IGNORED

Why carry a sand wedge?

Note: This thread is 2787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hate sand wedges.  From my first set of clubs (25 years ago) to my  current modern wedges I can't hit a sand wedge with any consistency.

By sand wedge I am referring to a wedge with a loft of between 52 and 58 degrees with a bounce of between 8 to 16 degrees.  For some reason that loft with any bounce makes it so i can't chip, pitch, flop or even make less than a full swing without some sort of thin, fat or outright duff hit.  My lob wedge (59 degree with 8 degree bounce) gets me consistent results on anything but a steep uphill lie.  My gap wedge (49 degree loft with 6 degree bounce) also works great for pitches, punches, chips, flops, or whatever I ask it to do. But when I pull my sand wedge (53 degree with 8 degree bounce) for anything less than a 100 yard full shot, the results are completely unpredictable.

I rarely find myself in a green side bunker, and when I do my lob wedge is a much better way to get close to the pin.  Even when I pull the sand wedge for the sand it is as likely to leave me in the bunker as fly all the way over the green and in the rough.  

I know I have a sweeper/ picker swing, which has caused me to go to a lot less bounce than many other golfers play.  But even at 8 degrees lf bounce I struggle.  But with more loft the same bounce doesn't get in my way.  I hate to just throw my 100 yard club away, but that is the only thing it is good for.  I don't really need another spot in the bag. 

I ran across the Sand Blaster wedge with 52 degree loft and only 3 degrees bounce.  In theory it should play more like a hybrid than a wedge and still get me close to my 100 yard full swing.  Has anyone found themselves in this situation?  How about the Sand Blaster?  Anyone use one?

Here are my specs for my SW: Loft : 57.7  Bounce : 13.7

This club is only used for the sand and is great in the light fluffy sand at the courses I play.  I don't think I have ever hit it in the grass and never a full swing.

I can hit it normal, opened a little and wide open for different shots out of the bunker.  If the traps are wet from rain I use my GW : Loft : 51  Bounce : 8

My Gap Wedge does all my other shots inside of 80 yards.

If you don't need the spot open, keep the SW in there for 100 yards.  Its nice to have a 100 yard club as that's a good spot to layup to.  Many people may chime in with different numbers and different clubs but it still comes down to what works best for you with the 14 clubs you are allowed to carry.

** The sand blaster sounds like Snake Oil to me... I try to stay away from gimmicks these companies make to get $$$'s out of golfers who struggle. ** 

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This sounds like an archer, not arrow, problem. 

If you hit your lob wedge with similar bounce fine, I think its just a mental thing. Usually the lob wedge is harder to hit than a sand wedge, IMO. Maybe try attacking more down on the ball vs the usual picker swing. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Golf manufacturers normally classify SW as 54 - 58 degrees, with your sugggested bounce range. Generally, a lower-bounce 58* would be considered a LW rather than a SW, as per your 59*.

39 minutes ago, IndianaDundee said:

By sand wedge I am referring to a wedge with a loft of between 52 and 58 degrees with a bounce of between 8 to 16 degrees.

How much bounce you need would depend on your swing (steeper downswing needs more bounce), and your turf/sand conditions (firmer turf, firmer sand needs less bounce). 

Also, many Edel wedge users have adjusted their short-game shots to capitalize on higher bounce overall.

Some players go with three wedges, such as @mvmac: 46, 52 and 58.

You might try a wedge fitting. It seems like you have ended up with four wedges, rather than choosing a wedge mix based on yardage and shot needs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator
2 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

This sounds like an archer, not arrow, problem. 

If you hit your lob wedge with similar bounce fine, I think its just a mental thing. Usually the lob wedge is harder to hit than a sand wedge, IMO. Maybe try attacking more down on the ball vs the usual picker swing. 

Yup.

FWIW my sand wedge has 17° bounce. My LW has 22°.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!