IGNORED

Older Irons

Note: This thread is 2607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious if any others user older irons.  I have a set of older TaylorMade Supersteel irons with the bubble shafts and I recently replaced them with a set of Ping G25's.  After using the Pings for a while the Supersteels are back in my bag.  I hit them so much better than the Pings and will probably be selling the G25's soon.  For me at least newer wasn't better.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

A friend of mine still plays the original Callaway X14 Steelheads from circa 2002. His long clubs - driver, FW and hybrids - are fairly new, but his irons are semi-classic and still work well.

He's in his mid-60s and is "young for his age" physically, which helps.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

A friend of mine still plays the original Callaway X14 Steelheads from circa 2002. His long clubs - driver, FW and hybrids - are fairly new, but his irons are semi-classic and still work well.

He's in his mid-60s and is "young for his age" physically, which helps.

I am older also (62).  Maybe that's it, we just refuse to change.  :)

2 hours ago, wrightwrjr said:

Just curious if any others user older irons.  I have a set of older TaylorMade Supersteel irons with the bubble shafts and I recently replaced them with a set of Ping G25's.  After using the Pings for a while the Supersteels are back in my bag.  I hit them so much better than the Pings and will probably be selling the G25's soon.  For me at least newer wasn't better.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

similar experiences. In the past 30 years, I think I have only bought new irons perhaps only 3 times, always going back to  the pre-2000 era. I had Adams Tight Lies, Adams AEo (or something like that) which were a mix of hybrids, and SGI irons. The first change to a new set (at the time) were a set of Titleist 963 DCI Blacks. The current set is graphite shafted Hogan Edges. Prior to the Hogan's I used various Spaulding, Macgregor muscle backs. The oldest set was some 2-SW Bobby Jones with leather grips which I got at a garage sale at the time for around $40. Those were hefty, probably a swing weight of E2. Recently I have acquired modern Driver, Fairway Wood, and hybrid(s), but the Hogans suit me just fine.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I put new drivers and long clubs in my bag every few years - but my irons not much at all. I played Hogan Apex PC's for years, and replaced those in about 2004 or '05 with Hogan Edge CFT that are still in my bag. Just keep putting new grips on them every couple of years.

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

I put new drivers and long clubs in my bag every few years - but my irons not much at all. I played Hogan Apex PC's for years, and replaced those in about 2004 or '05 with Hogan Edge CFT that are still in my bag. Just keep putting new grips on them every couple of years.

Wow...I'll bet the CFT irons seemed like cheating after playing the PC!  That's going from one of Hogan's least forgiving models to one of their most forgiving models.  It probably felt like taking candy from a baby!

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

2 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

Wow...I'll bet the CFT irons seemed like cheating after playing the PC!  That's going from one of Hogan's least forgiving models to one of their most forgiving models.  It probably felt like taking candy from a baby!

Never tried any Hogan actual blades. I do like the APEX Plus,which if I am not mistaken came out just after the Edge. Really nice looking sticks.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I played TopFlight Syncho-Dyne irons from HS to mid college (8 years), switched to MacGregor MTs for 20 years, and then played Ping Eye2 clones(Pro Tour Blacks) for 14 years. Played Callaway X20s for two years, now play Callaway X20 Tours for last 5 years (but reshafted to something lighter than PX originals).

I switched when I had maturity or swing-change factors* which meant those irons no longer worked for me. Like, things that lessons and practice couldn't solve.
-----------------------
*MTs are an exception. They were blades, and early 90s technology delivered irons much easier to hit.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!