IGNORED

My Swing (Hatchman)

Hatchman
Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Received my Evolvr feedback from Preston.  5SK West Coast.  Man, I really like this guy.  And will be fun threading pieces together.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been working on a few basic things from my instructor I really like that's pretty revealing.  Since I'm restricted in my swing top and bottom we're working on trying to make repeatable contact to help maximize what I do have or can get out of it.  I thought I made pretty good contact but see today I'm up on the club face after teeing off two (2) balls on holes one and two while playing with a buddy to get a starting baseline.  I start the training reps of 4 sets of 5 balls in the morning.  I know there is a loss of distance up there with the reduced spin.  Plus I've teed it just a little higher lately.  Wonder if I should use one of those fixed height tees?

IMG_1138.JPG

• Upvote 1

Well I was able to start the swing path work this morning in 34 degree windy weather, but still fun.  Until I got called back into work after the first ball of the third set.  The results are as follows:

First set, ball one teed way too high and off center high drive result left fairway.  Ball 2 still teed too high then started teeing down.  A little better pattern.

Second set, first two balls above center again.  Teed top of ball height. Last three better precision.  Center fairway, 30-35 yards longer.

Third set, first ball almost center.  Teed just below ball height.  Light grass marks on bottom face of club.   Darn, phone call from work...

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

Start of set 3.  First swing, teed below top of ball.  

IMG_1160.JPG

Off to the range soon for more swing plane work.  Yesterday hit a few balls then powdered an 8i before playing with league friends.  I'm liking this drill from Evolvr.  Glad I hooked up a few months ago.  

IMG_1163.JPG

After a little range work yesterday on swing path and contact, I went to a course to practice that has some longer holes so I could try and shape a few shots and check distances with fairway slope, etc.  A lot of fun, but several holes were just a little long for the 5w I is was using, tee to green on the 400 plus (450ish) 4 par holes.  I like these focused drills.  The 400 to 420 holes were fine and on target with my pre surgery play.  Can't wait for next Evolvr swing feedback.

Hole shown - tee 416.  Sloped fairway, played up to fairway bunker.  Draw approach into green around front bunker pin high.  Good hole par.  +1 on the the longer holes.  Punched greens, putting pretty rough. 

IMG_1182.JPG

Tee shot - Fairway position in front of bunker.

IMG_1183.JPG

2017 Golf Goals

1. Off the tee better - (just changed driver shaft)

2. Concentrate on approach distances more accurately - GPS or Yardage Books

3. Less lag putting - (preserve the par/bogey thinking based on the approach shot).

4. Learn/accept the new driver & iron shaft weight changes - (fitter dropping me down a weight).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I pasted my goals here to keep track of track them and for feedback.  

1.  Been working on path and contact using powder.  Recommendation by my Evolvr instructor. I've noticed I'm initially a little high on the face.  Adjusting my tee height slightly.  Generally first ball contact a little high on the face then improves.  Contact dispersion improving at full swing speed and not thinking about the drill.  Getting some increased distance with the lower teed ball with less spin and good run out.  Prior, I was about 13-14 degree launch angle, but haven't measured since starting this drill.

2.  Not working on this as a priority yet.  Driver contact first.  Still using yardage books and course familiarity but leaning into lazar range finder based on positive comments on TST.

3.  Used to putt for hours.  I don't practice as much putting now.  I would try and lag it close on putts stepped off 15 paces or more.  Now concentrating more on pace to make, plus 12" on birdie putts.  Less coming up short now.

4.  Driver shaft a nice fit I think (Alida Tour Blue). Fitter just trimmed to 44.25".  I made no face or weight adjustment, just increased grip size to medium (nice feel, matches my irons).  Was measured D0, now D3.   No distance loss, maybe a slight gain.  Haven't checked launch angle yet.  The iron shafts were splined and installed.  Hit pretty straight but I have a tendency to hood them.  I like about 18 degree launch angle on my 6i, but again I haven't hit a launch monitor or Trackman yet.

Todays work with the trimmed driver shaft.

IMG_1275.JPG

• Upvote 2

Nice. Sounds like you have a really structured plan. Did you get any of it out of LSW? Dialing in your distances and dispersion is so critical to hitting greens and game planning.

