IGNORED

Short haul destinations for noobs from UK?

Raging Beard
Note: This thread is 2632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sorry if this has been asked a lot, I tried a few searches which yielded nothing.

I am still very much a beginner, as is my dad, but he brought up the topic of perhaps a short trip away next year.

I know in skiing/snowboarding that various resorts are wholly suitable, or at least very welcoming, for beginners, so I was wondering if the same was true at all for foreign golfing destinations?

Is there anywhere sunny worth travelling to as a beginner? By that I suppose I mean courses that's are forgiving but also where people will expect you to be a beginner, and not have low/mid handicap players getting impatient etc.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Raging Beard said:

Sorry if this has been asked a lot, I tried a few searches which yielded nothing.

I am still very much a beginner, as is my dad, but he brought up the topic of perhaps a short trip away next year.

I know in skiing/snowboarding that various resorts are wholly suitable, or at least very welcoming, for beginners, so I was wondering if the same was true at all for foreign golfing destinations?

Is there anywhere sunny worth travelling to as a beginner? By that I suppose I mean courses that's are forgiving but also where people will expect you to be a beginner, and not have low/mid handicap players getting impatient etc.

Thanks.

Depends on what you mean by 'Short Haul'. We have a state here in the US. The State's name is "Golf". Some people call it Florida for unknown reasons. You can't go more than a few kilometers without tripping on a golf course. In Orlando area alone, there are 50 within an hour of the airport, many of which are great for beginners.

I don't know Europe at all for golf, but there may be some in Spain.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Raging Beard said:

Lol I am sure it would be perfect, weather and all, but the States aren't short haul unfortunately.

How about Spain then? With their economy, you may be able to find great deals in the south. When I look at courses, I use Google Maps or Google Earth to scout them. Courses that are good for beginners would have fewer trees and water or areas to lose a ball. I'm not sure how courses are rated in the EU, but rating and slope in the US is a good indicator too. A par 72 that rates 69 with a 115 slope is generally better for beginners.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Portugal mate - specifically the Algarve, it is the goto place in Europe for sunny golf breaks and it is rammed with courses to play. 

• Like 1

In my bag: 
Irons: TaylorMade M2,  Woods: TaylorMade M2 5 Wood , Driver: TaylorMade Aero Burner mini driver  Hybrid: Some crappy Wilson 4H Putter: Some crappy Wilson HDX putter. 

You will notice that my set is heavy on the super game improvement kit, I am still awaiting the super game improvement that was promised. 

Note: This thread is 2632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!