IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played again today.  Shot a 94.  8 fairways, 4 GIR's.   After bragging about the improvements in my putting, it let me down today..    I had 39 putts.............  Oh well, it was a beautiful day!  Too bad it is supposed to snow tomorrow.............

Shot a 94, too, today.  9 FW hits & 4 GIRs.  For bogey golfers, it's one thing or another that can go bad.  I thought I've got the driver working but it went south big time today..  I had to keep driver in my bag after 7th hole.   It was all 3 wood after that.  I've got putting right though, 34 total putts.   It was a beautiful day in CA and it isn't going to snow tomorrow :-) .  I will get another shot at breaking 90 tomorrow :beer: .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do people meticulously keep their stats?

I would be interested in comparing Fairway %, GIR, and putts with other bogey golfers for curiosity sake...My stats are averaged from my last 20 rounds.

Handicap: 16

Fairway %: 32

GIR: 17

Putts: 1.75

Do people meticulously keep their stats? I would be interested in comparing Fairway %, GIR, and putts with other bogey golfers for curiosity sake...My stats are averaged from my last 20 rounds. Handicap: 16 Fairway %: 32 GIR: 17 Putts: 1.75

I am presuming that even though you didn't put the percent sign, that GIR number is a percentage since 17 greens and 1.75 putts would put you in the low 70's... According to the "YOUR GOLF" app on my phone, over the past 6 months, I have averaged: 55% of my fairways 28.97% GIR 2.21 putts ( told ya I struggle with the putter)

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I have a UPro. So it tracks fairways greens and putts. Its a pretty handy little tool. Last time I checked all of my stats were in the low thirties with an average score of 91. I'll check the website again and post it.

I am using a strategy over the last few months that seems to be working. At all costs, I try to avoid big numbers. Statistically, if you want to improve "a process" the first step is to reduce the variance and then "move the mid point"... Now I choose clubs differently, manage the course more efficiently and check what seems to be working on a certain day.

So if  I'm in the woods, I chip it out instead of going with a very difficult, unlikable shot that I've never had a chance to practice.... if I need to hit a driver that *must* carry 230 yards, I choose perhaps a 5 iron and then go over the hazard, as opposed to putting additional pressure on myself. Playing to the safe side sometimes is a great alternative.

I am using a strategy over the last few months that seems to be working. At all costs, I try to avoid big numbers. Statistically, if you want to improve "a process" the first step is to reduce the variance and then "move the mid point"... Now I choose clubs differently, manage the course more efficiently and check what seems to be working on a certain day.

Yeah, good course management will save strokes.   Today, I stuck to 3W for all my drives.   I was struggling with driver since yesterday's round and didn't have time to practice. OTOH, I was "on" with 3W.  I hit 12 of 14 fairways, probably my PR.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Pretty good thread.  I read about half, so sorry if this has been posted.

Take pride in your appearance.  Had a golf pro point out that I had on a collared shirt that looked like I was still in college, frayed collar, possibly some holes.  Untucked into a pair of shorts that looked like I had just done yard work.  Shoes covered in mud/grass.  Next round, showed up in a freshly laundered shirt, tucked into a nice pair of shorts, and cleaned my shoes.  1st time I ever broke 80. Dress that way all the time now.

Also, he asked me how many times I repaired my divots.  Never was my answer.  Take care of the course and it will take care of you was the advice.

Usually here in Troy but I also get in a few rounds at Incline Village, Sun Valley and once in a while, at the Landings at Spirit.  I've also played at Florissant once and Bogey Hills once and a few courses at the Lake of the Ozarks.  I see you are in O'Fallon, where are you playing? Played again today.  Shot a 94.  8 fairways, 4 GIR's.   After bragging about the improvements in my putting, it let me down today..    I had 39 putts.............:pound:   Oh well, it was a beautiful day!  Too bad it is supposed to snow tomorrow.............:censored:

My normal rotation is incline, bear creek, wentzville, Crystal springs quarry, gateway, and Missouri bluffs. I also play Phesant run at least once a week in the evening. We get to Sun valley once a summer. We have never played in Troy. Can you reccomend one we should put on the agenda?

My normal rotation is incline, bear creek, wentzville, Crystal springs quarry, gateway, and Missouri bluffs. I also play Phesant run at least once a week in the evening. We get to Sun valley once a summer. We have never played in Troy. Can you reccomend one we should put on the agenda?

I've played Bear Creek once (forgot about it earlier).  I've never played Gateway, Wentzville, Crystal Springs or the bluffs.   Pheasant Run was the first round of golf I had played in 30 years..   My wife and I keep saying we should go back, just to see the difference in our scores now....

If you haven't ever played the Landings at Spirit, you might give it a go.    It's a links style course, so it isn't long on "pretty stuff" so my wife is not fond of it.  I personally like it.   The Florissant course is not bad.   Not long but it was in good shape when I played it last fall...  You ought to get yourself on the Walters Golf Management email list.  I signed up for it.   I get a few emails for places they manage that I don't care about but then I got a couple of them that are for private courses..  That is how I got the chance to play Bogey Hills (for the price of a cart, no less!).

