IGNORED

Urgent - Driver swing weight broken

mgolfer
Note: This thread is 5968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I was on the range the other day with my Cobra F Speed LD. I hit a normal shot, not a scuff of any kind and my driver had a loud rattle inside it. I phoned up the store and they said that my driver swing weight had broken and it would take 10 days to replace. I am going away to play some golf this weekend though and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how to fix it and also more importantly if it actually would effect my drivers performance much.

Many thanks

To be honest mate, there's nothing that i know of that can fix it, but is it a small chunk or a large chunk as you will most likely be able to play with it anyway, it will just rattle when you swing. You will need to get a new shaft though eventually.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

There's nothing you can do... If you can open the driver, and fix it, you should be okay.

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

Cheers guys, I think I will carry on playing my driver but will hand into the shop to get it fixed over xmas. It has stopped rattling for the moment so fingers crossed it should be ok!!

In the old days, this would be a piece of epoxy that came loose from the shaft/head and was nothing to worry about other than it being annoying. Driver swing weight? That's a new one to me.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I think it was an internal weight...thats just what one guy said lol.

mgolfer,

There shouldn't be any internal weights in the Cobra. It sounds like a piece of epoxy broke loose as mentioned above. There are a couple of things you can do - however best thing to do is send it in. Best thing to try is wrap the shaft, crown and hosel in a wet rag, then slowly heat the sole with a heat gun. The goal here is to melt the rat glue inside the head enough so it softens and catches the epoxy then resets with the epoxy in place. Dangers are adding too much heat and burning the paint and damaging the graphite. Be very careful you can always add more heat but you can't take it away. Most graphite shafting epoxies break down at 250 degrees, most heat guns can reach temperatures of 1000 degrees, so again be careful. By wrapping the crown and hosel with a wet rag you buy yourself a little insurance.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a Cobra F Speed LD Driver, which developed a rattle after 6 weeks of use.

I was fortunate that the company I purchased it from were very helpful and they picked the club up the next day and replaced it with a brand new one.

Today, the new one developed a rattle (funnily enough, about 6 weeks after receiving it!), so I'm going to send it back and ask what the problem is with it continuosly going wrong!

Can anyone recommend an alternative driver to purcahse?

Note: This thread is 5968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!