IGNORED

My Swing (Psychonana)

Psychonana
Note: This thread is 2790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 46 years... since I was 4 years old... I am now 28!!!
My current handicap index or average score is: 5.2 - Average score is approx 78
My typical ball flight is: Low and piercing off the tee and with long irons, more lobbie with approach
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull hook! Grrrrrr....

Videos: 

Frontal:

Down the line:

Dancing with my pull hook:

Welcome to swing threads. Saw your other post too introducing yourself, and the interesting one about risk shots. Sounds like you're getting immersed in golf again!

The site here is getting better and better at embedding various content, but apparently we do not have hudl yet (nor do we support attaching MOV files- not scalable to entire membership). Is there a way you can get these to youtube or vimeo?

As you get involved here, folks will start to arrive and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback. Embedding will help to save the extra clicks. 

Again, welcome and see you around! 

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Welcome to swing threads. Saw your other post too introducing yourself, and the interesting one about risk shots. Sounds like you're getting immersed in golf again!

The site here is getting better and better at embedding various content, but apparently we do not have hudl yet (nor do we support attaching MOV files- not scalable to entire membership). Is there a way you can get these to youtube or vimeo?

As you get involved here, folks will start to arrive and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback. Embedding will help to save the extra clicks. 

Again, welcome and see you around! 

Thanks RandallT, Ill try to sort out these links.. I'm not a paying Hudl subscriber so I don't think I can access these... I'lll see what else I can dig up.  What Other media formats will display?

1 minute ago, Psychonana said:

Thanks RandallT, Ill try to sort out these links.. I'm not a paying Hudl subscriber so I don't think I can access these... I'lll see what else I can dig up.  What Other media formats will display?

I think for now the videos are youtube and vimeo.

Here's a good link to show that the platform is constantly expanding though:

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

But back to the topic, nice swing.

Something to consider- you might give us a heads up about things like:

• Do you have an instructor?
  • Have you identified what you think is your biggest weakness?
  • If not, do you want help figuring that out? Keep in mind, people speak plainly, and sometimes misunderstandings about "tone" can arise. You'll likely hear stuff you agree with, but will have to deal with stuff you disagree with

Most of us defer to instructors regarding the guidance, but if you have an instructor, some of the experts here can and will do a double-check to make sure that the direction they are heading with you makes sense.

Update: EMBEDS fixed, I think. Carry on :-)

In the future @Psychonana use this to help: https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (Psychonana)
(edited)
15 minutes ago, RandallT said:

But back to the topic, nice swing.

Something to consider- you might give us a heads up about things like:

• Do you have an instructor?
  • Have you identified what you think is your biggest weakness?
  • If not, do you want help figuring that out? Keep in mind, people speak plainly, and sometimes misunderstandings about "tone" can arise. You'll likely hear stuff you agree with, but will have to deal with stuff you disagree with

Most of us defer to instructors regarding the guidance, but if you have an instructor, some of the experts here can and will do a double-check to make sure that the direction they are heading with you makes sense.

Yep, I have an instructor. I've made great gains in the past 12 months so I can't say really what is my biggest weakness regarding my ball striking, I'm fairly happy with that right now. Currently I'm working on adding a bit more height to my ball flight so I have a bit more flexibility on approach. 

That said, that driver tends to let me down, and I probably should leave it in the bag more than I do. Overall I think I am loosing my shots with my course management to be honest. I'm always interested in what people have to say... and I'll take from it what I feel I can put into practice. :)

Edited by Psychonana

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Psychonana said:

Yep, I have an instructor. I've made great gains in the past 12 months so I can't say really what is my biggest weakness regarding my ball striking, I'm fairly happy with that right now. Currently I'm working on adding a bit more height to my ball flight so I have a bit more flexibility on approach. 

That said, that driver tends to let me down, and I probably should leave it in the bag more than I do. Overall I think I am loosing my shots with my course management to be honest. I'm always interested in what people have to say... and I'll take from it what I feel I can put into practice. :)

The lack of height is partly due to how "over" it you get with your left arm and ultimately the clubhead. You'll want to swing more from the inside (i.e. not anywhere near as steep a plane) to help facilitate a higher launch.

These "over the top" or "axe chopping" type swings are really good ways to "cheat" impact as you can move the low point pretty far forward. Swinging from the inside doesn't let you get away with that as much and really makes you get proper contact the right way.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

The lack of height is partly due to how "over" it you get with your left arm and ultimately the clubhead. You'll want to swing more from the inside (i.e. not anywhere near as steep a plane) to help facilitate a higher launch.

