IGNORED

Anyone use A or R graphite iron shafts ?

Note: This thread is 2620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I went to golfsmith yesterday. Hit some irons. I then picked up the callaway big Bertha os iron. I have a 108 mph swing and use steel bladed irons and extra stiff woods. The callaway had a 460 f2 graphite shaft.  I proceeded to hit 10 perfect balls. So easy to hit. I could move the ball perfectly each way. Could a fast swing be best suited for a light graphite shaft, or is 55 too light? Or, could it just be the chunky huge iron?

what makes the difference if you are hitting 10 perfect, easy to hit, balls? The 108 mph swing is for what? Driver?.  Apparently, the swing is suited from what you are telling us.  Were the irons G.I. ?  not exactly sure what you are asking. As for "what others are using". my irons happen to be Legend Graphite Regular Flex for the most part.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm trying to learn a little a bit driver shafts. From what I've interpreted, the lighter shafts might provide more clubhead speed but at the expense of control. Is that anywhere close to being correct? 

The Titleist driver I've been looking at offers a couple of options for a regular flex shaft. One is the Diamana Blue 60 and the lighter Diamana Red 50.

I guess for someone like me who has a slower swing speed and has trouble keeping the ball in play, it's kind of pick your poison. I suppose I'd go with the slightly heavier 60g shaft?

What does this have to do with the OP? Probably very little. Other than if my understanding is correct, one with a faster swing speed might benefit from a heavier shaft. I could be completely off my rocker on this as I'm still trying to learn this stuff.

Also, is there still a Goldsmith open in Michigan @StefanUrkel?

Jon

3 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I'm trying to learn a little a bit driver shafts. From what I've interpreted, the lighter shafts might provide more clubhead speed but at the expense of control. Is that anywhere close to being correct? 

Other than if my understanding is correct, one with a faster swing speed might benefit from a heavier shaft. I could be completely off my rocker on this as I'm still trying to learn this stuff.

I would assume that a stiff shaft would favor swing speeds >100 mph. I am not sure what effect the shaft weight has other than overall swing weight increase. Kick points can be important as well. @WUTiger as I recall has some expertise in shafts, but I could be thinking of someone else. fwiw, I hit a driver with a stiff shaft, and it felt much better than what I usually use, but the launch monitor did not bear that out. Although the launch angle was good, the club head speed was less than what I anticipated.  My  take on this is a stiffer shaft helps me keep it straight, but at the cost of distance lost. Then again, I may be completely WRONG! 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

9 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

ig Bertha os iron. I have a 108 mph swing and use steel bladed irons and extra stiff woods. The callaway had a 460 f2 graphite shaft.  I proceeded to hit 10 perfect balls.

This is a 65-gram shaft, and the F2 indicates a senior flex. The lighter graphite shafts, especially the Recoils, are fitted into a clubhead. The graphite iron shafts of late feel much more balanced to me than the earlier ones, which had a feathery feel as if the club disappeared at the top.

As usual, I would recommend you get on a launch monitor and see what the numbers say. And, try it again a few days later to see if it works again... make sure it's not a one-day fluke.

5 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

From what I've interpreted, the lighter shafts might provide more clubhead speed but at the expense of control. Is that anywhere close to being correct?

A Golf Digest feature - about 3 years back, I can't find it now - addressed this. Club designers reported that the lightweight shafts delivered the best results to people with very precise swings - they could drop a light club into the slot just as well as a heavier club. Many average golfers, however, tend to overswing with the lighter shafts. So, one might say that the people the lightweight shaft was designed to most help often don't have the swing to capitalize on it.

A related point. Flex and shaft weight are distinct issues, but related to each other. My Cobra FlyZ 4H has a 75 gram Senior Flex shaft. I wouldn't have believed the two came together until Todd the clubfitter said, "Here hit this!" It only took me about four balls to get the club zeroed in. (My other clubs are all R-flex.)

Shaft weight and flex are also related to swing tempo. Google around and read up on this. Also, investigate the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. The factors which the MSO charts will tell you a lot about your swing, and give you a short list of shafts to try.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Good deal. I am glad my instincts pointed you in the right direction in that @WUTiger responded. I was not sure if my memory served me correctly. Apparently it did.

"James"

Age 71, slow swing speed (about 85) with 6 iron. My pro suggested graphite,  Changed shafts from Dynalite Gold XP to Aldila VS Proto-HL, one-soft stepped, in my Mizuno MX100's. So these are A+2/3 or R-1/3. Work was done by a professional club builder and fit for me. Spine-aligned etc. Hit them on the range before spine surgery in November, about 75 balls. Absolutely wonderful results. Probably 1/2 club or more gained in distance. (Also have a Project X 4.5, 11.5 Degree Shaft in my driver.) MarvChamp

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2017 at 11:36 AM, MarvChamp said:

Age 71, slow swing speed (about 85) with 6 iron. My pro suggested graphite,  Changed shafts from Dynalite Gold XP to Aldila VS Proto-HL, one-soft stepped, in my Mizuno MX100's. So these are A+2/3 or R-1/3. Work was done by a professional club builder and fit for me. Spine-aligned etc. Hit them on the range before spine surgery in November, about 75 balls. Absolutely wonderful results. Probably 1/2 club or more gained in distance. (Also have a Project X 4.5, 11.5 Degree Shaft in my driver.) MarvChamp

Well, 85 MPH with a 6 iron,........i would not call slow swing...........

"Well, 85 MPH with a 6 iron,........i would not call slow swing..........."

EEK! Absolutely right! I was studying my swing speed chart that we did when I "fitted" my existing clubs and misspoke. Driver was 85 (kept the existing shaft there).  For 5 and 6 iron, it was about 77. The lighter soft-stepped shafts really helped. Thanks, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Back to the original post. Graphite with irons. The only experience I've had is with older graphite shafts. In my case, that would be Hogan Legend High Performance Graphite. I am sure they are not as good as modern day sticks, but they feel good to me and I get plenty of feed back on mishits with the forged heads.  On my hybrids and woods, almost all are graphite and I do not recall seeing any steel drivers anymore. Although my Hogan Speed Slot woods have steel shafts. 

"James"

Note: This thread is 2620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!