I played today in another big wind (thought it was gonna knock me right off the tee box a couple of times)..    Shot an 87.   Had 11 fairways, 10 greens and 7 pars.   Crosswinds cost me a shot or two and a tail wind caused me to drown one.    I had 37 putts which is way more than I should have had but, my putting wasn't all that bad actually.   I mostly had the right speed and good lines but they are aerating the greens, so I had a few that should have dropped but because of the aeration, they didn't exactly roll true and thus didn't do what they should have/would have under normal conditions...

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I have a confession, not only to myself but to everyone else. Here goes:

I have been playing for 10 years now (started when I was 18) and have been told from the start from many people that I had a beautiful swing. I have never had a problem with distance, sometimes I don't take driver out of my bag at all. Pretty good with the long irons but have always struggled from 150yds and in. Short game comes and goes, I work on it here and there and it saves me a good amount of strokes sometimes. I average about 29-33 putts per round.

I have been lying to myself for the last 5 years about how good I am. I would play by myself and hit a bad shot, think "I wouldn't have attempted that shot in a tournament" drop a new ball and play it. When doing this I would score in the high 70s and low 80s (of course wouldn't we all?). This would happen maybe 3-6 times a round.

At the beginning of this year I had a resolution: respect the game and myself by being honest and playing the game how it is supposed to, with progress comes real scores and a better feeling after a round. I have played 4 times now and have not broken 90, it has been hard but when I got a 90 the other day at a new course with a lot of wind and 10 Penalties!!! I felt really good afterwards.

My goal is to improve confidence off the tee, work on my 8I-PW and get myself to a true single digit HC. Thank you.

I have a confession, not only to myself but to everyone else. Here goes:

I have been playing for 10 years now (started when I was 18) and have been told from the start from many people that I had a beautiful swing. I have never had a problem with distance, sometimes I don't take driver out of my bag at all. Pretty good with the long irons but have always struggled from 150yds and in. Short game comes and goes, I work on it here and there and it saves me a good amount of strokes sometimes. I average about 29-33 putts per round.

I have been lying to myself for the last 5 years about how good I am. I would play by myself and hit a bad shot, think "I wouldn't have attempted that shot in a tournament" drop a new ball and play it. When doing this I would score in the high 70s and low 80s (of course wouldn't we all?). This would happen maybe 3-6 times a round.

At the beginning of this year I had a resolution: respect the game and myself by being honest and playing the game how it is supposed to, with progress comes real scores and a better feeling after a round. I have played 4 times now and have not broken 90, it has been hard but when I got a 90 the other day at a new course with a lot of wind and 10 Penalties!!!  I felt really good afterwards.

My goal is to improve confidence off the tee, work on my 8I-PW and get myself to a true single digit HC. Thank you.

It makes a lot of difference when playing by the rule. There was a thread on this topic last year and the general consensus was that casual players who claim bogey golfer status actually shoots in 110 - 120 (or worse) when played by rule (no mulligan, no moving ball to get a better lie, no gimmies, play provision - lost distance + penalty, ...).   Improving starts with accurate scoring.    Sounds like you have the tools to play single HC golf without doing any  "funny" scoring.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

It makes a lot of difference when playing by the rule. There was a thread on this topic last year and the general consensus was that casual players who claim bogey golfer status actually shoots in 110 - 120 (or worse) when played by rule (no mulligan, no moving ball to get a better lie, no gimmies, play provision - lost distance + penalty, ...).   Improving starts with accurate scoring.    Sounds like you have the tools to play single HC golf without doing any  "funny" scoring.

I was thinking the same thing!   Having 10 penalty strokes and still managing to shoot a 90 is pretty impressive to me....

Real bogey golf is pretty fun. Most people we get partnered with probably think we're much better than we are. Many of us have gotten multiple pars per round, or even half a dozen or more in a row. It's a really comfortable level to play. I even got asked recently if I was a single digit player. Quite a nice complement, but I simply said no (wanted to say "not yet", but that would have been a little presumptuous). The "sob story" part of it is not quite relevant to me, because I enjoy it! As should we all!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Real bogey golf is pretty fun. Most people we get partnered with probably think we're much better than we are.

Yeah, that happens to me, too.  Casual players who play with me think I am better than my handicap.

Hey, I just noticed you posted your handicap, 17.3 as of this writing.   Finally, you are going official, on the record. ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Don't get too excited, the handicap was assigned to me. However, it's really close to my average. If the shoe fits. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I forgot to put that when people would tell me about my "beautiful" swing, it would inflate my ego and I always would think I should be better at this when I was playing poorly.

Also, I appreciate the complements. I have played in tournaments in the past, no cheating the rules there, and have done well, I guess I play better with pressure.

Heres what the Upro looks like. Just found out that they are closing the website at the end of the year. It sucks. its been a while since I looked at it. So I apologize for my numbers being so for off in my earlier Post.

Heres what the Upro looks like. Just found out that they are closing the website at the end of the year. It sucks.

I have the Upro mx+ and got the same info about it..   I agree it sucks but the good news is, you will still be able to use it, you just won't be able to track stats or add new courses to it.    I can live with that since I don't track stats with mine anyway.   I just need to guesstimate what other courses I might want to add to mine and do it this year..

I personally like the YOUR GOLF app for keeping track of stats.   It gives me FIR, GIR, GIR+1, putts, score analysis, stroke analysis, driving accuracy (including the percentage of fairways hit, and percentages of misses, both left and right), plus it has a scorecard feature which I like.

Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!