IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Last week - Holed out from a bunker on 18 for a par. It wasn't really a good shot, it would've probably gone off the other side of the green had the stick not gotten in the way. Best shot of the round was probably a LW from about 85 yds. that I stuck about 4 feet from the hole. Missed the putt.

2 weeks ago - Holed out a chip for birdie from the left side of the green on a 190ish par 3. The chip had about 8 feet of break once the ball got rolling. I played it perfectly, landed it exactly where I wanted, and my speed was perfect, had it not gone it it would've been a 6 in. kick in at most.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

#10, 430 yard par 4. Drove it down the middle to 145 leaving me a shot slightly up hill. Stuck the 8 iron to about two feet. The pitchmark was about six inches in front of the hole (if I'd only hit it a bit harder, eh) and spun sideways. Tap in bird. Followed it up with two pars but collapsed thereafter.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Played in a scramble (which I normally don't do) on Sunday. Was the first guy to hit off the #9 tee (614 yard par 5...huge dogleg right over houses). I crush it right down the middle leaving us about 255 to the pin. Other two guys don't even come close to mine so we take my ball.

Second shot...I go first again. Take a three wood and thread it through two trees, over a lake right at the pin. It stops five feet past the hole. Again, the two guys can't come close. I putt it in for the eagle.

Easily the best shot I've hit all year. I love that feeling when you hit the sweet spot on the three wood and it never leaves the target. Now if I could only feel that more often!
underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

156 yard par 3 surounded by 4 bunkers and water on the left, green slopes back to front, in to a fairly strong wind hit a perfect fade with 7 iron looked awsomeee in the air to about 10 foot stopped just next to its pitch mark, needless to say i missed the putt lol

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I played last Monday at Piney Branch (a private course in Hampstead, Maryland) I found the course to be very difficult due to drastic elevation changes and fast greens. I had back-to-back great shots that I'll talk about for a while - or at least until my buddies tell me to shut up.

First was a 25 foot sidehill putt that broke about 10 feet. Right in the center of the cup for birdie!

Next, a 168 yd uphill par 3 to a pin placed just beyond a deep trap. Hit a 6-iron to within 2 feet. Another birdie!

(Really exciting for me considering I'd never played the course and I've only earned consecutive birdies a few times in my life.)

My best shots of my round yesterday were both on par 3s. The first was on #2 a 182 yard hole. I used my ping i3 blade 6 iron, and with a nice smooth swing I played a little draw and landed on the green in front of the hole, it released and rolled up to what looked like about 3 or 4 feet. When we got to the hole it was 4 inches from a hole in one!! Then on #4 a 165 yard par 3 I used my 7 iron. The flag was in the middle of the green so I just wanted to hit it straight at the hole. I played the shot and the ball landed about 5 feet in front of the hole and rolled up to 10 inches from another hole in one!!

Chipped in today for an eagle on the 480 yard par 5 17th. Drove it up the right side, pulled the 3 wood pin-high but 30 yards to the left, pitched it up to the fringe and rolled on down into the hole. Only bright spot on an otherwise so-so day.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

My best shot was a 9 iron from 141yds. to a foot which enabled me to get my 'trifector'-3 birdies in a row.was not impressed with the 2 three putts on #4,17 from inside 30 feet though!Cheers Flash

#8 - 192 yd. par 3. Pulled my tee shot to about 10 feet left of the green. I had maybe 15 ft. of green to work with between me and the pin. Pitched it to 6 inches for a tap-in par.

1st runner up. #1 handicap hole on the course - #4 - 391 yd. par 4, slight dogleg right with a decent-sized creek you have to carry on your approach. Hit a nice, long straight drive down the left hand side of the fairway. The green is uphill, over the creek, and it's a huge, two-tiered green that is probably a 3-club difference from front to back. Pin was way in the back on the upper tier. I hit a 6 iron beautifully to the back side of the lower tier - it rolled up to the upper tier and left me with a nice, flat 20 footer. Hit a nice putt, and tapped in for a par.

5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I played at Stanford U golf course and hit a 6 iron out of thick rough low under a tree limb (its very hard for me to hit it low out of thick rough), over a trap and managed to hold it on the green.
Can somebody help me?
Does anybody know how I can get my book reviewed on The Sand Trap.com? I recently got a book published. Its called "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros". It tells the story of my path to the pro tour while working as a surgeon in Southeast Asia. You can get a more substantial backstory by looking the book up on Amazon.com
Thank you..

Author of "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros"
www.reidsheftall.com

Best shot of the week was my wife's. She's only been playing a couple of months, but she's progressing pretty quickly. Her best score is a 113. She's got a handful of pars, but no birdies, until Saturday.

Par 4, #7, water down the entire left hand side. She hits her drive pretty nice, down the right hand side of the fairway. About a hundred yards to the pin, she hits an iron just over the backside of the green. Probably has 35 feet to the hole, 10 ft. carry to the green. She hits a perfect chip that lands on the green, looks like the speed is pretty nice, it looks like it's going to be close, real close, it has a chance, YES!, drops perfectly into the cup for her first birdie ever! It was really cool to be there to watch her do that.