These "over the top" or "axe chopping" type swings are really good ways to "cheat" impact as you can move the low point pretty far forward. Swinging from the inside doesn't let you get away with that as much and really makes you get proper contact the right way.

Well spotted, but could it be that it's the right arm that is causing the blip or shift in swing plane to the outside... if you look at it just before the top of my backswing you can see this weird right arm angle shift that pushes my left arm up considerably. Its like my shoulder joint does something funky forcing a change in direction.  If I shorten my backswing it all but disappears and the swing plane is far better looking.

The problem for me with swinging from the inside is that it also magnifies slice considerably. 

11 minutes ago, Psychonana said:

I can't say really what is my biggest weakness regarding my ball striking,

That's a good problem to have. ;-)
A couple of things I would suggest, the pull/hook driver swing is the result of the arms not quite extending at impact.
With the iron, the club head continues along the target line through and after impact. Very good.
With the driver, the club head arc starts turning back at impact, or slightly before.
As Erik mentioned,

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

You'll want to swing more from the inside

The mats are a great source to practice drills of the club path/arc.
I wish all mats had the arc painted on them for visual drills.
 Get the feel of the driver head continuing along the arc, a term used "allow the hands to continue towards the target.
Think of using a basketball in place of the club and throw it at a target. 

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator

The problem for me with swinging from the inside is that it also magnifies slice considerably. 

Because you're currently having to roll the face or else you'll slice these shots, too, and when you come from the inside properly (just on plane) your wrists tend to be more stable and unable to roll as aggressively. That's a good thing.

If I were you while working with an instructor I would put a stick in the ground on the shaft angle and two feet behind the ball, and practice swinging under that stick and pushing and/or drawing every golf ball. No fades, no pulls.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

If I were you while working with an instructor I would put a stick in the ground on the shaft angle and two feet behind the ball, and practice swinging under that stick and pushing and/or drawing every golf ball. No fades, no pulls.

Assuming something like this? Sounds like it would help... I'll give it a go and report back.... I'm still worried about that blip on the top of my backswing, it looks so weird.

alignment-stick-drill-570x570-v01.png.6145da6a3e3b7f5360270c4de7429e79.png

• Administrator

Assuming something like this? Sounds like it would help... I'll give it a go and report back.... I'm still worried about that blip on the top of my backswing, it looks so weird.

Yes. Without the stick on the ground, though. Contrast the backswing and downswing you have versus, say, Carl Petterssen who is in a similar spot at the top as you.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

He gets there without the momentum pushing him to tip everything out.

(edited)
22 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes. Without the stick on the ground, though. Contrast the backswing and downswing you have versus, say, Carl Petterssen who is in a similar spot at the top as you.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

He gets there without the momentum pushing him to tip everything out.

Man, how does he get so far inside... definitely will search out his swing videos. Looking at them now, interesting that he also has such an open stance... I do the same, and even exaggerate this on purpose when I'm having an off day with my swing to help be square off the face.

Edited by Psychonana

Imo, if you want to match your takeaway up with your BS n DS you need way more hip rotation in the BS.

And I mean more hip rotation out the gate. 

Edited by JDP

• Administrator
7 hours ago, JDP said:

Imo, if you want to match your takeaway up with your BS n DS you need way more hip rotation in the BS.

And I mean more hip rotation out the gate. 

I don't think that's his priority right now.

He seems to get a reasonable amount of hip turn for now:

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-11%20at%2012.36.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think that's his priority right now.

He seems to get a reasonable amount of hip turn for now:

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-11%20at%2012.36.

I didn't say it very clear or well, Should have said more in sync hip rotation especially in the takeaway. To me it seems he is using too much arms in the takeaway and left arm gets to far across his chest, right elbow already stuck behind. He has to make the Steep move in transition to get unstuck, which he does fantastically.  

Daly.png

• Administrator
Just now, JDP said:

I didn't say it very clear or well, Should have said more in sync hip rotation especially in the takeaway. To me it seems he is using too much arms in the takeaway and left arm gets to far across his chest, right elbow already stuck behind. He has to make the Steep move in transition to get unstuck, which he does fantastically.

I don't think that sniffs the top ten of his priorities. It's so early in the swing that there's a ton of time for things to sync back up.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think that sniffs the top ten of his priorities. It's so early in the swing that there's a ton of time for things to sync back up.

The earlier you get disconnected the more compensations your making up later and more compensations to get in sync is well just harder to do. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this 1.

Note: This thread is 2790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!