IGNORED

Tight but mushy lie

TourSpoon
Note: This thread is 5981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do you play this shot?

Here is the situation:

Your ball is 20-25 yards from green and it is sitting on a tightly mown lie that is either wet or a little mushy just under the surface of the grass. How do you play this shot? What if there is a forced carry over a bunker?

I have had this tricky little shot come up a few times this year and it has not been pretty every time. I see a few options.

1. Bump and run with a lower lofted club (no forced carry)
2. Use a lofted wedge and accelerate to clear bunker
3. Pick it perfect with no divot

The #1 option is great when you don't have the carry and has been a go to shot that I have had great success with.

The problem has been with #2 that the ground gives way which leads to a fat shot (which normally wouldn't be fat if the ground was not so soft) or a shot that is too long. The distance control is very hard to predict because of the ground breaking away under the ball.

The #3 option works, but it is hard to be that consistent.

If you have feedback, start posting!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

As a natural picker, I'd go for #3. Depending on distance, the size of the bunker I have to carry, the hole location and the condition of the green, it would dictate my loft. I prefer the 56 for really close shots around the green, and if I need more roll I use the PW. But I also have a 52 and 60...

Sort of gets me thinking if we really need that many wedges though. Seve was the best ever and he only had one...
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Man we get this a lot around here in high heat, they drown approaches, but they are cut really short. I try to play it back in my stance with a pw or lob wedge, SW is trouble but not sure why. A really quiet body, aggressive hands, if your balance is off even a little shot doesn't come off. I hope someone has a better way because if my confidence is off even a little I don't hit it clean.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Thanks for the replies. There is no room for error that's for sure. Keep it coming.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I want to hear this answer, because I've played it both ways, very lofted, focusing on picking it clean and using a lower lofted club where I don't come at it so steep. And, I've hit it perfect and laid sod over the ball.

I think it truly is the toughest shot in golf! Way tougher than a long bunker shot.

I want to hear this answer, because I've played it both ways, very lofted, focusing on picking it clean and using a lower lofted club where I don't come at it so steep. And, I've hit it perfect and laid sod over the ball.

I would rather be in the bunker, that's for sure!

If you are hitting to this spot often and can't hit the shot, you need to lay up farther from the green so your on solid ground with a full wedge and take the soft ground out of play. That is why you see the pros always laying up to a full shot. As this leads to many other questions this maybe the best answer if your always 20-25 yards to the green on this hole.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

If you are hitting to this spot often and can't hit the shot, you need to lay up farther from the green so your on solid ground with a full wedge and take the soft ground out of play. That is why you see the pros always laying up to a full shot. As this leads to many other questions this maybe the best answer if your always 20-25 yards to the green on this hole.

Fair enough, maybe it happens once a round, it would also apply anytime you miss the green and have this kind of lie and you have to pitch the ball.

You are more than welcome to tell us how you deal with this situation.

I will usually take my 58 degree wedge open the face to about 64 degrees and take a divot with a swing like a bunker shot...this shot is more about picking a plan and sticking with it, you can't change your mind in the middle of the swing.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Actually, golf isn't hard enough for me, so I look for these spots. It's really tough to pick them out from 160yds away, but I do my best!

Id open the face and pick it clean. I usually dont take divots so it easy for me to pick the ball,

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

Just use a nine iron, play it back in your stance and hit a smooth 3/4 shot. Don't try to hit it hard with back spin or you only go deeper in the mush.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Alright, how about this. I just traded my 60/04 for a 60/08. That should help with this shot.

I was talking to a mini-tour guy last night and he said that in the situation that I am referencing, especially into the grain, you stay committed and be happy with a bogey. With the grain you are better off. He also said that for the courses we play, the 4 degrees really makes that shot harder than it needs to be.

Just to be even more anal, I went to the pitching green today and was pitching it tight with the 54/10 and taking small divots with the 60/04. On the range the tendency to dig was definitely there. They had a demo day and I was hitting a Calloway forged which is 60/10 and taking a normal divot without really thinking about it so I thought I would try some more bounce. With my old 588, even though it was 4 degrees, it had a rounder flange so I got away with more.

When I started this post, I didn't even think of bounce so I learned something. Thanks for the responses.

FWIW, I play the lowest lofted club that will work for the situation at hand.

This is a tough shot and one that is hard to avoid if you play courses with closely mowed fringes and greens that are heavily watered.

dave

ps. If no carry is required I will consider using either a 3w or my putter if things are really mushy and tight.

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

# 3 option . I use either a 64 or 70 wedge with full swing . Letting the bounce take care of scooping the ball .

Holey-Moley - a 70* wedge off a tight/mushy lie. That is WAY more cahones than I've got

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Just use a nine iron, play it back in your stance and hit a smooth 3/4 shot. Don't try to hit it hard with back spin or you only go deeper in the mush.

Only way to do it in my opinion if you want any type of consistency....great advice.

Anytime I have an issue with a lie I always play it back in the stance, and take a smooth swing.

Sumo 5000 10.5 Aldila NV 65-X Driver
PC-III 4-SW irons
Custom Putter
Pro-V1 Balls

Only way to do it in my opinion if you want any type of consistency....great advice.

I agree with the lower loft, but when you put a bunker in the way with a tight pin you are now playing for bogey, maybe par if you can a one-timer.

Note: This thread is 5981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!