β  She now has offers from a half dozens schools (D-II) and we'll see how this weekend goes.Β 

Darrell Butler

This is the last post in this thread.Β  We finished the season today.Β  My #1 was having a tremendous round even with at double on one hole.Β  Then, the wheels fell off.Β  She hit a wayward shot on a par 5 but that should not have been a problemΒ  She had an angle down another fairway to progress forward or she could play back into her fairway but there were trees everywhere.Β  She hit a ball and caught it real good.Β  This young lady can hit a ball farther than anyone I've ever seen play girl's golf.Β  She cleared the first rows of trees with a 3 hybrid and should have been up on the green.Β  She was on this green in 2 both the practice round and yesterday's round.Β  However, there is no way she could get there in 2 due to that angle and distance today.Β  One parent from another player saw her shot and said it tracked over one particular tree.Β  That is where I had it as well.Β  When we got up to where it should have been which was in the right edge of the fairway, we could not find it.Β  After the 5 minutes to look for a lost ball, she had to go back and hit again.Β  She took a conservative shot back into her fairway and then duffed her next shot since she was crying so hard.Β  Then, she flew the green.Β Β  On the next hole, she went into the water.Β  She could not compose herself.Β  More than one group of parents thinks that some parent in the group ahead picked that ball up.Β  It is the only thing that makes sense.Β  I know for sure what three that shot tracked over.Β 

I think that this is the last time I will make it to state.Β  I retire in 2 years and I don't have any experience in the 5 girls I will have returning.Β  Golf is not their main sport.Β  I've been to state 3 times in 6 years with my golfers from a school that barely fields a golf team.Β  I've been blessed to be sure.Β  I hope everyone enjoyed reading this thread.Β  I wanted to give you an idea of what happens at the high school level.

Take care,

Darrell

Darrell Butler

Note:Β This thread is 2750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!