Mine was probably the longest drive of my life that wasn't assisted by wind or elevation - 283 in the fairway on #10.

Wynstone Golf Club in Barrington, IL

Last Friday I hit a 6-iron here and just about holed it out for my first ever hole-in-one.

I hit the shot as good as I could ever hit it, and it landed about 5 feet short of the hole, and about 5 feet left.. the undulation made it roll RIGHT past the hole, and it stopped about a foot to the right.. was a great shot..

Driver: SUMO 5000 8.5* w/ Aldila Proto-65 X 45.5"
3-wood: SQ w/ Diamana 83 X +1"
Hybrid: SuMo 2h w/ Project X +1"
Irons: MP-33 1-PW w/ TT X100 Sensicore +1"
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

Best shot of the week was my wife's. She's only been playing a couple of months, but she's progressing pretty quickly. Her best score is a 113. She's got a handful of pars, but no birdies, until Saturday.

It's pretty cool when you are with someone the first time they do something like that. About 3 years ago my wife and I went and played and she chipped in for her first birdie ever. The only problem was that she actually made it before I had my first one of the year. I kept lipping out and had a total mental block going for a couple months. Fortunately I managed to birdie two holes later to tie her for the year. I took the lead the next day.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Actually, I had two "bests" this weekend.

The first one was on a 148 yard par 3, front pin placement. There was about a half club wind in my face, so I tried to hit a low shot with my 8 iron. Unfortunately, I pulled my tee shot and my ball ended up back-left of the green just a few feet into the rough.

The problem was that the green is shaped like an "8" with the pin in the front. From where I was, I couldn't chip the ball directly at the hole. To make matters worse, the green tilted back to front and sloped right to left (when facing back towards the tee box). If I tried to be too "cute" with a chip shot, I could've easily chipped it off the green or back into the rough. The smart move would've been to just chip it back onto the fat part of the green in the back and try to salvage par with a long putt.

Well, since I've never been accused of being intelligent, I opted to pitch the ball over the narrow mid-section of the green and land it on the high-side of the lower portion of the green. From there, I figured the slope of the green would feed the ball towards the hole.

Sure enough, I pull the shot off. I land it exactly where I wanted to. As a bonus, not only did my ball feed towards the hole, it went in for a birdie. My buddy just looked at me with his mouth open. I looked back at him and simply kissed my wedge.

A few holes later we get on a 538 yard par 5. After two very indifferent shots, I had 155 yards to the pin. Since the wind was picking up, I decided to hit a low fade with my 7-iron. My shot lands just left of the hole and rolls towards the pin. I get to my ball and it is just a few inches from the hole. I tap it in for my second birdie of the day.

DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I had a few good shots 1. i had 178 on par 3 and hit tee shot too 12 feet, with faaaaassssst downhill r to l put which i drained. 2nd. Then birdied hole afta, 3rd. then stuck a 7 ironto 2 feet on 3rd and rolled it in. 3 birds to start with!!
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

This is the best shot I had all year.

The hole is a short par four(324 yards) with a slight dogleg to the right(about 45 degrees). The hole is protected by trees on the right and out of bounds on the left. If your brave, and can hit a high cut over the trees on the right... this can leave a wedge into the green. So that is what I try... I open the face of my driver slightly and aim down the right side... I hit a good fade but it is not high enough and the ball hits the top of the trees and lands in the middle of the trees about 150 yards from the green(I could not see the green or the hole, trees blocked my view) My only shot... hit it high enough to clear the right side of the pine tree in front of me, and hook around the right edge of an Oak tree toward the unseen green(about 5 feet of clearance to get the ball started and hopefully turning left).

I hit the shot perfect... it clears the pine in front and hooks around the Oak, the ball lands and the green and rolls to about a foot from the pin... and I make birdie.(better yet it got me three skins and $30)

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

On the long par 5 dogleg left 13th hole at my home course I pushed a short drive into the right hand rough that just lenghtened the hole (and I thought I was shooting for a bogey at that point), but then hit a good 3 wood back to the center of the fairway leaving right at 200 yards to the pin. Hit a towering 5 wood that looked straight, but l lost sight of it. Upon arriving at the green I found I was in the leather for a tap in birdie. That was a great 5 wood shot.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

#7 on Saturday - 419 yd. par 4 with a double dogleg, first right, then back left. I crushed a drive through the end of the fairway. Now I have trees all down my right side between me and the green - my options are to punch / chip back out to the fairway or to hit a big fade that starts down the left hand side of the trees and then fades right over a big tree and lands on the green.

I JUST started playing around with fading and drawing the ball on the range a couple weeks ago, and I haven't really put it to use out on the course yet. Here's my chance. I decide to give the big fade a try.

I pull my 9 iron and I execute the shot perfectly, start it on the right line down the left hand side of the trees, it looks like it has a perfect amount of fade on it, and it is high enough to not only clear the big tree, but it lands softly on the fringe and kicks to the middle of the green about 20 feet from the hole. 2 putt for my par.

I know I'm not going to pull that off every time, but It felt really good to have the confidence to try it, and to know that those types of shots are in my bag to dig me out of trouble when I need them. Being able to work the ball like that makes golf an entirely different game.