• Upvote 1

Jon

Yes.  I bought the book and read it several times and do understand priorities.  But I've come to either misplace it or more than likely loaned it out.  So I don't quote it, because I would most likely-do it an injustice.  It is very structured and well written.    I do recommend it to start the journey of learning and game improvement where I think I lie now.  Thank you @JonMa1 for the comment.

(edited)

Also, @JonMA1 , LSW does help a golfer distinguish then develop a Game Plan vs a Practice Plan, and better Decision Making.  I spent far too much time practicing.  Now I think I hit the right percentages and it also provided good stats in areas.   And where to spend valuable time.    About decision making, instead of trying to overpower the ball :0, in the pictures above I was trying to illustrate my decision to lay up in front of the bunker from the 416 tee at around 200 yards, rather than carry 240ish on a windy day on a sloped fairway towards water.   The strategy worked perfectly as the approach from about 205 held the wind played out towards the left bunker rather than over the right bunker to the pin to about 15 feet below the pin.   I used to just go at every pin.  You know what that causes.  So I think I can knock a few strokes off this year following the LSW keys.  I couldn't load the picture in above string.  Made the file too large.

On the Green.jpg

Edited by Hatchman

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Been continuing with the Driver Face Contact with Preston from Evolvr.  Also doing work on my alignment where I have competing angles causing an over the top move with a right ball path flight to target.  We are moving my alignment slightly.  When it feels like I'm hitting to the center of the green to play safe I still wind up closer to the edge, than I want, or slightly off.  It will take a little work but I'll get there.  The driver is almost reliable now.  Even, with picking up a new one last week.  

The first two tee shots.  Still a little high.

IMG_1293.JPG

The right miss onto the green aiming for the center.  Over water with bunker to the right of the pin.  LSW not executed well.

IMG_1297.JPG

Edited by Hatchman
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

May Update:

Been working with Preston from Evolvr who is really a good communicator.  A+.  Back from travel but was able to work this last month on LWS positions A4-A5.  I've been able to lessen the lean over at address and close my feet alignment position.  Puts the shaft in a better position to the target where I developed pulling across my body.  At the A-5 position, we are going to focus on the path to the ball for a while similar the the Face Contact drills I enjoy doing before playing.  We are liking the starting ball flight point that is straight out, or slightly left, more with less pull.  Striking the ball from the inside more has a higher ball flight and more carry.  At A-5 I am working to shallow my path at the bicep into ball rather than pull down from the outside shoulder top slightly over.  We think this will help to better my contact and dispersion.  When I get too fast and forget, crowd my alignment then get too steep, I will fat the shot big time.  Got to remember.

Had a nice afternoon practice, 9 holes of golf with league buddies, then several holes on the course taking my Goldilocks Drill for dispersion to the course.

Worked left and right dispersion at the range to within 7 yards as instructed.  Wind came up but was able to adjust with the clubs assigned.   Shot a nice 38 with two 3 putts on the bogeys.  Both balls center on the green, long putts but pulled second putt right misses.  Haven't been practicing putting for several months now.  

Last, after playing 9, teed 3 balls with my mark aligned 12-15* to inside.  The three were pretty much in line in the middle of the fairway with the last one the shortest hitting into the cross wind.  I hit the middle ball from the deck with the same feel from the inside towards the group on the green with a 5 wood not a 3, as to not hit up on them.  The hole was 458 playing slightly longer with the wind.  My feeling over the shot was it was going to go left but it went back center, down the fairway, as my instructor had mapped it and with a nice flight pattern.  

IMG_1812.JPG

Second shot.  5 wood.

IMG_1813.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

A little slow these days with work travel and trying to move.   But able to get in practice on my Evolvr lesson drills.   We are liking the progress on the set up and a little taller position he has me viewing DOL.  We reanalyze FO's next set.   Looks like the top is better, but at A5 I'm too steep still pulling down over the top and need to work on swallowing the shaft angle through the bicep as shown.  The skinnies and fatso's are improving with the drills and having better results on the course, in between.   

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Edited by Hatchman

Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!