IGNORED

Millennials in the Workplace

iacas
Note: This thread is 2691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I've been watching (in the background mostly) The Great Indoors on CBS and when he rattles off a bunch of things, it directly speaks to a bunch of jokes they've done on that show.

My wife's a teacher, too, so she can especially relate. I have a 14-year-old daughter, and we've talked with her about this a bunch. She probably uses social media too much, and she expects to get things too quickly/easily sometimes too (though learning golf has helped in that respect), but we see this behavior in smaller doses from her too. And without her phone, she wouldn't have any friends at all, which would be really depressing - that's how they plan everything and stay in touch even when they're just sitting around vegging.

P.S. @cipher sent me this video earlier today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've been watching (in the background mostly) The Great Indoors on CBS and when he rattles off a bunch of things, it directly speaks to a bunch of jokes they've done on that show.

My wife's a teacher, too, so she can especially relate. I have a 14-year-old daughter, and we've talked with her about this a bunch. She probably uses social media too much, and she expects to get things too quickly/easily sometimes too (though learning golf has helped in that respect), but we see this behavior in smaller doses from her too. And without her phone, she wouldn't have any friends at all, which would be really depressing - that's how they plan everything and stay in touch even when they're just sitting around vegging.

It's something that probably even people who are not Millennials have to deal with. I didn't grow up with social media. I was in college when that was first formed. I hardly had texting. If you wanted to talk to someone you waited till school the next day or you called them on the phone. Though things like AIM became popular later in high school as well. 

I struggle sometimes myself with putting the phone down. I would find it hard to imagine what it would be like to have that while growing up as a pre-teen and through high school. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

47 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It's something that probably even people who are not Millennials have to deal with. I didn't grow up with social media. I was in college when that was first formed. I hardly had texting. If you wanted to talk to someone you waited till school the next day or you called them on the phone. Though things like AIM became popular later in high school as well. 

I struggle sometimes myself with putting the phone down. I would find it hard to imagine what it would be like to have that while growing up as a pre-teen and through high school. 

Agree with this completely even though I am not a Millennial and grew up under very similar circumstances, I realize I do a lot of these things myself.  I am going to have my leadership team at work watch this video next week as well.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

I had to think about this for a while.

A lot of what he says is spot on, especially regarding the addiction to social media, instant gratification and the inability to do anything without a cell phone in your pocket. But I don't know that it's as damaging as he makes it sound and I don't believe millennials are the only ones adversely affected by social media (I asked my IT manager to block TST when I first joined the site).

Another point is that just because someone is on their cell phone at work doesn't mean they aren't being productive. 

I also don't believe any of this is Corporate America's responsibility to "fix". I work with a lot of younger, college graduates. Some have incredible work ethics, others are useless. Pretty much how it's been since I joined the workforce in the early 80's. 

I'm not saying none of this is problematic (texting while driving???), just that it seems as though every generation looks for a single reason for all the ills of the world.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

Very interesting.

I typically don't have an issue leaving the phone at home (or going somewhere without service), but I certainly enjoy my time "catching up" when I get back.

I also have a different take on the corporations "having" to solve the problems.  I don't see it as a mandatory thing.  If they want their employees to be the happiest and most productive, though, they may "have" to... It would just be smart business at that point.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

On 1/2/2017 at 0:35 PM, iacas said:

MY wife is also a teacher and spoke very highly of this video!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

As with anything in life education is key, teach the kids at school and that translates in adulthood

Im surfing TST whilst currently being at work, ive logged into FB on my phone numerous times today, other forums im on, bit of web shopping, read the news etc,.....it hasnt affected my work, or my colleagues, or my output (I run alot of reports that take time),..so its no big deal,.............if i however missed deadlines, was late for meetings, or spent 20-30 mintues at a time staring at my phone, then yeah im going to get sacked, but i know that so i dont do it.

Im a self diagnosed phone junky, im never without it and im always using it wether its FB, news, emails, streaming sports, texting etc. but as in work I understand social etiquette, i dont get it out during meals, or when eating out, i dont get it out during conversations

I wasnt taught that at school, i just kind of "get it" but im sure many dont, and many would benefit from education,....my little sister constantly picks her phone up to read/reply to texts whilst your in mid-conversation then wonders why your pissed that she lost the flow of conversation, I worry that when she leaves school this will translate into her workplace and it wont end well, as i imagine it wont for many kids now

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I saw this video a few weeks ago shared from someone on TED Talks. He makes a lot of great points, but its evident when millenials are raised properly by their parents, they're better members of society and do well in the work place. I have a lot of friends who are prime examples of this video, and then a smaller group which I consider myself in who have prospered greatly whether it was by pure luck, some boss took a chance on a 21 yr old, and we worked our asses off to get where we are. When I'm in my early 50's retired and playing golf most days I wont feel sorry for my buddies who are working into their 70's.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Note: This thread is 2691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!